Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA 14 Package  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Fredman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CA 14 Package
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:23 PM »
Just got my CA-14 package, and have just a few questions:

1.  One set has red heat-shrink and the other black heat-shrink at the plug to my ear it sounds like the red ones are the cards.  Is this correct?

2.  Concerning mounting and stereo imaging, can I assume that the alligator clips are "normal" to the mic bodies?  In other words, can I reference the mounting angle off the clips?  If not, how would I go about making sure the angle is correct of the pattern I'm interested in?  The windscreens are glued onto and completely covering the mic bodies, so there's no good way to reference mountain angle off the body itself.

My mount is a SoundProfessionals SP-SHM-5 shock mount, and I'll probably rig up some little wooden extensions into the ends of the mount arms to clip the mics to; either that or "open up" the ends of the mount bar so the clips go in more easily.

I did go dig out my old Sure S-15A stand; had forgotten what  fine piece of engineering that stand is.  Nothing like raising that thing 15 feet up in the air; almost need a rotating beacon for low-flying aircraft.  hmm...  guess I could clip my bike flasher to it... :)

Offline mec111272

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Me? Who me? I'm not doing anything!
    • My LMA List
Re: CA 14 Package
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »
My guess is that the clips are not necessarily perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the mic.  However mine are close enough to get the job done.

It-Goes-to-Eleven makes delrin mounting bars that work great if you don't have clips.  If you are really anal about being exactly DIN or ORTF you can hit him up and get a set. 

http://www.adorama.com/WTSP20CM.html  The 19mm version of the clip on mic mounts do an adequate job of hanging on to them even with the clip. I didn't have this exact kind. 

Part of this becomes a question of how much of a difference does it make if the mics are not exactly DIN or ORTF.  These standards are not magic and slight changes are typically not noticeable particularly in the type of recording we do. My point being don't sweat it if you cant get it perfect.
Neumann KM-140,Church Audio Ca-14, Card Omni, CAD e70

Edirol UA-5 (T+ mod), Church Audio CA-9200, M148

Tascam DR2D, Marantz PMD 660 (Oade Songcatcher)

Offline Fredman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:01:47 PM »
I'll answer your first question and leave the second to a more seasoned technical person on the board:

1.  Correct.  RED band is omnis.  Chris should include a pamphlet about this as it's often asked.  :)

OK, just to confirm, RED = OMNI?  My post said I had thought the BLACK was omni.

Offline Lostbrook

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »
RED = OMNI

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com