Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recovering files from sd card  (Read 7175 times)

Offline skokiebob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recovering files from sd card
« on: May 02, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Hello all, recorded a show last night with my R09, transcend 4gb card, and got an error saying sd card error. it went away, I thought I dodged a bullet. and I did get the second half of the show. The first set's file however is a .wcv extension, unrecognized, won't transfer, open, can't touch it. Any suggestions or am I screwed  :'( Thanks as always.

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
Re: recovering files from sd card
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »
Whatever you do... Don't do anything drastic or write to the card.

Have you tried copying it off using a card reader?

damn good advice... try to get a copy on your hard drive if possible... if you're really lucky, the R09 only hosed the file name when it wrote .wcv instead of .wav... then maybe just changing the filename extension on the copy will do the trick...

but if it also hosed more data down in the guts of the filesystem (for instance the FAT tables), then you've got your work cut out... http://www.pjrc.com/tech/8051/ide/fat32.html
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline skokiebob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:38:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses Lunch, & Iron, I tried the card reader, another PC, the R09 itself, nothing will recognize the file. I can open the card to view the files on it, and there is the successfully transferred wav, and the .wcv file in that damn icon that you know you won't be able to open. It also is hidden. Tried changing file name, and extension, won't let me. Pig I went to the FAT link you provided, and honestly, it looks a bit over my head, at least without really doing some reading and I don't have time now. It looks like a deep technical pit that I could spend hours fiddling around and still come up empty, (and frustrated) Is there any way to "check" a flash card to see if it's been damaged? I'd hate to have a repeat, I've got 5 shows this month! Is there a more reliable card? I upgraded my R09 to the most current version to see if that helps. Great Fun! Thanks again guys.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »
There are file recovery programs that should help but it will take some digging to find a free version...  I'd wager you can get the data back.  I used a free one called pci_filerecovery.exe and that recovered some files for me in a 'forced format' situation.. I'm not certain if this is the version I used or if it has virus issues, etc:

http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm

There are two likely steps here..  Getting the files off the card and then processing them.  I suspect you will need to do some wave header repair after you recover the file off the card. So don't think it has failed just because you can't open a recovered version.

Offline skokiebob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
Lunch, the link you provided looks very promising! I just hope something can access the file from the card 'cause I can't get it to my HD.  I ordered a new card so I can tinker with this one a while. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 10:45:07 PM »

When you get that far, there's many ways to repair a wave header (if needed), but here's a utility i cobbled together...http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72936.0.html
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Uddhava

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
The edirol of course has a file fix utility (firmware 1.20).
so you might try that.

I have similar file corruption with a Transcend 8 GB SHDC class 2 card.
Cannot transfer the files and the edirol cannot play them (anymore).
It could be the card but i suspect the firmware.
(a 2GB SB card, sandisk works nicely at least)

Offline skokiebob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »
The edirol of course has a file fix utility (firmware 1.20).
so you might try that.

I have similar file corruption with a Transcend 8 GB SHDC class 2 card.
Cannot transfer the files and the edirol cannot play them (anymore).
It could be the card but i suspect the firmware.
(a 2GB SB card, sandisk works nicely at least)

I looked for the file fix utility after updating my r09 and couldn't find it. Where is it?

Offline skokiebob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 09:38:52 AM »
There are file recovery programs that should help but it will take some digging to find a free version...  I'd wager you can get the data back.  I used a free one called pci_filerecovery.exe and that recovered some files for me in a 'forced format' situation.. I'm not certain if this is the version I used or if it has virus issues, etc:

http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm

There are two likely steps here..  Getting the files off the card and then processing them.  I suspect you will need to do some wave header repair after you recover the file off the card. So don't think it has failed just because you can't open a recovered version.

Lunch, Rock On! Used PC Inspector "Smart Recovery" at the link you provided and presto, got my show! No further repairs needed, what a sweet thing it is to have not only computer savvy folks around to write programs, but also people to point me in the right direction. If I had a tix to give it'd be yours, but big thanks is it. Thanks to everybody else who chimed in as well, initially I was ready to format the thing and move on, but then remembered the depth of experience and knowledge on this board, amazing!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Update... Tried to use this tool to recovery a microtrack CF card. It recovered the files but they were garbage..

I tried another tool I've had luck with in the past, photorec.  It uses a different method and it recovered the files just fine.  So definitely give photorec a try if you're recoverin'..  it is shareware, runs under linux and windows and the source is available.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/photorec.html

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com