Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WAV - squared off - what happened here?  (Read 6642 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
WAV - squared off - what happened here?
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I got a recording from a taper (the raw WAV file, nothing done to it) and started to master it today.  I immediately noticed that the WAV was squared off through much of the recording, but it is not clipping - it is ~8 dB below zero.  When I listen, there is no obvious distortion.  I'm wondering what may have happened during the recording to cause this.  All I know about the equipment is Soundfield ST250 > AV340.  Here is a link to a 1 min. mp3 sample at the beginning which coincides with the screenshot.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5yt632

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: WAV - squared off - what happened here?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Zoom in all the way. Is it still squared off then? If so, it's probably brickwalling.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:05:38 AM »
Does brickwalling always cause distortion? This "sounds" okay.

Here are two more screenshots.  The first is zoomed all the way out so you can see the effect on the entire recording.  The second is zoomed in on a 5 sec. segment so you can see it squared off.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Petrus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
Limiter?

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
If there is no audible distortion, then that is compression (soft clipping) , and lots of it!

Here's a great intro to limiting / compression:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression
The article is a Wiki, and not 100% accurate.
Probably due to the differences in terminology within the various parts of the audio and electronics industry

What was the source?  SF > Archos only???
Was it a recording made with the with ALC?

Was this thing in the signal chain?!!!:

The "Holy Grail" Fairchild 670

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:28:52 AM by &etc »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
limiter or compression of a high volume track???

Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
I'm not sure what else was in the signal chain.  I have a message out to the taper but don't expect to hear back until Wednesday. I see some notes from after the show where both bass and attentuation were set to "on" for the ST250.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
vanark, first off I'm sorry, but I don't have the answer to your question. The waveforms look to me as if some analog circuitry was clipping before the signal was fed into the A/D converters. If these are the non-encoded waveforms, then given the very slight unevenness of their peak amplitudes they don't look as if they were clipped digitally and then reduced in level, which sometimes occurs.

On the other hand if the waveforms in the pictures were taken from MP3 files, then all bets are off because the MP3 encoding process plays around with all sorts of things in a signal, and in that case, I doubt that any of us here can reliably tell you what caused this. You'll have to find out how the recording was made, and find the weak link in the chain (the circuit stage that overloads first) step by step. Let us know if you need help.

Your message said "... but it is not clipping - it is ~8 dB below zero." If, however, the microphones and/or the inputs to the microphone preamps were being pushed into overload, you could get waveforms like this even though the eventual peak recorded level was well below full scale. The record level control is typically situated in the circuit of a recorder (particularly if it has both microphone and line inputs) at a point which (in terms of signal flow) is "after" the recorder's internal mike preamps. Thus it merely controls the gain with which the preamps' output is fed into the A/D converter. If the preamps' output is already clipped because of input overload, you could record those clipped signals at low levels, medium levels, high levels--any levels you want, really--but they will still be clipped.

When you use a given type of microphone with a certain powering arrangement and you connect that to a given preamp or recorder, there is a maximum sound pressure level which is the highest that the combination can handle without overload. It isn't a digital thing--it's purely analog, and believe me, the problem was just as prevalent back in the analog era. At some certain sound pressure level either the microphone itself will begin to put out distorted signals because it can't handle the SPLs (perhaps as a result of improper powering and/or loading), or the preamp/recorder input will start to distort because the voltages from the microphone are too strong for it. The level at which the resulting waveforms are recorded is a completely separate issue in most cases.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 01:02:15 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »
DSatz, thank you for the detailed response.  I think I understand a little more now.   :)  I sure would like to figure this out so I can provide some feedback to the taper.

Here is a WAV sample - 15 sec.  In case anyone wants to take a look at the uncompressed file.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ppadwg

+T's all around for the feedback so far.

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
There is some clipping.  Although it's not widespread.  If it sounds OK, then it IS OK  ;D

Nothing that can be done to fix this show, just try to avoid it next show.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »
Thanks, Joe.  I guess I understood it was clipping, but why it was clipping so far below 0dB was what I was hoping to find out.

+T

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
It is because something early in the chain was maxed out gainwise. It could be the mic, it could be preamp input stage. I am not too familiar with that rig. I think a PAD was needed somewhere though. Doesn't matter if the meter was hitting 0 or -15 it was getting maxed out before that. At least that is what I am assuming.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »
I can't get much more info from the taper, so we'll have to leave it with our guesses, unfortunately. If it was my recording, I'd be able to provide more info and maybe we could figure out the source/solution.

Thanks for all your help.  +T's to those I haven't given them to already. 

Link to LMA Recordings

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:11:22 PM »
I'm having a squaring off issue on one part (the bottom) of my wav.   ???  Mr. Skalinder is looking into this but I'm hoping to hear from DSatz and others on this as well.

Here's the deal:
"left" mic directly between two cellos with their amps right behind them.  "right" mic situated in the tablas (with tabla amp just  behind him) and about 3' from the drum kit.  A guitar, amped, was well off to the left and really wouldn't come into play here.  He only sat in on a few tunes.

Rig is the AKG 414 lineage below, both mics set on omni.  It was a split omni pull split about 3 feet.  The mic stands were only up 2 & 3 feet, respectively, over a wood floor (an issue I hadn't considered before).  It was my first recording with the 414's and I used no attenuation whatsoever.  While I've seen this once or twice with the MBHOs I never thought much about it until I saw this thread.

Any assistance is much appreciated - thanks!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »
Dean-

Reflections?         :hmmm:

Since it seems to be happening with both sets of mics... perhaps the Preamp has something odd going on?
Have you tried the same mic arrangement with a different Pre/AD ?
Do you use the same cables with both mics? Perhaps (this is a real longshot here) a crystalized solder joint causing a diode-like effect? (it can happen, but is super-rare with modern solder and good technique)
Try any other set of cables.
Can you duplicate this in a test environment?

Have you touched base with whoever modded the Pre, so that they can see the waveform?

Vanark-

I recently recorded a show which had a Meyer reinforcement system set with some form of limiting on it.
I noticed about two songs into the show that I could crank the levels to peak at -3db and never topped 0bd.
The limiting / compression was on the source, in this case.
My peaks could have been -3db or -20db, depending on where I set the levels.
If there was strong soft clipping at the source, it would shown at -3db or -20db, depending on where my levels where.
This idea applies to each stage of the input chain.
The mic's built-in amplifier, the Pre, the A/D, and any digital (ie.- DSP) processing could each limit peaks and the levels applied after would simply "contain" them at the level recorded.

Here's a way to determine if the source may have been MP3 or mini-disk, although that doesn't really apply to your case, since you have a pretty solid idea as to the lineage:
http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/compression/Spectral.htm

No matter what, it doesn't sound bad.
Normalize volume to the level to a peak of -3db for louder playback and you are good to go!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:22:01 PM by &etc »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com