Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's a good set-up for bar gigs?  (Read 4755 times)

Offline greggorypeccary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What's a good set-up for bar gigs?
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Hey tapers, I'm new here but I've been enjoying your work for over 20 years now - thanks!

I'm looking for a set up to record practices and bar gigs for the band I play with.  I'm looking at the Tascam DR-07, or Edirol r-09 and starting out with the built-in mics, at least to set in the room for practice, but I know I'll want better quality mics to record gigs. 

What do the pros here recommend?  I'd like to keep it under $500, and small, something we can just set up in the corner of the bar with a friend and let run for the night.  I just want to get decent sounding recording so we have something to put on our website, listen to for evaluation, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions, and keep up the good work! 

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's a good set-up for bar gigs?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
AT 853s

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:29:02 AM »
I'm looking at the Tascam DR-07, or Edirol r-09 and starting out with the built-in mics, at least to set in the room for practice, but I know I'll want better quality mics to record gigs. 

You'd be running mic-in directly without preamp? Church Cards +  mic stand/clamps.
Line in with outboard pre? Church combo (Cards +  ST-9100) + mic stand/clamps.
Still way below $500, and good enough for your needs.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »
Hey tapers, I'm new here but I've been enjoying your work for over 20 years now - thanks!

I'm looking for a set up to record practices and bar gigs for the band I play with.  I'm looking at the Tascam DR-07, or Edirol r-09 and starting out with the built-in mics, at least to set in the room for practice, but I know I'll want better quality mics to record gigs. 

What do the pros here recommend?  I'd like to keep it under $500, and small, something we can just set up in the corner of the bar with a friend and let run for the night.  I just want to get decent sounding recording so we have something to put on our website, listen to for evaluation, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions, and keep up the good work! 

I would start with the R-09HR and a battery box and a pair of mics. That should be well under $500.00
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Church Audio Cards, the 14s or 11s would also make a fine choice. Do some listening because you really can't say 853s are better or worse then CA mics its all taste.

Offline greggorypeccary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  So I assume, generally, that cards would be better than omnis for this sort of thing?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
Cards in small bars, to try and cut down on the chatter.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Yes, cards.  I'm partial to AT853's but I've used Church audio CA11's and CA14's and they are a very good value.

Gear is important, but how you use it is more important.  When I hear "set up at a corner of the bar with a friend" I think "you are going to get a lot of drunken chatter".  I record in a lot of chatty bars.

My suggestion on improving your signal to noise ratio is to get closer to the music source.  Since you are in the band, you can do what you want, when most of us can't.  The average bar band has drums in the back, centered, a vocalist with a mic stand front and center, and guitar and bass off to the side.  If that roughly describes you, your best bet might be to clamp a small set of mics on that vocalist's mic stand, about waist high.  You might get a bit too much drums, but you won't get as chatter.  The reason I mention this because now you will want to think about size of mics, and how you will mount them.  I've done this a few times and it works pretty well.

A lot of musicians seem to like the Zoom H2.  I haven't used one, but other people seem to like them.  It's about the same size as the R09, but the mics built in are directional instead of omnis, so you can set it down with the mics pointing at the band and you will pick up more of what you want, and less of what you don't want.  I think most almost everyone will say that the R09 has better electronics than the H2, and that's probably true, but it's also costs twice as much.  The mics help determine the overall sound more than the recorder. If you have a budget of $500... don't spend $400 on the recorder and $100 on mics... spend $250 on mics, $50 on a battery box, and $200 on recorder.

I expect this is a really great set of mics for the money.  The form factor might be kind of odd, but you can probably figure that out.  Put AA betteries in them, get a Y cable to run into your recorder, and you should be all set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-AT855-Condensor-Microphones-Matched-Pair_W0QQitemZ320350370280QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320350370280&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A7%7C294%3A50

Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:34:49 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline greggorypeccary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »
Thanks for the response joe!  How we set up really depends on the bar, and that will govern where I put the recorder too.  I know sometimes I'll get good results and other times, not so much.  I've looked at the H2 and it just feels way too cheep to me.  I've also read about some issues with plugging external mics in.  I'm going to go out and put my hands on all the different options and see what I like best. 

As for mics, I definitely agree that that is where the bulk of the budget should go.  I do some home recording so I've tried some different mics in different placements and am always amazed as to how easily the recorded sound can be changed. 

Offline atleast6characters

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Brew Dot Biz
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
AT 853s

& SER crowd control, stand guards. Hire elwood.
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.”

AT853's > ua-5 Busmod > Optical > iRiver iHP-120
Webcast'd 853's > m-audio FT Pro > HP > Adobe Flash Media LIVE

LMA Shows http://tiny.cc/al6cBREW

i have a real nice multi-speed vibe that i'm going to use as rhythm tracks in a song i'm writing.

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Brew Dot Biz
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.”

i have a real nice multi-speed vibe that i'm going to use as rhythm tracks in a song i'm writing.

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
AT 853s

& SER crowd control, stand guards. Hire elwood.
Would Dave reimburse me personally?

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Brew Dot Biz
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
^ no. He'll de-imburse

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
How about an AT822 or 825?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/wired_mics/mics_by_type.pl?product_type=Microphones%3A+Stereo

These run off battery power so it seems like you would just need a recorder and the appropriate cable adapters. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't run one of these hands-on.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
How about an AT822 or 825?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/wired_mics/mics_by_type.pl?product_type=Microphones%3A+Stereo

These run off battery power so it seems like you would just need a recorder and the appropriate cable adapters. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't run one of these hands-on.

While I did hear a pretty decent sounding ween recording on LMA using an AT822, I don't think it would be the best. If you can get one for a good price, go for it but new they are ~$250 whereas you could go with the other options listed above for that much.

The mic is more for stereo ENG applications and it works well at that. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
you could always just patch out of the soundboard. if you are looking for aud recording, i suggest that you go with the church audio setup
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:28:42 PM by deadheadcorey »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline greggorypeccary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
you could always just patch out of the soundboard. if you are like for aud recording, i suggest that you go with the church audio setup

I wish!  We play places where we "garageband" it.  The only thing in the PA is vocals and maybe a bit of kick drum.

I was looking at recorders at Sam Ash today and the dude there told me they were having a 20% off sale this Saturday.  I'll probably be getting the recorder there and take a little time to further research the mics.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:33:59 PM by greggorypeccary »

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 08:29:54 PM »
you could always just patch out of the soundboard. if you are like for aud recording, i suggest that you go with the church audio setup

I wish!  We play places where we "garageband" it.  The only thing in the PA is vocals and maybe a bit of kick drum.

I was looking at recorders at Sam Ash today and the dude there told me they were having a 20% off sale this Saturday.  I'll probably be getting the recorder there and take a little time to further research the mics.

if you are looking for some decent mics with a cheap price tag, check out the avantones ck-1s.

Edirol r-09 is good one, Micortrack 1 or 2 is good, i love the iriver series
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:33:03 PM by deadheadcorey »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

Edirol r-09 is good one, Micortrack 1 or 2 is good, i love the iriver series

I gotta say that I am not that happy with my microtrack1, the thing is a POS that works most of the time but is flaky. Feels like a toy.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com