Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cleaning of connectors...deoxit?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
cleaning of connectors...deoxit?
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
ok geeky taper friends..

do you clean your mic cables, home stereo cables, all connectors, etc?  ive been doing a little reading up on it and was wondering what folks do around here.  ive used deoxit before on a guitar amp and read that product will clean all audio connectors quite well.  i have used some of that tv tuner cleaning stuff on other electronics, but found that one w. the oil in it leaves a mess even after small applications.   

thanks
chris

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: cleaning of connectors...deoxit?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
I never even thought of cleaning XLR cable connections, but this is what I do with troublesome 1/8 plugs and jacks (quoted from guysonic's website):

Clean & recondition noisy mic. jacks with 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.  Repeatedly insert a headphone type plug soaked to the point of dripping (filling the alcohol bottle cap and dipping only the metal part of the mini-plug works well) into the mic. jack until any connection noise disappears.  Monitor the progress with a set of headphones while the deck is in a record function.  Rotating the microphones plug should not produce audible noise with cleaned and conditioned contacts.   Applying a contact conditioner to already cleaned plug and jack metal parts (Stereo retailer & Sonic Studios available Pro-Gold by Caig Labs works great) once to several times a year will help protect contacts from corrosion/wear and from producing noise for much longer between cleanings.     

CAUTION ADVISED: AVOID PLACING CONTACT CLEANER ON ANYTHING BUT THE METAL CONNECTOR PARTS; Plastics can be softened,  discolored, and even dissolved!  This may actually coat the very metal contacts intended for cleaning!   Fortunately,  deck input jacks are reasonably resistant to alcohol and most ‘plastic safe’ cleaners when used occasionally and with care.

WARNING: Never spray anything into the jacks on a deck.   Most Mini-DECK jacks are not the enclosed type anymore, but are open, allowing sprays to go where they can cause mechanical problems with the tape transport mechanisms and coat the tape heads.  Use the method described above with the mini-plug OR purchase a special insertable cleaning brush from CAIG or Sonic Studios (a round shaver cleaning brush may also be used with careful attention to the delicate nature of these mini-jacks).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
I use Caig's DeoxIT line of products.  Good stuff :)

http://store.caig.com/
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
Deoxit GOLD is the only way to go.. If you want your contacts cleaned properly.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »

Chris

Another vote here for DeOxiit Gold.
I just got done treating all my cables and connectors. I clean them once or twice a year.

I've also started to use it on audio path wire/ connector joints when I solder.

I bought 1 can a bunch of years ago. I spayed about half of that cans worth into a well sealed glass jar.
Now, I have some left over in the can to spray onto things, when needed, and I also have some that I can apply with Q-Tips or pipe cleaners from the liquid in the jar.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »

Chris

Another vote here for DeOxiit Gold.
I just got done treating all my cables and connectors. I clean them once or twice a year.

I've also started to use it on audio path wire/ connector joints when I solder.

I bought 1 can a bunch of years ago. I spayed about half of that cans worth into a well sealed glass jar.
Now, I have some left over in the can to spray onto things, when needed, and I also have some that I can apply with Q-Tips or pipe cleaners from the liquid in the jar.

You are not using this on a joint that you are about to solder are you?

Offline Chuck

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
I use it after, to clean the flux on the connection.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »

No!!!! :)   use 100% alcohol + tooth brush works very well. And its way cheaper...

Offline Chuck

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »

No!!!! :)   use 100% alcohol + tooth brush works very well. And its way cheaper...

Yeah, in the past I always used denatured alcohol, and I still use alcohol and a stiff toothbrush on circuit boards. I use the ProGold very sparingly. Usually applied with Q-tips. I bought one can a bunch of years ago and have not used it all up yet! I also have a can of the original DeOxit, that I rarely use, because I treat the cables I use once or twice per year. If I was doing a lot of wiring, like you probably do, it would not be economical to use the expensive stuff. But for what I do it works fine.

I don't believe the claims of it working miracles and increasing clarity and all that crap. It's a good product to use to keep your connections free of crud though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com