Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need to Record College Lectures  (Read 4819 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need to Record College Lectures
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
If I wanted to save the money wouldn't I go with the $190 deal as opposed to the $325 deal?

Or are you saying I would get that much more value out of the R-09?

Ok let's look at this a little different.

If you just want to record class lectures go buy the $40 dollar recorder from Office Depot/Staples/College book store.  Anything else is way overkill.  You'd be wasting your money on the two units you linked to above.

If you want to start recording shows try and pick up an R09.  Good recorder.  Good price usually

If you want one recorder for both uses then go with the R09 

If I could offer a suggestion I would tell you to separate the two recording situations.  Buy a cheap digital recorder like the $40 one for your classes.  In the meantime save your pennies and do a little more research into concert taping gear that suits you best.   I think that you're trying a little too hard here to combine the two situations.  By waiting a little bit you get to save a few more bucks as well as follow the trends of the Yard Sale here.  Typically the prices of the R09's are only going to go down in the future.

Offline Carrera2

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »
Not to muddy up the works, but I am using my R-09 to record two different Recording Arts classes that I am taking at night.

Tonight I am going to try a simple alternative, a high sensitivity Giant Squid Audio mono mic into an iRiver iFP-899, and run these parallel.  the iRiver makes mp3 files up to about 160Kbps. I am planning to ask a classmate to use the iRiver to record a lecture I will miss (while I am out recording Los Lonely Boys at the Fillmore.)

The iRiver iFP-899 can be had rather inexpensively on the used market, and for this purpose, might be quite acceptable, and eliminate tape use.

There is one trick to transferring the files off the iRiver, so if you happen to go this route, get in touch.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:34:25 PM by Carrera2 »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
Hmmmm.....Okay.

I hadn't really expected to spend that much on just a box....

.....this thing has decent mics? I mean 15 - 20' MAX and probably more like 10' to 15'....

I was just looking on FleaBay and I saw this...  http://www.tiny.cc/ChurchAudio  .....

Would something like that make a big difference....or would it just be overkill for my purposes...?

its overkill for what you want to do I would stick with the built in mics in the edirol..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:15 PM »
Alright, I have purchased an new R-09, black in color, from e-bay for $320 shipped.

I have now, as of this morning, recorded my first lecture.

I recorded on 16bit and the higher of the two sampling rates possible....I think 44.0 or something.

It sounded good...I judged by what I saw on the meters and ended up running at about 25 on the input controls. This seemed high to me, but it sounded good. All other controls were default from factory (the switches on the back)

I want to now, post these on the internet somehow.....

I looked briefly and saw that there could be difficulties in posting .WAV's and that maybe I would be better off using the Mp3 options on the R-09....thoughts?

Also does anyone know where I could post these things?
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline jbraveman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 03:41:01 PM »
The easiest thing to do would be to convert the wav files to mp3 and send them to your friends with something like yousendit.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com