Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre recommendations for Oktava MC012  (Read 17622 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Pre recommendations for Oktava MC012
« on: November 25, 2003, 07:36:44 PM »
well folks,
assuming the m1 i purchased this week is in good working order, i am going to gracefully exit the 24-bit realm for a while and downgrade to DAT.  this will be my first true DAT experience also, aside from a couple runs with the D3 as a patcher before i discovered it's problems.

anyhoo,
i need to pick up a pre and maybe a/d to use.  my usbpre does not function standalone.  i do like the sound i'm getting from it but i honestly haven't tried anything else.
i've thought about the ua-5 but am a little put off by the build quality.
i liked some tapes i heard with the ad-20 with oktavas, and it's cheap, small, and built like a tank, plus has built in a/d.
what i want is a smallish box that i can run in a bag.  i'm sick of having my case all open and shit so my laptop doesn't overheat.  i'd like to have a small footprint but honestly anything is better than a 12"x20" case on the floor.
any ideas and comments are welcome.  i may end up changing mics eventually also but for now i'm keeping my oktavas, they're different and i've enjoyed the results i've gotten with them.

by the way i moved this outta the mic thread cuz it should be in here ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
Re:Pre recommendations for Oktava MC012
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 03:07:20 AM »
I've liked the results with my p-mod UA-5, although the w-mod might fill out the low end a little.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 09:10:06 AM »
If you liked the usbpre then I think the MP-2 would be a good fit for you.  It's small and I'm very pleased with the results.  I think you'd find the sound more enjoyable going MP-2 > M1 using the M1's stock a/d as compared to ad/20 >  M1 as the pre in the MP-2 is MUCH better than in the ad-20.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 11:28:27 AM »
FWIW, I found the MC012 > MP-2 low end a bit bloated for my tastes.  To my ears, the MC012s are very loose in the low end as it is, and I feel the MP-2 just accentuates this characteristic.  'Course, those are just my ears...give it a whirl, you might like it!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 12:10:56 PM »
maybe a dmic-20 or (something)>adc-20 to brighten things up?  i do agree with the loose low end theory.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 02:17:49 PM »
Right now there is a D-mic 20 on the oade board that has been up there for a while so you might be able to get him down on the price.  He wants 450 I think, that is a good price.  The unit has been moded so that you can run mid side and has better capacitors.  I really liked my d-mic back in the day, I used to run it with my schoeps while I was waiting on my apogee.  I think that a moded one would smoke.  As for the jumpers I never had a problem with brickwalling, they have a ton more head room then the lights indicate!
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 02:27:09 PM »
...i've thought about the ua-5 but am a little put off by the build quality....
i liked some tapes i heard with the ad-20 with oktavas, and it's cheap, small, and built like a tank, plus has built in a/d.
what i want is a smallish box that i can run in a bag.  i'm sick of having my case all open and shit...

After listening to that UA-5/V3 comparison, there's really no arguing that the UA-5 is a great piece of gear.  Like everyone said there, too, there's a great upgrade path.

However, I love my AD-20, and it certainly makes a really small, neat package.  I've been recording my own performances MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3 and I'm happy with the sound.  

My pix are still up in the rig pix section showing just how small this can be.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline wsp12

• Taperssection Member
  • Dood these tapes suck!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 03:09:18 PM »
Personally i think the UA5 is just as durable as anything else out there unless you have a tenedency to trash your gear you should be fine with one of those plus their about the same price well good luck Mike
Need to get a rig and get out to more shows

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 06:27:33 PM »
bump...any other ideas?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 09:12:53 PM »
Josh-
Try to find a used V2.  It may help with the loose low end that the Oktava's commonly have and the AD converter in the M1 will work great!  There are quite a few floating around!

Otherwise the Sound Devices MixPre (or if you can find a used MP2) would be your other best bet for a small device.

There are not a lot of options for a small affordable box, but if you do your research right, I am sure you will find something that will work!  

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 12:17:01 AM »
I was going to say V2 also... they're going for what, $650 now?  I wouldn't go MP-2, it's waaay fat with the Oktavas, much more so than your USBPre tapes that I've heard.

Like the man said, you'll be fine with the A/D in the M1 for the time being.  I actually prefer the M1 A/D to some of the lower end boxes (AD-20, ADC-20, stock UA-5), but that's just me.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 02:03:00 PM »
I was going to say V2 also... they're going for what, $650 now?  I wouldn't go MP-2, it's waaay fat with the Oktavas, much more so than your USBPre tapes that I've heard.

Like the man said, you'll be fine with the A/D in the M1 for the time being.  I actually prefer the M1 A/D to some of the lower end boxes (AD-20, ADC-20, stock UA-5), but that's just me.
word...i'll have to sell some gear or my body down on colfax ave if i want to get a v2 but that could be pretty sweet....so lee you've listened to some of my tapes??  which ones and what were your impressions?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 03:06:12 PM »

word...i'll have to sell some gear or my body down on colfax ave if i want to get a v2 but that could be pretty sweet....so lee you've listened to some of my tapes??  which ones and what were your impressions?

I recall a NMAS show from out in CO this year that looked like your rig.  My thoughts: plenty clear in the highs, good soundstaging.  Not "muddy" in the low end as the Oktavas are often accused of being, but plenty of low end boom that I'd expect with MC012>MP-2, which I assume the pres are similar in the USBPre.

The low end was a little much for my system- it made the trim rattle on the maggies, and usually only FOB panic tapes do that.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 05:46:13 PM »
hmm....could be 5-31 from mishawaka, forgot the ol' windscreens for that one and there was definitely some wind rumbling on like the 3rd and 4th track but nowhere else.  i think i ran hypers PAS on that one but i don't remember exactly....might have to dig it up when i get home.  that's the only nmas show i recall right now.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 01:17:43 AM »
yeah, that was definately it.  5/31 with no windscreens ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com