Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you carry your stand around at a festival?  (Read 5771 times)

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
How do you carry your stand around at a festival?
« on: February 19, 2008, 12:42:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm returning to Bonnaroo this year and planning to tape at least a few of the acts on the bill.   ;D 8)

I took all of my gear last year, but managed to not tape much (Clutch and Tool was it, I think) because carrying my stand (a lowly 7.5-footer) around was a royal pain in the ass.  I tried to cram it into my backpack (an old book bag from high school), but it wouldn't fit in there well and didn't ride well once I had it crammed most of the way in.

I don't want to carry it by hand, nor do I want to have an entire bag dedicated to my stand.  I want to be able to throw my rig into a pack, strap the stand on (how?), and go.  I don't want to have to unstrap the stand any time I want into the bag, either, since it'll be home to a couple of water bottles, my festival guide, my jacket, the sunscreen, and any multitude of other things.  I may be carrying a small chair for part of the weekend, as well.

I'm at a loss for a solution here.  I saw a few Camelbak packs that might do the trick, but I don't really have $100 in the budget right now.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
Re: How do you carry your stand around at a festival?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
bring a clamp and find someone with a stand

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »
Haha ... Not a bad idea, except that I don't think I saw a single stand at Bonnaroo last year.  :P

I was the only taper for Clutch, for example.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
I use a camp chair type bag with a shoulder strap.  I know you said you don't want to dedicate a bag for just your stand but that works best for me.

*edit to add that no security guard every wants to search all the way at the bottom of a skinny 3 and half foot long bag either...  ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:35:50 PM »
We have several folding camp chairs.  My stand is small enough that I may be able to fit a smaller chair w/ the stand into a larger bag.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give that a shot.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »
seconds on the chair bag.  You can also sneak all kinds of goodies in with you in the chair bag.  Just tell em its a mic stand and they NEVER search it.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:54:04 AM »
I just use the strap from an old duffel bag. I loop one end around the top of the stand, and hook the other into the base. same result  as the chair bag, but no bag, and when the stand is set up the strap stays attached so it won't get lost.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
I used a small backpack that had two sets of straps stracked vertically for ski poles or climbing sticks. worked great for securing the mic stand. or you can just carry it by hand.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:21:20 AM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
An old picture in which I put the wrong stand (stage stand) in the side pocket/straps of the RakGear bag, but this is what I do with my Bogen 3373.  Probably wouldn't work with one of the big-ass stands, as it would stick up too far and probably be too wide for the base pocket.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:07 AM »
since you are running a lightweight set up, you could buy a small bogen stand and run the extension on top of it for extra height and not have to worry about stability.

Bogen stand 001B  $55
http://www.adorama.com/BG3369.html?searchinfo=lightstand%20extension&item_no=7

Bogen extension 3369   from 35"-92"   $38
http://www.adorama.com/BG3369.html?searchinfo=lightstand%20extension&item_no=7

Lowel Half Extension from 18"-30"  $40 (if you want a smaller extension)
http://www.adorama.com/LLKPH.html?searchinfo=lightstand%20extension&item_no=3

Roving Sign

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »
Check you local thrift stores for these - The Joe Camel Sixpack tube cooler...

Not a great picture - but my stand fits nicely in mine and has a back strap...makes it a bit easier to manage...plus once you get set up, you can go back to the car and grab a sixpack...

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
it keeps the w00ks away, because they look at it as more crusty than themselves.
i didnt know wooks were into persian music ;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
compression straps and tie it down
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »
I have used a small 2 day climbing pack.. They have external side pockets with compression straps meant to hold skis.. There is a small pocket on the side at the base of the pack and the stand head slides in to it and the straps hold the stang against the pack.. As well they usually have a pick ax loop at the base of the pack. If you put the head of the stand in the loop an flip the stand upright you can use the compression straps to hold the stand to the back of the pack...

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=AS9J&language=en

Now at festivals I just use this for everything (chairs, coolers, recording bags, tarps etc):

http://www.radioflyer.com/atw/atw_32.html

A :D

B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
I got a messenger bag that's pretty wide, I can actually fit the really small Bogen stand (actually I think a knock off) horizontally IN the bag across the top.  Everything fits perfectly inside the bag - recorder, mics, cables, extra gear, stand, etc.  Works well for me.
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »
An old picture in which I put the wrong stand (stage stand) in the side pocket/straps of the RakGear bag, but this is what I do with my Bogen 3373.  Probably wouldn't work with one of the big-ass stands, as it would stick up too far and probably be too wide for the base pocket.

That's exactly what I do. Having free hands is nice.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
Whatever you do, don't carry it like this dude.... BTW, which one of you was it?

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_19557.aspx

Police Confirm Sheridan College Gun Scare Was A Surprised Student Carrying A Mike Stand
Wednesday February 13, 2008

You may remember last Friday when students and staff at Sheridan College's Trafalgar campus were forced into a three hour-plus lockdown after a professor and some students saw a man apparently walk into a building armed with a long gun.

After almost a week of probing the incident, Halton Regional Police have confirmed what they thought all along - it was simply a student carrying a microphone stand. Cops say they reviewed security video of the scene and it clearly showed a young man walking down the hall with the object, which had been properly signed out from the Media Arts program.

Ironically, the bearer likely got caught in the lockdown he inadvertently started and must have wondered about the possibility of a gunman roaming the halls. It was only later that he realized he was the actual object of the hunt and contacted authorities.

Investigators have since interviewed him and he assured them he knew nothing of the havoc he accidentally caused and that he never used the device in a threatening manner or tried to fool anyone into thinking he was armed.

In the end, the nerve racking event was all a misunderstanding, exacerbated by recent shooting incidents on school campuses in the U.S.

While authorities admit the entire scenario wasn't pleasant, they also add it was an excellent test. All the procedures put into place for such an emergency worked perfectly and everyone did exactly what they were supposed to.

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »
I agree if you can't carry it by hand a beach chair bag works best but he did mention for a festival and at a festival I find the best way to get from stage>stage>camp is by wagon. It also serves as a table to protect your gear from wookies.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:09:32 PM »
I recall at High Sierra, the tapers would just move from stage to stage, all gear still put together, mics still in place, just get 4 people to grab all materials and walk in formation to next stage, sometimes still rolling.
:)
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »
I'm thinking of hiring some half naked, hot, wookie chick sherpas for festi season this year.  i hear they work for patchuli and nugs...  Anyone interested in splitting one? ;)
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
As Before but just had an idea for this year..

Take this

Strap a pc of 4" pvc and use Metal screw compression straps to tie it to the side.. Either vert or horizontal and slip the stand inside... you can get Caps for these and glue in place for bottom if vert or just put un snugg if as a case horizontal...

A :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:26:22 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline georgeh

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »
i'd bring the stand to bonnaroo. it could also be used to beat down the wookies
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
this just in! hot off the press,...
Sarges Leg-o-Blue-Jeans mic stand sack.

I'm styling now!

try to overlook the rust on the mic stand legs. I sort of need to repaint them, ehh??
it keeps the w00ks away, because they look at it as more crusty than themselves.

A close cousin to my adaped sweatshirt guitar thneeds.

It's great fun to throw one of these to a friend to wear.. one arm, cuff sewn up, and no neck hole.  :)
Uneeda thneed.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com