Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 108972 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2014, 09:35:48 AM »
I'm going to post this over here since I'm pretty sure this a 680 issue.  Anyone had issues with the phantom power or seen anything similar to what happened in the post linked below?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=168966.0

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
I'm going to post this over here since I'm pretty sure this a 680 issue.  Anyone had issues with the phantom power or seen anything similar to what happened in the post linked below?

What was the air temperature at the venue? Hot?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »

I've (fingers crossed) never had that problem, but I believe others have mentioned it in the various 680 threads.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »

sounds like it is time for a new recorder!  I'll be home next week if you need to borrow the DR-2d
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
I know!   :facepalm:  It's really annoying.  Problem is I don't have anything to sell to help fund a replacement.  I'm just going to wait it out for now.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #260 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
I know!   :facepalm:  It's really annoying.  Problem is I don't have anything to sell to help fund a replacement.  I'm just going to wait it out for now.

Was it really hot out?

I've have that problem when running the DR-680 when it's really hot out. The bottom, back, right side of the recorder gets very warm and produces those spikes. Now, I make sure that area is not covered and is open to the air and I haven't seen the issue re-appear.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
I've have that problem when running the DR-680 when it's really hot out. The bottom, back, right side of the recorder gets very warm and produces those spikes. Now, I make sure that area is not covered and is open to the air and I haven't seen the issue re-appear.

Do you have your 680 in a bag of some sort? Or just in the open?

I can't say I've been in any super hot environments, but my unit has always been in the open (and powered via AC, FWIW), and I (again, fingers crossed) haven't had any issues, nor noticed any excessive heat.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
I always run it in a big camera bag, but I keep the area on the bottom clear and open to the air.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
I've had it happen a few times with the recorder in the Tascam form-fitting cover, inside the big bag while recording all day out doors.  I've been meaning to at least modify the snug Tascam case to let heat escape more easily from the power supply bottom corner.   Maybe even open up the machine to look at the possibility of modifing the recorder housing for better heat dumping, possibly even adding a bigger heat-sink, etc.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
The problem manifests on my machine as a sudden and obvious momentary level increase across all channels immediately followed by a longer level decrease, then 30 to 40 seconds later it then settles into a cyclical momentary level decrease with a period of a few seconds.  It's happend three times total.  Last time I had 6 channels of phantom turned on- two PFAs, four MGs.  On playback from the machine that cyclical level decrease moves across channels like a progressive wave.  You can see it move across the meters from one side to the other.  On playback of my surround recordings directly from the machine the level change rapidly wraps around the room from speaker to speaker.

[edit] I expect the meters will exibit that same behaviour when the problem is initially occurs while making recording, but in all three cases I wasn't watching them at the time and didn't notice it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:10:33 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
Thanks all!  I was inside at night, and it was warm but wouldn't say it was particularly hot. 

It only happened on the channels I was running phantom on.  Had mics > V2 > 680 (1/2) and SBD > 680 (5/6) that luckily weren't affected at all.

I bought a cheap-o portable USB fan that I'll stick under the 680 to get some air flowing and see if that helps.  At least this seems like a manageable problem.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
Different question: what are the voltage tolerances again? 

I'm running one of the naztech batteries on the 9v setting.  If the battery drops some voltage for a split second randomly (is that possible?) could that kill the recorder? (The internal batteries died and I'm an idiot and didn't change them).

Had a bit of an issue and just lost a set.  :( 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Not kill as in damage the machine, but maybe kill as in shut down or glitch the recording if the internal batteries weren't available to bridge a power intermittancy from the external battery.

Bummer about the set.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:27:47 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline achalsey

« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
Yeah that's what meant, sorry.  I switched the battery up 12v.  Hoping to doesn't drop out again.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
Well that answers my question! Just as I was going to ask how everyone is doing running their 680's on 9v. Guess I'll stick with 12v just to be safe.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com