Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744 - missing samples at 2 gig file breaks  (Read 3401 times)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
744 - missing samples at 2 gig file breaks
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:34:26 PM »
Hey All,

Seems the Panic recording I did on Thursday with a loaner 744 has some missing samples at the automatic 2 gig file breaks. Hard to notice but you can hear a slight skip where the the break is when I join the files. I have put the tracks together in Wavelab and Samplitude and both have the exact same issue. It was run 4021>V3>spdif out@24/96>744. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something on the recorder that I should set differently?

I have used this same recorder for another long show and did not have the same issues. There were a few differences in that recording - I had it set for 4 gig breaks, was recording 4 channels, was going analog in and had an earlier firmware. The retailer has had it for the last month and I updated the firmware when I got it back before the Panic show.

Should I seed it like it is? I was thinking about trying to patch it with the 4021>V3 anlog out>AD1000>Dat 16/44 tape but not sure if it is worth the work or evin if I can make it work. Would upsample the 16/44 tape and patch it in Samplitude - it allows you to really zoom in on individal samples but again not sure if I can improve it.

On a related note how do most deal with the 2 gig chopped up files in Wavelab 5 then CD Wave. I took each into Wavelab individually and added fades at the beginning and end. Then tracked each of the 4 files in CD wave. Then took the 2 songs that were splint (1 in each set) and joined them up in Wavelab. Seems this one new joined file was different than the rest because I could not open it in Samplitude and it did not play on other players on my computer (all the other trackes played fine). Samplitude sais this one file is not a .wav even thought it does have this file extention. Should I just be tracking it in Wavelab? If so how do I do this - I know how to drop markers but how do you chop them into individual files?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks!
Brothers

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: 744 - missing samples at 2 gig file breaks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 11:28:18 PM »
Should I just be tracking it in Wavelab? If so how do I do this - I know how to drop markers but how do you chop them into individual files?

I use wavelab for splitting 24bit files (there are no sectory boundary issues to worry about with 24 bit files).  set generic markers where you want to split the tracks.  Select Tools>Auto Split>split at markers.  navigate through the options dialogs and it will save them as individual files.  A nice benefit of doing it this way is that you can open the first file, then insert the next file right at the end using the Edit>Insert Audio File>At End function in wavelab and not worry about the 2 gig limit as long as you don't try to save the big file.  it will allow you to track out the whole set this way even if it is more than 2 gigs.

Offline not logged in

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:53:28 AM »
a 2gb split error is a known problem (at least on the 722) and was supposedly fixed in version 1.37 of the firmware (released just a couple of days ago).

the 2gb split error was introduced in version 1.32.

in addition to missing a short segment of music, on 722's the error added about 1/2 second of previously recorded music to the end of the file.

there's a thread on this problem in on the sd support forum (its now in the archives).

nobody reported a problem on a 744 however.

Hey All,

Seems the Panic recording I did on Thursday with a loaner 744 has some missing samples at the automatic 2 gig file breaks. Hard to notice but you can hear a slight skip where the the break is when I join the files. I have put the tracks together in Wavelab and Samplitude and both have the exact same issue. It was run 4021>V3>spdif out@24/96>744. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something on the recorder that I should set differently?

I have used this same recorder for another long show and did not have the same issues. There were a few differences in that recording - I had it set for 4 gig breaks, was recording 4 channels, was going analog in and had an earlier firmware. The retailer has had it for the last month and I updated the firmware when I got it back before the Panic show.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 10:06:31 AM »
a 2gb split error is a known problem (at least on the 722) and was supposedly fixed in version 1.37 of the firmware (released just a couple of days ago).

in addition to missing a short segment of music, on 722's the error added about 1/2 second of previously recorded music to the end of the file.

there's a thread on this problem in on the sd support forum (its now in the archives).

nobody reported a problem on a 744 however.
Of course I updated to 1.32 on 5-4 and they came out with 1.37 on 5-5 - missed it by one fricken day. Sounds like if I would have left the old firmwar on it would not have been an issue. Thank you very much for the info!! I will have to sign up for the support forum.

Damon, thanks for the tutorial!  I am going to track 24/96 in Wavelab from now on to save going back and fourth.

Since this was a known recorder issue I am going to go ahead seed it as is and list the minor flaw.

Thanks!
Brothers

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 10:16:24 AM »

The split error has been in the firmware since 1.17.  It happened with Damon's Wilco recording using the original firmware that shipped in the unit.

I just don't want anyone feeling secure about hanging with the old revisions.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 10:18:42 AM »
not sure the split error was audible before 1.32 though...I know I couldnt hear it on any recordings with 1.15 fw

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 10:24:19 AM »
not sure the split error was audible before 1.32 though...I know I couldnt hear it on any recordings with 1.15 fw
I think 1.15 was the version I had when I originally use the recorder. Seemed to be flawless on that recording. Going to update to the 1.37 and hope that fixes it for the next show.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 10:25:29 AM »
Maybe there was a new error introduced in revision 1.32.  I know that revision 1.17 didn't always split exactly and I vauguely remember reading something about the repeated samples being a problem when revision 1.24 was current. 

I was running the 4G split and breaking up the show in CDwave with no problems until I started listening to all these guys talk about  wave format compatability issues.   Now I have all these split files that have to be rejoined.   Remind me again how a HD recorder is going to make my life easier.  :P
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:28:17 AM »
Remind me again how a HD recorder is going to make my life easier. :P

not easier...cooler, those blinky lights make it look like there is a UFO in your bag :P

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 02:32:27 PM »
Remind me again how a HD recorder is going to make my life easier.

It has actually made my life a bit more difficult, but that's because I now have to do my mix later on. I think I spend more time monkeying around with the multi-channel mixes and that will kill ya. Takes me a few days now to get a show ready.

Life got a whole lot easier as far as gear I am lugging around, but time required to get a show out hasn't really decreased all that much.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com