Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mountainsmith Day vs. Cairn packs?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Mountainsmith Day vs. Cairn packs?
« on: February 11, 2004, 07:25:39 PM »
OK, I saw Mark's Mountainsmith Day pack yesterday and it looks perfect for what I want to do.  On the other hand, I remember that Tim has a Cairn and he likes it a lot as well.  I am looking at the two bags over the Internet and they are the same size with some different features that I cannot for the life of me decipher.

What is the main difference between the two?  I saw that the Cairn has some five-way carrying system.  Does the Day have this as well?  Can you carry the Day as a backpack, lumbar pack, and an over the shoulder setup?  Is one taller vs. deeper?  Experiences?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I am a real American
Re:Mountainsmith Day vs. Cairn packs?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 09:57:55 PM »
i can tell you i have a mountainsmith bag (bought from daryan) and i love it.  Works perfect for the DMIC and all my cables and vert bar.  Its too big but it is deep.

KC5

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:48:45 PM »
i've got a question about the mountainsmith lumbar bags.  i'm looking at the tour model.  just curious how well padded is the bottom of these bags?  where is the best place online to purchase any of the mountainsmith bags?  thanx,

bill

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »
Jamie I really like my cairn but I have no experience with the Day so I can't really compare.

Just to give you an idea on the size, I used to run my MiniMe upright in the cairn and could still zip up the bag.

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline jlykos

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 05:59:16 PM »
I decided to take matters into my own hands today and went all around town to find these different Mountainsmith bags instead of packing my apartment like I should have done.  My comments on these bags all relate to taping purposes, not hiking or whatever they are intended to do.  I ended up purchasing the Day.

The main difference between the Cairn and the Day is that the Cairn is shorter and deeper while the Day is taller.  The Cairn has a padded back and a medium-sized padded front pocket which would be perfect for a D8.  The Cairn also has a bit of a smaller main compartment and a larger front pocket.  It has a limited range of how wide you can get the main compartment to open with the zipper; that is a minus in my book.  It is rated at 1100 cubic inches.  I really liked the extra padding on the Cairn, but it was too small for my very large, old-school Mac G3 WallStreet laptop.  If I was only using it for taping purposes, I would probably have gone with it because of the extra padding.

The Day has a padded back part, but no padding on the front.  It has internal dimensions of 12"x12", but my computer which is 13" across fits in there very nicely without the bag bulging or anything.  You can get the main compartment to open all the way with the zipper; another factor that swayed me in its favor.  The Day is rated at 1150 cubic inches, about the same size as the Cairn.  I have not used it in the field yet, but I can fit my MiniMe, tupperware container for the Gefells, 15' mic cables, 6 volt EcoCharge, AT shockmounts, SignalFlex clamp, and Shure vertical bar in the main compartment, my EcoCharge and 7-pin cables in the inside smaller compartment, and my windscreens (without boxes, in a Ziploc bag) in the outside compartment.

Both the Day and the Cairn have a bunch of accessories one can purchase, including a padded pouch that I will probably buy for my D8.  One thing that pisses me off is that shoulder straps to wear any of the Mountainsmith lumbar bags as a backpack costs an extra $25, which should be included for no extra charge IMO.  I will probably pick up a pair for Georgia anyway.

The Tour is smaller than both the Day and Cairn.  It is rated at 650 cubic inches and is basically a big fanny pack.  The gear I listed above would not have fit in the Tour, but I have a feeling it would be perfect for a stealth or FOB Neumann / DPA / Schoeps rig.  It may be able to fit a MiniMe and some stealth mics in there, though.  Although the Tour and the Day are part of the same family of Mountainsmith packs, I felt that the Tour had more in common with the Cairn, with the exception of the added padding on the Cairn's front.

