Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD Noob needs some basic information  (Read 6768 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SBD Noob needs some basic information
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »
I have a sbd of a band I was doing sound for and the mix is perfect.. Not all sound guys are shit :) Generally speaking the lower the stage volume is or the bigger the venue is the better the SBD mix will be small clubs where the mixer is less than 50 feet from the stage will not generally result in a good tape. Why because way to much of the bands stage volume is in the room and not much of it is being put through the PA. Also small PA = Crap SBD if its speakers on a stick just say no to SBD. If its a nice looking room with a good PA and the mixer is more than 50 feet from the stage go for it. But than you are subject to the quality of the mix it self.
I never said all sound guys are shit, Chris. :) 

Sometimes the best sound guy in the world can't help a room based on board location or size.  Without getting into specifics, a board tape that I have from The Mod Club sounds great  ... another one (different sound guy) at The Sound Academy is great as well.  Meanwhile, a board from a place like the Horseshoe is pointless as the boards around 45-50 feet from the stage. My audience recording (with your CA-14's and pre-amp smoked the board recording).   I also have another recording from a venue comparable in size to the 'shoe but it was pretty craptastic too based on both the sound guy and the venue itself. :)

The very reason why I started making microphones was to record the shows I mixed. Because nobody wanted a board recording. And thats how I got into making mics. I had been repairing mics and consoles for over 23 years. I know you never said that but many tapers blame the sound guy for bad board mixes when in fact its not the sound guy.. Its the size of the venue. If its a small venue its pretty much a waste of time to do a board mix unless its a very quiet band on stage with a very good PA system. Many large venue situations dont allow board tapes because they know they quality can be very good. And they dont want people selling the end result. I once had a Road manager ask me what button kills the feed to the TV crew that was recording a concert I was mixing for the local news so he could "kill it" after 30 seconds lol kinda crazy but thats they way it goes. Even though the band would have got more than 30 seconds of air time that was all they were willing to have recorded.. I Guess they never noticed the MD recorder I had in my rack that was recording all of the shows :) I even mixed in Audience mics ( told the road manager they were for my audio analyzer hehehe.....
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: SBD Noob needs some basic information
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 08:26:35 AM »
:) I even mixed in Audience mics ( told the road manager they were for my audio analyzer hehehe.....

niiiiiice
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com