Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic stand advice  (Read 6022 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mic stand advice
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
I looked back on the shipping notification and it was UPS Ground 15lbs (Stand and Pole). That would include the box and packing materials.
The pole is an Atlas MS43. I believe all of the bases are compatible with Atlas, but they are developing their own poles.
Price was pretty reasonable, IMO, for what this is. Small footprint, very stable, super quick and easy to set up/take down - just 'fold and go'. At the time I was quoted $48 for the Surefoot and $52 for the Longfoot. The stand and pole together set me back around $130

email conversation from Greg pasted here:

Hi John:

Sure! You can use a stock MS43 pole. In fact, I have a Demo unit Longfoot with an Ebony (black) MS43 pole on it sitting here. It was out on a demo run this summer at some big rock festivals.
The steel MS43 pole is substantially heavier than my Aluminum MS43-type pole, which raises the center of mass somewhat and benefits from the larger base.
I'd sell you that demo unit if you want. It does have a couple of little nicks in the pole, but it's not all scratched up, or I can assemble a new base and get a new pole in.
When I get the 4th section figured out, it will screw right onto the Atlas top section and telescope just like the Atlas Sections.
All of my tubes will mate with Atlas tubes in several configurations.
I'll send you pics later today when I have a wi-fi connection for my phone.

THE top section I ended up figuring out on my own (used a pole from an old speaker stand and fits perfectly, although it's silver and not black)  Greg got busy with the Sundance Fil Festival - their company is contracted to do something for that...
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Greg Carttar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
John, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the threading on all the bases and poles, whether 5/8", 7/8", or 1-1/8"  is standard 27 thread-per-inch, and compatible with any quality pole (stem). Chinese music store stand poles, not so much -- they are usually very thin tubing and therefore the threading is very shallow and undercut. Some Chinese poles have a big washer welded to the pole instead of using a screw-down locking ring. Those big washers interfere with the operation of the legs as they rotate into in-use or stowed position.

I'm thinking of doing a special 7-foot tall pole just for applications like you guys and your recordings, to get your mics over the heads of the crowd.

I'm new here, and I don't want to spam the group.  ::) If you want to know more you can email me at gregcarttar@3rd-st.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum Greg, and big thanks for making gear that seems well suited to our nitch recording applications.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com