Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre recommendations for Oktava MC012  (Read 17618 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Pre recommendations for Oktava MC012
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2003, 09:50:44 AM »
Doesn't it take the same connector as the v3 power connection?

Nope.  The V3 use Switchcraft S760K, the ADC-20 and MP-2 use 760K.  The specs are different.

So let it be written... +T

Already is.  In the Archival Info section!   ;D

hell yeah brian, on the fuggin ball as always....keep up the great work bro ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2003, 11:53:18 AM »
simp, you might want to check out the MV-100 . i have had pretty decent results running MC012 > MV-100 > M1 - my main complaint is that the 20dB gain is a little hot for the M! when you are up close, or at a loud show in a small bar (Drive-By Truckers for instance) - but i like it better than MC012 > PS-2 > Line Xformers > M1, and  digimod MC012 > UA-5 > M1. the guy i bought it from (oh here, can't remember who) said he liked it better with the oktavas than the MP-2 also. Can be had for $200-$250 used, runs off 9Vs, and is built like a tank.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 03:51:58 PM »
Yep. the MV100 might be worth checking into for a low cost solution.  There's info available in the Oade archives on a drop in replacement chip to replace the SSM2017 that's in the stock unit--really a very easy mod.  Will probably help make the MV100 sound much better.  As is, I think it is a little thin in the low end, which'll probably help with the mc012s.

I've been tempted to get a used one to dink around with and change out the preamp chips, but there used price hasn't seemed to fall too much even as the V2, MP2, and just about every other pre has.  I always see them for $250 used which seems a bit steep.  I sold mine years ago for $275 back when used V2s were fetching $950.  If you can pick one up for $175 or maybe 200, I'd say go for it.

Otherwise, maybe an AD20 or Dmic-20 (which also uses the SSM2017 and can be upgraded), or for some more loot, a V2.  Tapped into someone's octava>V2 at a festival in VA a few years back and it sounded pretty good.  I'd stay away from transformers with the octavas, at least line transformer adapters and the mp2, don't know about the psp2.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 04:10:48 PM »
Yep. the MV100 might be worth checking into for a low cost solution.  There's info available in the Oade archives on a drop in replacement chip to replace the SSM2017 that's in the stock unit--really a very easy mod.  Will probably help make the MV100 sound much better.  As is, I think it is a little thin in the low end, which'll probably help with the mc012s.

I've been tempted to get a used one to dink around with and change out the preamp chips, but there used price hasn't seemed to fall too much even as the V2, MP2, and just about every other pre has.  I always see them for $250 used which seems a bit steep.  I sold mine years ago for $275 back when used V2s were fetching $950.  If you can pick one up for $175 or maybe 200, I'd say go for it.

Otherwise, maybe an AD20 or Dmic-20 (which also uses the SSM2017 and can be upgraded), or for some more loot, a V2.  Tapped into someone's octava>V2 at a festival in VA a few years back and it sounded pretty good.  I'd stay away from transformers with the octavas, at least line transformer adapters and the mp2, don't know about the psp2.

-Todd

The INA217 is a direct pin for pin replacement for the SSM2017.
I'd like to hear how that sounds if anyone does it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 04:17:46 PM »
I did a little research... the AD711 would also work in most circuits as a SSM2017 replacement as well. The AD711 is a nice musical op-amp. It's a single version of the AD712 that works as a nice microphone pre-amp op-amp.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

BobW

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 08:17:22 PM »
Just heard Sam Bush from last week with the Oktavas and UA-5 (warm mod ???). Big bottom end, right down to the floor and still decent clarity up top. Pro'lly could have used some bass roll off at record, but a great recording and easily tweakable to my ears/system.  You could do much worse.

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2003, 09:02:12 AM »
If the Sam Bush is from the Madison Theater that's my Oktava>UA-5 rig.  That's a straight digi mod from Oade, no p- or w- mod.  I'm probably going to send it back soon to be modded.  I'm leaning towards the p- mod.

The sound in the venue was really boomy, and it definately comes through on the recodring.  I need to play around with SoundForge or CoolEdit and learn how to roll off some bass correctly.  I try to avoid post-production if possible, but some of those Oktava recodrings really need it.

Bob

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 02:04:33 PM »
I ran Oktava -> V3 -> DA-P1 for Enemy on Saturday. I'll make a clip tonight or tomorrow if anyone wants to hear it..
This was the first time I've heard the Oktava's so I can't really pass judgement on how they sound with other pre's but IMO the low end is a little loose...

Ran X/Y about 15 ft from RH side mains...

-Jim

BobW

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2003, 09:26:10 PM »
Bob-

Like we say here  in NYC, "You Done Good !"
The show sounds great and I've been listening to it a lot.
I would definitely vote for P-Mod, especially with the Oktavas. You're right to avoid the temptation to equalize, especially when the recording sounds that good.  

Thanks !

-BobW

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2003, 10:36:49 PM »
Todd and anyone else who's talking about changing chips -- do you have any idea what the w-mod and/or p-mod involve?
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2003, 12:09:15 AM »
Todd and anyone else who's talking about changing chips -- do you have any idea what the w-mod and/or p-mod involve?

I know this has been asked a few times 'round here but I think the concencous is that unless your quite the electronic engineer with a steady hand or have access to some sort of special tools (name elludes me now, want to say "air tools" which is wrong) it'd be really hard to do.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2003, 07:08:29 PM »

I don't think anyone knows, since I don't think Doug Oade has made this info public, and I think he sands off the part numbers on his mods, does on the SBM1 mod anyway since I just had a chance to crack Tim's open.

Doug has said in a general discussion of op amps that if you like the Apogee sound, the National Semiconductor LM6172 is a good one to use and if you like the Grace sound you might try the Analog Devices AD712.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2003, 11:45:39 PM »
rmouk, where can I find your Sam Bush recording? I have just assembled the same rig, and I would love to hear your results.

Offline stvgray

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2003, 01:57:55 AM »
rmouk, where can I find your Sam Bush recording? I have just assembled the same rig, and I would love to hear your results.

BobW

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com