Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?  (Read 27587 times)

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How to "wear" preamp + recorder?
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2009, 06:18:11 AM »
I'm no expert on metal detectors but I believe their effectiveness (handhelds) is largely dependent on proximity to the metal object. From the sales brochure for the Garrett Super Scanner:

I bought one of these on Ebay just to test out. I have found a large percentage of people not knowing the facts. I could put a thumbtack on the floor and with the detector at the most sensitive setting it will go of at 3 feet away. So if security at a venue wants to they can detect almost every metal object going into the venue.

Put that is not feasible of course.  Most places have the setting around the middle sensitivity range, then they only investigate further if they get a strong hit (High green/ red color sensor). Next time you get scanned notice how many times the sensors go of. Security will ignore most of the hits. They are looking for the strong metal content like a gun or a knife.

Funny story on when I had my scanner. I would be testing the scanner and my cats would walk by. The scanner would always go off. I came to find out when one of them passed away that they had been microchip-ed at birth but I was never given that info. So something as small as a microchip a few feet away will set of the scanner. 

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
Just over two years ago I sewed a pair of Y-fronts together. Nothing was getting in the way of my taping my favourite band that hadn't played together for 27 years.

Now how the hell do I put the Japanese bootleggers out of business so I can release my tape?

Merry xmas!

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2009, 09:21:05 AM »
I bought one of these on Ebay just to test out. I have found a large percentage of people not knowing the facts. I could put a thumbtack on the floor and with the detector at the most sensitive setting it will go of at 3 feet away. So if security at a venue wants to they can detect almost every metal object going into the venue.

That is being determined to figure it out! Thanks for the good info!

Maybe you can also get a uniform and stand out front, waving tapers through the gates... >:D

Merry xmas!

Humbug

That gave me a laugh.

Merry Christmas, people!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 09:22:58 AM by nathan_g »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »
the problem with a metal detector for the entire crowd is that it would take forever
there is no way a venue can afford to wand every person and check every "hit"
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
the problem with a metal detector for the entire crowd is that it would take forever
there is no way a venue can afford to wand every person and check every "hit"

I've seen it done here once before.  It was terrible.  HUGE line ups in -20 degree weather.  They were checking everything and everyone.  They opened up packs of cigarettes and confiscated everyone's cell phones!?  The show started very late and everyone was cold, angry and plain fed up.  In the end, the show was shortened and there was a mini riot complete with chairs being thrown around, the band stopping, the house lights coming up and the police making a bunch of arrests.  Anyone could have seen that coming as security's attitude was just itching for a fight and the atmosphere was poison.  Surely the extra security had something to do with the band's (Tool) contract but they took it over the top here.  Since then, the venue has been, in my opinion, struggling to book decent bands and it's the citizens of the area that suffer the most.

Didn't stop me from getting the recording, though.   >:D
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »
Seth-- classic story!  Glad you made it out okay and with the tape =)

Please PM me with some details about how you made it in with the gear in spite of the crazy security, I'd be interested to hear what the gear was and what Jedi tricks were used!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »
Seth-- classic story!  Glad you made it out okay and with the tape =)

Please PM me with some details about how you made it in with the gear in spite of the crazy security, I'd be interested to hear what the gear was and what Jedi tricks were used!
yes that would be cool to hear
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

nathan_g

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2009, 05:37:12 AM »
there was a mini riot complete with chairs being thrown around, the band stopping, the house lights coming up and the police making a bunch of arrests.

That's crazy! I would have been first out the door...did you get the whole riot/chaos bit recorded?

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
I won't talk about stealth, but this is the way I tape:
I have a MD recorder (which is small, maybe a little bigger than an R09HR) that I put in the right pocket of my jeans (which are big, at least 2 size bigger than me. I feel more comfortable and I have enough space to handle everything) and the battery box (no preamps yet!) is in the left pocket, connected by a wire to the recorder; obiviously I need 2 holes; then the mike cable in plugged into the battery box; mike are usually on my chest, left side. I haven't used any croakie method yet, but I'm planning to do it, if I can do by myself one.
So basically my setup goes like mike (lef side, chest) -> bb (jeans, left pocket) -> wire (over my ''jewels'', but as I'm sitting I don't notice any annoyance) -> recorder (jeans, right pocket).
Quite simple.. I usually have everything in its pocket, mikes in a pocket of my coat/sweater.. then I go the the toilette and I mount it.
As for levels: unfortunately my MD unit doesn't have backlight, so I adjust levels at the beginning of the show using a small led-light, I leave some headroom, the I set hold on the recorder (use the hold function, learned it the hard way..) and try to forget I'm recording. I check levels only is there's a noticeable increament of decibels.

My two cents..

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2009, 10:37:40 AM »
there was a mini riot complete with chairs being thrown around, the band stopping, the house lights coming up and the police making a bunch of arrests.

That's crazy! I would have been first out the door...did you get the whole riot/chaos bit recorded?

I was right on the floor in the middle of it all.  There were some definite scary moments and at one point I was even knocked to the ground but thankfully was able to get up right away.  I ended up covered in flying beer but did manage to keep my gear dry and get that whole thing on tape.  I released it on some of the private torrent sites but a quick search of it just now isn't turning it up...I suppose it has run it's course and died.  The date was 2007-11-29 - band was Tool in case anybody wants to hunt it down.  Oh and the title is "Soundtrack To Somebody's Death" because when Maynard (lead singer) was asking people to calm down he said "I don't want to be the soundtrack to somebody's death".  It was quite the site to see the whole band just sitting on the drum riser on stage chatting while the house lights were up - waiting for the whole ordeal to be done with.  I can tell you that after that, they did play some more but were obviously not motivated or into it at all.

I'll PM you two that requested it with some more details soon but I'll tell you in advance there won't be any big new revelations on how I got my gear in.  It was just a mixture of experience & luck.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

nathan_g

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
I was right on the floor in the middle of it all.

Crazy. Do they still employ such security tactics?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
I've gotten my 722 past wands at least 5 times now. It might have beeped once and I just showed them my belt buckle and got in. It might not have as much metal as a gun, but doesn't it have at least the same or more than a knife?

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »
I was right on the floor in the middle of it all.

Crazy. Do they still employ such security tactics?

Thankfully no.  But understandably, they have had a lot fewer shows since then.  I think the people, the cops & the venue are all still angry about it and the venue themselves seem to think that they don't need the income from concerts.  It seems that big names are skipping over my town (more than usual) and heading to one of two smaller venues in neighbouring towns that are really doing security as it should be - calm, cool & collected.  After all, it's about securing the venue, concert goers & artists not about bullying people because you have the power.  Unfortunately all too often that is forgotten.
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »
the I set hold on the recorder (use the hold function, learned it the hard way..)

Doesn't that just suck!?  Yeah, unfortunately I learned that the hard way too - I suspect many people have.  Thankfully I only missed about 20 minutes or so and there was another taper...but still.   :'(    I ALWAYS use hold now.
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »
if people were on here to source info on stealthing methods, couldn't they also just start a thread about it and have people deliver it in PM form right into their lap since we "can't" talk about it in open forum?
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com