I don' think that any of these bags is padded on the bottom, but they do have thick nylon all around.  If you are concerned about padding on the bottom, you may want to see if you can put some foam down there (available at Michael's craft stores).  None of these bags are waterproof, but they are water resistant.  I would most definitely line it with a trash bag or thick plastic before setting it down on the floor of a taper section.  Great Outdoor also had these cool large waterproof map protectors ($20) that I will probably pick up to provide some extra waterproofing.

I first went to REI and they had the Tour for $75 and the Cairn for $90.  REI also makes a lumbar pack of their own that is 850 cubic inches for $50; it is a more affordable option than the Tour, but does not have the Cairn's padding.  I went across town to Great Outdoor Provision Company and bought the Day for $80.  These are probably not the best prices available, but they were in stock.  All the bags come in red or black / charcoal; the Tour also comes in blue.

Much thanks to Mark and Tim for planting this idea in my head in the first place.  I am never going back to that damn ball and chain Rakgear; the Day is 1/3 the size and I have a feeling it will be much more manageable.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 06:02:58 PM »
enjoy Jamie, they are very well built bags!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 06:17:47 PM »
I use the day for a Schoeps>V3>D8 rig with plenty of room to spare.  As for additional padding, I fold a cotton towel and put it in the bottom.  Aslo, REI sells a waterproofing spray that I used on my bag.  This seemed to work OK even in the torrential downpour of Panic in Telluride.

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline jlykos

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 06:22:43 PM »
Aslo, REI sells a waterproofing spray that I used on my bag.  This seemed to work OK even in the torrential downpour of Panic in Telluride.

Awesome!  Do you remember what it was called?  Is it the same stuff that one would spray on their boots?

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 06:42:26 PM »
What is the main difference between the two?

The Day looks way cooler than the Cairn.  8)

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 06:59:33 PM »
Same crap you use to waterproof backpacks.

Eric
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

KC5

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 07:22:46 PM »
well,
after reading and looking at pics of brian skalinder's bag i decided to purchase the blaze model.  dimensions are 11x12x5.  cost was $79.00 shipped from ebags.com.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 08:32:01 PM »
I carried the Day through Greece for a month and it's got to be the most comfortable lumbar pack I've ever put on, even fully loaded.

So, I decided to use it for a taping bag- the front pocket is absolutely perfect for a V3 and you can fit a D8, SBM, and JB3 on top of the v3 with a little room to spare.  With everything loaded in the front pocket, you can easily fit a 6v/12aH SLA, 15' cables, a pelican 1050 mic case, ziploc bag full of adaptors/cables, and a box of DATs in the main compartment.  The littlle zipper pouch inside the big pocket held my vert bar, K&M clamp, and shure shocks with ease, leaving the water bottle pouches free to hold pens, cards, etc.  With no extra waterproofing, it held up just fine in the rain for about 45 minutes before the show.  It does double duty as my school bag when I'm not taping, too...

Just a thought, some of you minime guys should check out some of the smaller camelbak bags; the bladder compartment is damn near perfect for fitting that weird apogee shape with the only the knobs sticking out.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 09:24:28 PM »
So, I decided to use it [Day] for a taping bag

Hey Lee - do you have any pics of the Day pack with gear all set up in it?  I searched but didn't find one in the Rig Pics section.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 09:28:54 PM »
Just a thought, some of you minime guys should check out some of the smaller camelbak bags; the bladder compartment is damn near perfect for fitting that weird apogee shape with the only the knobs sticking out.

I've often thought of trying that...

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 12:31:18 AM »
jamie, way to go, you will love it. and when you aren't taping, and you deicd to get the shoulder straps, it is GREAT for day hikes. the hip belt is siper comfy, and with the outer bungee cord, you can toss wet trunks or towel and secure it

woo hoo!

+T
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 03:24:28 AM »
So, I decided to use it [Day] for a taping bag

Hey Lee - do you have any pics of the Day pack with gear all set up in it?  I searched but didn't find one in the Rig Pics section.

I don't... I only ran it one night with borrowed gear and didn't have my camera with me.  I can snap some shots with my current rig in it, but that probably wouldn't be much help to you v3 users.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com