Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stand suggestions??  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Mic Stand suggestions??
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies!  I learned a lot.  :)  And I apologize to bruloup for hijacking his thread.  ;D

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
I have the smaller Bogen for tight situations
but rarely need to use it over the larger one (3079)
besides we seem to clamp several pairs of mics to 1 stand
and I wouldn't want to trust the smaller Bogen to all that weight

again, it really depends on what/where you are going to record.  if it is small venue's where blending in is necessary, then even in some instances, the 3373 is too large.  but if you are going to be doing large touring acts (WSP etc.), then a larger stand might be necessary.  chances are, you will be able to find some clamp space at one of those shows. 

that said, eventually i will pick up a larger stand for the large touring acts where i am the only taper (or the only one w/ a stand) and have to get high, err.. .up high and get my friends up high
ask yourself where you will be using it, there is no one stand that will cover all situations IMO.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »

again, it really depends on what/where you are going to record.  if it is small venue's where blending in is necessary, then even in some instances, the 3373 is too large.  but if you are going to be doing large touring acts (WSP etc.), then a larger stand might be necessary.  chances are, you will be able to find some clamp space at one of those shows. 

that said, eventually i will pick up a larger stand for the large touring acts where i am the only taper (or the only one w/ a stand) and have to get high, err.. .up high and get my friends up high
ask yourself where you will be using it, there is no one stand that will cover all situations IMO.

that's why I own 3 stands
either I'm the only taper
or we are running SEVERAL pairs on 1 stand

blending in isn't an issue for me since I am usually taping for the promoters
the reason we all run on 1 stand is so everyone can set up in the sweet spot

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »
I use the 15' A.E.A. mic stand that costs like $175 new from Sonic Sense (I sound like a shill for them today).  Yes, it is expensive as hell, but I have never seen a more durable stand.  I busted the hell out of a Manfrotto stand in no time at all.  I bought my A.E.A. used for about $100 and it was money well spent.  A clamp also comes in real handy for those times when there are like 100 mic stands in the section and you want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  I use the cheap one for like $10 that I bought from Guitar Center and it works wonderfully.  Pick up some extra plastic / rubber stoppers at Home Depot for $2 and you are in business.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com