Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixed channels on matrix  (Read 1695 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Mixed channels on matrix
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »
So last night I went to tape a show, and at the very last second before the show started the sound engineer decided to give me a patch as well, but since the band was going up on the stage, i wassn't looking when i put in my left and right 1/4 inch plugs and now i have no idea if my channels are true to the show for my soundboard recording.

Besides just listening back with the channels flip flopped to see which one sounds correct, does anyone have any tips for figuring out which is the true left and true right of a recording in a matrix mix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Josh

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mixed channels on matrix
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:48:22 PM »
if it was a mono sbd out, it wouldnt matter if they were flipped. if it was stereo, you should be able to hear where each band member was by listening to headphones and thinking of how they were setup onstage. if this is wrong or doesnt make sense it cause i have been saucing since 3pm.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »
Listen to the tracks for where the drums sit in the stereo field.  A lot of engineers mix in stereo, but only really pan the drums - especially in smaller rooms.

If in stereo, the snare should be panned center right, high-hat should be the same or more to the right.  Toms and cymbals should help define the left.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:58:37 PM »
If you switch the channels on mixdown, it should be out of phase.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline BruPri

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
If in fact you were given a stereo feed, best thing is to rely on your sense memory and try to recall any guitar solos or performance spacial cues that you remember seeing that would give a point of reference...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com