Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is an RCA > mini-y all I need for sbd patching?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline phishmarisol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
Is an RCA > mini-y all I need for sbd patching?
« on: February 09, 2004, 11:03:12 PM »
Using a jb3.  Just straight into the board to start off with..no a/d or anything.  So is that all I need or could I possibly need other cables?

cleantone

Re:Is an RCA > mini-y all I need for sbd patching?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »
RCA is a pretty common output from the board. If you want to be safe also make 1/4" and XLR to your mini.

RCA is usually a "tape output" which IMO is the least desireable way to go, but sometimes it's the only option. This would normally have a trim to it as well so you need the level up a bit to get signal.

If you have full access try to use a "group output" or "matrix output" with the main output routed to it. This would be a 1/4" or somtimes XLR. Again it would have a trim, in this case actualy faders. Be sure to pan them out too.

Some boards have a "studio output" which is typically a balenced connection TRS usually, this would be good too.

The BEST you can get is a second main output, some higher end consoles have a second XLR main output. This would have your BEST signal to snatch.

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »
So, would you run through a preamp then? Is that always preferable?

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 12:29:39 PM »
for best results, run the SBD output through a A/D convertor, no need for a preamp

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:58:08 PM »
important to get stereo 1/8" > dual mono 1/4"
not stereo 1/4"
you can just get 2 of the the mono female RCA >  mono male 1/4" adapters and use your 1/8" > RCA cable.

most boards have 1/4" outputs.

if you want to stay out of the way of the engineer, tape out is usually the best way to go because it doesn't require they mix anything special for ya.

Offline CQ_DX

• Taperssection Regular
  • Totally confused, as usual
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 03:19:05 PM »
>>>if you want to stay out of the way of the engineer, tape out is usually the best way to go because it doesn't require they mix anything special for ya.<<

True - but it doesn't hurt to ask, but only if the guy seems friendly or receptive.  You can get a tape mix out through an empty AUX output if he's willing to do it, and is available (meaning they aren't all used for monitor mixes or something).   Some soundguys (like small clubs) do it just for the hell of it or pride.   In that case you'll need 1/4" outputs.  A mix for tape via headphones is always going to be better than just whatever is run through the board through the tape out jacks.

Offline Genesis

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 03:45:21 PM »
hes patching for his friends band so he wont be
in the way of the soundguy, all he needs is
something simple

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.126 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com