Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT Transfer feedback  (Read 3057 times)

Offline sunshinedavedream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT Transfer feedback
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
Going through some DAT boards I made in the early 90s that need transferring. I used to have a spdif hooked into my old computer sound card but, alas, that machine is gone. I'm wondering about the wisdom of going analog out of my DAT player and into my Korg MR1000 at the 1 bit resolution. Sure, I don't keep my original 1s and 0s, but I can't imagine I'll notice much if any drop in quality at that sample/bit rate...anyone else ever try this? The DATs are recorded pretty hot and this will also allow me to lower the levels instead of doing that on my DAW. TIA, Dave
"Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."- Abbie Hoffman

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: DAT Transfer feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:34:37 AM »
It depends on how important the recordings are.

Personally I would keep it digital if at all possible; rather than going through a DAC + analogue circuitry + an ADC to get it back to digital again.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
I also would keep it in the digital realm

But I am a purest in that I prefer to have recordings in there original format in the digital realm (I.e. I have stopped circulating or master recordings at 16/44 unless they where originally done in that fashion, etc)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
replies #1+#2 are spot on.  if they are masters and you are having issues getting them archived then id wager there are a few kind souls here on the board that could help you.

another option would be getting a microtracker or a 16bit recorder with a digi in. dump to computer then sell that gear once the archiving is done.

id volunteer myself to help with any transfers, but i currently have 3 guys who's collections im helping archive in my queue already.  one has been taping since '76.

chris

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »
I don't think it much matter if you go D>A>D...  But for my own sake, I'd rather do it Bit Perfect the first time and not feel like "I have to do it over again" later in the future...

Normally, I'd jump at the opportunity to help, but I've got too many on my plate now as it is... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:14 AM »
There are a few 16bit solid state recorders in the yard sale at the moment. I suspect that if you bought a Marantz 660 for $300, you would be able to sell it for at least $250. $50 strikes me as more than worth it to do bit perfect transfers.

I also agree that in this day and age in which no one listens to a red book cd anymore, transfer and seed at the sample rate on the DAT.

I don't understand why people reample from 48>44.1
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
I agree with the concept of cloning vs D-A-D. Each converter has it's own quality or sound and the fewer changes the better. But make a copy and check it out. Though you would probably like what ever device has the better outputs.

Note the 660 does not have a digi in (at least mine does not) though there were some 670's in the yard sale at one time (though one did not play well with a DAT, if my memory serves me correctly). A 16bit deck with a Digi in would be ideal.

Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
out of the blue, i'm more than happy to help with a transfer of DATs > FLAC

plus it would be an attrocity to leave the digital world, you picked DAT for a reason ;-)

email me titotito at gmail dot com

i'll do a box of 10 to start, pay it forward to the next person needing help.

Offline sunshinedavedream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
thanks all...i think i am just going to keep these in the 16 bit realm and locate a 16 bit recorder with a spdif input. i have so many DATS that need to be transferred i might as well grab one, do it, and dump it...lol...this after transferring some 800 DATS almost a decade ago!
"Avoid all needle drugs. The only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."- Abbie Hoffman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com