Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 question related to co3  (Read 3019 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
jb3 question related to co3
« on: February 11, 2004, 11:04:16 AM »
do any folks use the Midiman CO3 out of the mini-me (aes) to the jb3?  it seems like a logical step, when using the mini-me alongside a regular coax dat deck.  just curious to see if this device has been proven (accuracy and stability).

thanks!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re:jb3 question related to co3
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 11:37:57 AM »
This CO2 has proven to be very unreliable in all tests.  While it is a handy device, and a great idea, it fails miserably in its job...

I know, I have a NJB3 also and tried to use the CO2...  I now have a Hosa ODL-276, though I have yet to test it.

As for the CO3, I have no idea...

Terry

« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 11:38:38 AM by twatts »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 11:45:21 AM »
twatts - thanks for the reply.  i didn't even think about this option, until i visited the amdig/site and it hit me across the head.  i'll look into the issues with the co3, since there maybe problems.  

+T for participation

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 11:58:09 AM »
The ODL-276 is a coax S/PDIF <---> optical converter.  I do not believe it includes a coax S/PDIF passthrough.

FWIW, I've tested the Hosa ODL-312 (AES/EBU <---> S/PDIF optical converter) V3 > ODL-312 > JB3 and it's been flawless.  Again, no passthrough.  I run the ODL-312/JB3 combo off one of my AES/EBU outputs and my DAT or patchers off my coax S/SPDIF output.

Search for keywords "ODL-312" and "bit accuracy" in the Recording Gear forum and you'll find a fairly lengthy thread.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 12:05:23 PM »
thanks for that idea brian.  another question that brings me to, power for the ODL312.  did you have to use a DIY battery box or cable?  just curious.  thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 01:29:06 PM »
thanks for that idea brian.  another question that brings me to, power for the ODL312.  did you have to use a DIY battery box or cable?  just curious.  thanks!

Here's the post I mentioned previously with a bunch of info, including DIY battery setup.
Roland R-05

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 02:15:24 PM »
thanks brian, lots of work for this test, +T for your efforts.

i think that i am sold, pending a battery purchase.  thanks!

Offline joemango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 02:53:05 PM »
not to hijack the thread, but....

What specifically are the problems that ppl have been having with the CO2?

I have had multiple probs with power being flaky.  The wall-wart jack has been very unreliable, so I decided to open the fucker up and solder some leads directly to the board with an RC polarized connector (ala the 9.6v packs) and haven't had a problem since.

Is the bit accuracy problem related to power?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 02:55:44 PM »
take it joe, i have heard that there are bit perfection issues...

see brians comments.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 03:13:25 PM »
not to hijack the thread, but....

What specifically are the problems that ppl have been having with the CO2?

Is the bit accuracy problem related to power?

The issues I've heard from others mostly include dropped/misplaced samples, but I don't know if it's related to power issues.  The only person I know who's done reasonably formal testing of the CO2 is Jamie Lutch (though there may be others of which I'm unaware).  Check out the NJB3Tapers Yahoo group and in the Files section you'll find a spreadsheet Jamie put together with his testing results.  Some of his tests include the CO2.
Roland R-05

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 04:40:35 PM »

I've got 30+ shows on the C02, with NO ISSUES (aside from batteries going dead).  Checked a few against a D-10 running as backup, and they're bit perfect.

The C02 DOES NOT RUN out of certain equipment, but the problems are real obvious (dropouts, pop's, etc.).  Most notable - runs fine out of my D-10, not worth a damn out of my 3700.  Same (bad) results of out a DA-P1.  I run out of a LunaTech V3, and I'm to the point where I'm going to get a small Pelican case for just the TLM-170's and start bagging it with 1 EC-90, the V3, and the Nomad.  Grace should have an Optical Out upgrade in a few weeks, for people running or considering a JB3 setup, that will sweeten the deal a bit...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 04:51:22 PM »
my issues with the CO2 (running MD backup from my DAT) were all related to the flaky power plug. dropped samples in the CO2 would cause my MD to start a new track, sometimes resulting in shows with 100+ tracks, so it was easy to tell if it had dropped out or not. one time i did some unscientific testing (watching the CO2 and MD like a hawk) and whenever the power light flickered, the MD would add a track, and whenever it didn't, it wouldn't.
Is it possible my MD was getting dropped samples and not starting new tracks? yes it's possible.. but my feeling is that the bulk of the CO2's problems are power-related..

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 04:06:41 PM »
My test and my results:

DVD player playing the Pavement Slow Century DVD>coax out>CO2 (wallwart power)>optical>Nomad 3.

I was trying to take some of my DVD videos and make CDR for the car out of them...

I started the junk, cooked and ate, and upon the end, pushed stop on everything.  It should have been perfect, no movement, etc...

Anyways, I got several (over 6) skips and one drop out of about 2 seconds.  NONE OF THESE EXIST ON THE DVD.  So they were introduced by the CO2.

And before you start on the Nomad 3 being the problem, not the CO2, I'll say I recorded the same DVD thru optical straight into the Nomad 3 and had no problems whatsoever.

I gave the CO2 away to someone in FLA...  I bought an ODL 276 since, but have yet to test it...  It sits collecting dust between my 2 DVD players and the VHS...

I really wish the CO2 was perfect...  It is a handy unit...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 04:38:03 PM »
well, I must say that since I replaced my power input it's been solid.  So if you're ambitious and even marginally good with a soldering iron, I would suggest trying the 9.6v rc lead on a CO2, before you go selling it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com