Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealthHalen logistics, need advice about seats close to drum riser?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
I did not know where to put this topic,

Hello, ARE DPA 4061 good for arena first nine rows of a Halen show?  Wil there be to much boom from onstage noise?

I know traditionally the 4061 omni's are good close but amphitheaters, waht about loud rock inside up close?

please advise

thanks

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: stealthHalen logistics, need advice about seats close to drum riser?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
of the few VH shows I've seen this tour, it sounds like crap from EVERYWHERE in the arena.  They need to tone down the boom factor.  Thankfully the recordings we made sound a little better than the sound at th show...bass roll off on the Schoeps VMS02IB can be your friend.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:08:10 PM »
I have liked most of the recordings so far from the tour.  At least the ones that are available via torrent.  I just did not know if the 4022 or 4061 would do well. Using either 20db fixed gain, or mma6000pre amp.  The 4022's might get to much bottom end, where the 4061 might be able to handle the bottom end, but i would have to watch the clip at the high end,

stevetoney

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 02:17:20 AM »
I'm not gonna pretend to be able to answer this with any degree of expert, cause I only attend small shows anymore...but I once was third row at a large show and the sound system was really a good sound system suspended left and right so that the speaker stacks were above, but not all the way up on the ceiling. I was probably only 12 yards from the left speaker stack.  What I found was that the sound was still very clean up that close and didn't blow my ears out, but the bass was REALLY, and I mean REALLY overpowering for the rig.  I would have pulled a perfect recording, but the sound pressure from the bass caused the recording to go over the top. 

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:47:54 AM »
I'm not gonna pretend to be able to answer this with any degree of expert, cause I only attend small shows anymore...but I once was third row at a large show and the sound system was really a good sound system suspended left and right so that the speaker stacks were above, but not all the way up on the ceiling. I was probably only 12 yards from the left speaker stack.  What I found was that the sound was still very clean up that close and didn't blow my ears out, but the bass was REALLY, and I mean REALLY overpowering for the rig.  I would have pulled a perfect recording, but the sound pressure from the bass caused the recording to go over the top. 

yes, i agree, i have been very close for a wolfmother show and the same thing, clean sound but overpowering BOOM.  What if i record with decreawd gain so to avoid clipping the lower end and maybe be able to EQ in post?

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 05:54:32 AM »

yes, i agree, i have been very close for a wolfmother show and the same thing, clean sound but overpowering BOOM.  What if i record with decreawd gain so to avoid clipping the lower end and maybe be able to EQ in post?

Makes sense.  I should have mentioned that for the above shows I was only running AT-853's into a battery box, so I didn't have the benefit of having any level meters with me.  You also said you're running undercover, so maybe you also won't be able to watch levels.  I'd think running the gain back and adjusting in post would be a wash with using bass roll-off to try to balance it better on the spot. 

Too bad you can't run open with an FR2LE because you could monitor what your getting directly through the headphone monitors and adjust on the fly.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
I have liked most of the recordings so far from the tour.  At least the ones that are available via torrent.  I just did not know if the 4022 or 4061 would do well. Using either 20db fixed gain, or mma6000pre amp.  The 4022's might get to much bottom end, where the 4061 might be able to handle the bottom end, but i would have to watch the clip at the high end,

i would think the 4061s would pick up more boom since they are omnis

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 12:58:48 PM »
thank you thats kinda what i needed to know, i did not know if the omni's would pick up more bass.  So the 4022's would be better if it were a boomy room?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
http://dpamicrophones.com/page.php?PID=25

>>Low frequency response
Omnidirectional condenser microphones have in general a more extended low frequency response and lower distortion than directional microphones in a distance of over 30 cm. In listening tests, this is often described as a "fuller or warmer response in the bass". Again, equalization is needed on the directional microphone to compensate for the bass loss.<<

4022s would be better in a boomy room

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
thanks so much

the knowledge is just so much appreciated.

I am trying to understand all of it

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com