Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Post Production of Tapers Recordings  (Read 16261 times)

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Re: Post Production of Tapers Recordings
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »
I almost always do two things to most of my shows before released into "torrent land"
1.  Roll off the bass (anything below 40hz gets chopped).  My personal system can't hack it..so it goes.  Also...I find that most of the "Mud" lives in this area.

2.  Presence boost.  To my ears almost any live recording (besides umphreys  ;D Kudos to KB)....needs a bit of a presence boost for vocals and guitar.

I don't use a set EQ for any show.  Open in SF 8 > freq analysis (to see where all the mud is living) > EQ to taste using the envelope setting > normalize and then let it fly.

Only unamplified stuff is left alone....but getting unamped stuff is a rarity.

KLowe
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
Open in SF 8 > freq analysis (to see where all the mud is living) > EQ to taste using the envelope setting > normalize and then let it fly.

i don't know shit about using envelopes.  time to learn.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
My attitude towards this is simple. If you really know what your doing and you have good reference monitors and you can make your recording sound better WHY NOT? Do what you can to make it more enjoyable for

Hi Chris. I'm curious what you use as monitors... KRK? Tanoi? Behringer? (kidding on the last one)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
My attitude towards this is simple. If you really know what your doing and you have good reference monitors and you can make your recording sound better WHY NOT? Do what you can to make it more enjoyable for

Hi Chris. I'm curious what you use as monitors... KRK? Tanoi? Behringer? (kidding on the last one)

No my son.. I use Genelec 1033's I got them used from a sound company I used to work for they were a steal. But I have also used "smaart" and done some slight corrective eq for my room via a 10 band parametric eq. I am also using a Axiom 350 watt 12" sub for ultra low end below 40hz. Just to flatten the low end down to 20hz.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »
Anytime I feel the need to do any post-recording tweaking, I always make sure to save the original raw recording.  THis way I always have the original file and not some altered version, but at the same time I can tweak it if I feel the need to improve the listening experience.  Same story with 24/48 and other non 16/44.1 recordings - I always end up dithering and resampling to get to 16/44.1 but it would be pointless to then toss the original file...at technology continues to evolve, you'll regret not saving the original raw file at the highest bit depth and sampling rate possible.  What tweaking may sound good to my ears today or on whatever playback system I'm using I may realize down the road sounds inferior to the original raw file or else could be better improved with newer technology and/or improved knowledge and skills in mastering...hence I'll be glad I still have that original file.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com