Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's a nice way to turn down patchers?  (Read 14317 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
What's a nice way to turn down patchers?
« on: April 28, 2004, 01:13:16 AM »
While taping YMSB last week I got approached by a patcher. Told him it was my first time ever really taping and he'd probably better go through someone else.(Good thing too, 9v in the AD-20 went out 3/4 through 1st set) What's a nice way to turn away patchers if need be later in my taping career w/out saying it's my first time out?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:What's a nice way to turn down patchers?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:28:02 AM »
Got a short in my output.

-Kevin

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 02:05:00 AM »
i generally offer a patch if they are there in time, but warn them of possabilities in situations like that

Offline Sparge Master

• Sparge Master's List
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 02:32:04 AM »
While taping YMSB last week I got approached by a patcher. Told him it was my first time ever really taping and he'd probably better go through someone else.(Good thing too, 9v in the AD-20 went out 3/4 through 1st set) What's a nice way to turn away patchers if need be later in my taping career w/out saying it's my first time out?

Sounds sorta like me but did that for the opener hbrsb. I was able to borrow 4AA from slick rick. Rick also had a battery problem too that night.
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:14:52 AM »
Just run AKG's, they'll never ask for a patch ;D They'll go looking for the heady Schoeps.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »
Just run AKG's, they'll never ask for a patch ;D They'll go looking for the heady Schoeps.

Kinda funny how much truth there is to that!   I've had a few patchers basically come up to me, deck in hand, and ask if I'm running schoeps......the funny thing is that one of the times I was running ADK LEs!!!  Pretty easy to get the two confused I guess............

::edit::

oh yea....I always  give a patch to anyone that asks.....just sometimes I may not be as forthcoming with cables that they usually don't have.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:13:34 AM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »
kinda nice running the jb3, cause it cant pass a signal, but i DO have a coax out ready, but they dont have to know that

im pretty much always giving a patch if someone asks, but occassionally i just tell em i dont wanna deal w/ it and to look around, the truth hurts, but gotta think about yourself sometimes, because i had to leave early and d00d had a md, so i told him i didnt wanna bother, blah, blah!!

i always love spreading my rigs' tapes tho, 99% of the time, i say yes

however at red rox trey 01, i got like fuckin 10 dat patchers the first nite along w/ 3-4 md's, well i didnt start a couple md's and i forgot to start the last dat in the cahin, then ppl get pissy cause they left their shit w/ YOU and they dont have a copy, like its your fault, thats the risk you take not knowing someone and being the 10th patcher, afetr that run i said fuck patchers cause i had a crappy time worrying about decks the whole second nite after i took only 8-10 patches total

seems like since i got the v3 and jb3, it totally scares ppl away, i havent given a patch in about a year, since garage a trois
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

radioboy1977

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »
eight words:  run a laptop and a funny looking mic ;D

patch rats look at my rig and get scared!

what's funny is that i have an rca out i can offer, but no one ever asks.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 08:24:38 AM »

:spin:  LMAO

back to our regular Question......WHY?  One can always tell the truth (you're a dick and I don't like your looks or, .....patcher.. humph, or sure man but I want to warn you this is trial and error at it's best).
As most people here I'll give a patch when they get there in time and have the cables they need.  Once the recording starts, I don't like to move the bag due to cables may get jostled and I'll tell 'em that too and then point out someone who has their shit spread out all over the place and try to hook them up.

Ya know "some" patchers (not the MD kids) have more experience that one would think and could actually help you if you needed any. vSome  (most) will kick down on some goodies to say thanks for the patch.

Patchers need to have the cables they need for connection, be on time and wait till all is in place before bothering someone who is setting up a rig.  It's all a matter of timing....after Timing Is Everything. ;D

so what's w/ not wanting to give a patch?  You right not to, but wonder what the case may be as to why not?

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:57:42 AM »
so what's w/ not wanting to give a patch?  You right not to, but wonder what the case may be as to why not?

Until I had the setup of my laptop rig good enough to do in my sleep, I made patchers wait until I finished setting up. Adding them in the middle of my routine meant I was likely to forget something (like recording to the correct drive with enough space or arming a track or other such computer BS).

Also, as my gear puts out a 24-bit digital signal, I have had some decks have trouble locking to it (no input message), which is always frustrating. I keep 1/4" > RCA adapters in my bag and am more comfortable giving someone an analog patch to their deck or 16-bit A/D just so I don't have to spend 5 minutes figuring out if I'm passing signal correctly or their deck is one that just won't lock.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 09:05:16 AM »
fuck off

j/k  i always have a coax or aes out.  now i have a 12' coax and patchbay that nutter sent me, gets them far away.

jr
we all live downstream.

cleantone

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 09:13:37 AM »
I typically only give one to people who don't seem like they are gonna put it on-line the next day. The reason is I ALWAYS do some post production to recordings and thats what I want circulating. My first question is always "what are you gonna do with the recording"

Most often I just let them patch.

Somtimes I am the patcher. I'll bring my p1 occasionally to show for a patch. I ussually end up knowing the person who I get a patch from but I still look forward to getting turned away some day. That would be a kick!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »
I hold up my deck and say, "I'm not sure if I can get a digital output on this..."

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 12:01:22 PM »
I'm kinda curious about how to turn folks away since I've recently made it a rule not to patch MDers.  Well, really, not to give analog patches.  I run 3 separate digi outs from my V3 and am happy to accomodate digital patchers.  And if MDer get a CO2 or whatever, I'm happy to deal with them.  I've just had problems in the past with 1/8" mini analog cables going into my bag into my M1 since a slight tug on the mini cable can move the M1 which in turn moves the JB3 and I've had problems with dropouts from the optical cable as it gets moved about.  Getting a good pull for myself is more important to me than accomodating patchers, so I'm not giving analog patches.  I hate feeling like an ass, but if you want a patch for your MD from me, get a Hosa converter of CO2.  

I don't know how to tell MDers that though, and don't generally feel like getting into a long conversation with MDers each time they come up looking for a patch.  Usually I try to get one of my DAT patchers to accomodate them.  I suppose I could start telling them, sure analog patches are fine--you just need XLR cables to get out of my V3.   :P
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 12:38:21 PM »
I suppose I could start telling them, sure analog patches are fine--you just need XLR cables to get out of my V3.   :P

That's what I do, but with my bag setup I required right-angle XLR cables.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com