Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone use DPA4060 as a boundary mic?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Anyone use DPA4060 as a boundary mic?
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:55 AM »
I see that DPA has an adapter to turn the DPA4060 into a boundary mic (the BLM6000B). Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Regards, Christine

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone use DPA4060 as a boundary mic?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:52:38 PM »
They work great, in my opinion. As long as you have a good surface on which to mount them, you'll be pleased with the results. I have had good luck using the "leading edge" of a balcony...

I think that Gutbucket sometimes dispenses with the DPA mounts altogether, so you might want to ask him about his experiences.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Anyone use DPA4060 as a boundary mic?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
Hi Christine,

The 406x is small enough to become fully boundary mounted by simply gaff taping it onto a hard surface without using the mount. 

However, the available hard rubber disk boundary mount works nicely when you need some protection for the microphone (keeps it from getting crushed), and greatly reduces fabric noise if mounted under clothing, even more so than their clear plastic 'concealers' designed for under clothing use.  It also provides a large enough surface area to tape or otherwise hold-down securely to prevent the mic from moving around.  When inserting the mics in the rubber mounts, you do need to be careful to orient the capsule correctly so the ventilated side of the inner rectangular gold capsule under the outer grid faces out.  There is a slight upper response change using the disk verses mounting the microphone directly against a boundary without the disk, but it's rather minor and many wouldn't notice it.  They are available in black or white. 

The BLM6000B is a dedicated boundary microphone with a weighted base under/around what appears to be the same disk, the weighted base has a threaded microdot connector in it, so the cable isn't integral to the microphone it is with the 406X.  Should behave identically though.

I like the boundary mounts!  Thanks for the reminder, I lost one and need to get another.

I posted a bunch of photos of the disks, including mic insertion into them at the link below-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70134.msg939783#msg939783

Hope that helps.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com