Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's a nice way to turn down patchers?  (Read 14314 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
What's a nice way to turn down patchers?
« on: April 28, 2004, 01:13:16 AM »
While taping YMSB last week I got approached by a patcher. Told him it was my first time ever really taping and he'd probably better go through someone else.(Good thing too, 9v in the AD-20 went out 3/4 through 1st set) What's a nice way to turn away patchers if need be later in my taping career w/out saying it's my first time out?
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:What's a nice way to turn down patchers?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:28:02 AM »
Got a short in my output.

-Kevin

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 02:05:00 AM »
i generally offer a patch if they are there in time, but warn them of possabilities in situations like that

Offline Sparge Master

• Sparge Master's List
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 02:32:04 AM »
While taping YMSB last week I got approached by a patcher. Told him it was my first time ever really taping and he'd probably better go through someone else.(Good thing too, 9v in the AD-20 went out 3/4 through 1st set) What's a nice way to turn away patchers if need be later in my taping career w/out saying it's my first time out?

Sounds sorta like me but did that for the opener hbrsb. I was able to borrow 4AA from slick rick. Rick also had a battery problem too that night.
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:14:52 AM »
Just run AKG's, they'll never ask for a patch ;D They'll go looking for the heady Schoeps.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 07:11:51 AM »
Just run AKG's, they'll never ask for a patch ;D They'll go looking for the heady Schoeps.

Kinda funny how much truth there is to that!   I've had a few patchers basically come up to me, deck in hand, and ask if I'm running schoeps......the funny thing is that one of the times I was running ADK LEs!!!  Pretty easy to get the two confused I guess............

::edit::

oh yea....I always  give a patch to anyone that asks.....just sometimes I may not be as forthcoming with cables that they usually don't have.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:13:34 AM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 07:27:08 AM »
kinda nice running the jb3, cause it cant pass a signal, but i DO have a coax out ready, but they dont have to know that

im pretty much always giving a patch if someone asks, but occassionally i just tell em i dont wanna deal w/ it and to look around, the truth hurts, but gotta think about yourself sometimes, because i had to leave early and d00d had a md, so i told him i didnt wanna bother, blah, blah!!

i always love spreading my rigs' tapes tho, 99% of the time, i say yes

however at red rox trey 01, i got like fuckin 10 dat patchers the first nite along w/ 3-4 md's, well i didnt start a couple md's and i forgot to start the last dat in the cahin, then ppl get pissy cause they left their shit w/ YOU and they dont have a copy, like its your fault, thats the risk you take not knowing someone and being the 10th patcher, afetr that run i said fuck patchers cause i had a crappy time worrying about decks the whole second nite after i took only 8-10 patches total

seems like since i got the v3 and jb3, it totally scares ppl away, i havent given a patch in about a year, since garage a trois
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

radioboy1977

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 08:04:08 AM »
eight words:  run a laptop and a funny looking mic ;D

patch rats look at my rig and get scared!

what's funny is that i have an rca out i can offer, but no one ever asks.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 08:24:38 AM »

:spin:  LMAO

back to our regular Question......WHY?  One can always tell the truth (you're a dick and I don't like your looks or, .....patcher.. humph, or sure man but I want to warn you this is trial and error at it's best).
As most people here I'll give a patch when they get there in time and have the cables they need.  Once the recording starts, I don't like to move the bag due to cables may get jostled and I'll tell 'em that too and then point out someone who has their shit spread out all over the place and try to hook them up.

Ya know "some" patchers (not the MD kids) have more experience that one would think and could actually help you if you needed any. vSome  (most) will kick down on some goodies to say thanks for the patch.

Patchers need to have the cables they need for connection, be on time and wait till all is in place before bothering someone who is setting up a rig.  It's all a matter of timing....after Timing Is Everything. ;D

so what's w/ not wanting to give a patch?  You right not to, but wonder what the case may be as to why not?

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:57:42 AM »
so what's w/ not wanting to give a patch?  You right not to, but wonder what the case may be as to why not?

Until I had the setup of my laptop rig good enough to do in my sleep, I made patchers wait until I finished setting up. Adding them in the middle of my routine meant I was likely to forget something (like recording to the correct drive with enough space or arming a track or other such computer BS).

Also, as my gear puts out a 24-bit digital signal, I have had some decks have trouble locking to it (no input message), which is always frustrating. I keep 1/4" > RCA adapters in my bag and am more comfortable giving someone an analog patch to their deck or 16-bit A/D just so I don't have to spend 5 minutes figuring out if I'm passing signal correctly or their deck is one that just won't lock.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 09:05:16 AM »
fuck off

j/k  i always have a coax or aes out.  now i have a 12' coax and patchbay that nutter sent me, gets them far away.

jr
we all live downstream.

cleantone

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 09:13:37 AM »
I typically only give one to people who don't seem like they are gonna put it on-line the next day. The reason is I ALWAYS do some post production to recordings and thats what I want circulating. My first question is always "what are you gonna do with the recording"

Most often I just let them patch.

Somtimes I am the patcher. I'll bring my p1 occasionally to show for a patch. I ussually end up knowing the person who I get a patch from but I still look forward to getting turned away some day. That would be a kick!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 11:29:59 AM »
I hold up my deck and say, "I'm not sure if I can get a digital output on this..."

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 12:01:22 PM »
I'm kinda curious about how to turn folks away since I've recently made it a rule not to patch MDers.  Well, really, not to give analog patches.  I run 3 separate digi outs from my V3 and am happy to accomodate digital patchers.  And if MDer get a CO2 or whatever, I'm happy to deal with them.  I've just had problems in the past with 1/8" mini analog cables going into my bag into my M1 since a slight tug on the mini cable can move the M1 which in turn moves the JB3 and I've had problems with dropouts from the optical cable as it gets moved about.  Getting a good pull for myself is more important to me than accomodating patchers, so I'm not giving analog patches.  I hate feeling like an ass, but if you want a patch for your MD from me, get a Hosa converter of CO2.  

I don't know how to tell MDers that though, and don't generally feel like getting into a long conversation with MDers each time they come up looking for a patch.  Usually I try to get one of my DAT patchers to accomodate them.  I suppose I could start telling them, sure analog patches are fine--you just need XLR cables to get out of my V3.   :P
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 12:38:21 PM »
I suppose I could start telling them, sure analog patches are fine--you just need XLR cables to get out of my V3.   :P

That's what I do, but with my bag setup I required right-angle XLR cables.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 12:46:52 PM »
the rca outs on my dap1 don't work.... I would have paid extra just for that "feature"  when I bought it!

No MD patches... ever. No way, no how. I have had that rule for a few years. Now, with no analog out that's not a concern.

I rarely ever turn down a digital patch. If I do I'm usually just too full at that point and I'll tell them and try and get them patched into another rig.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
Some fun possibilities:

1) I'll trade you a patch for a blowjob.

2) That'll be $20 please.

;)

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

marc0789

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »
1) the rca on the hhb is broken (md patchers).
2) sorry, I'm running aes, and the hhb won't send spdif.
3) I have the "no coax out" rev f mme.
4) or if you live in Minneapolis or a similar rube city, buy some dpa 4022's or other active setup. The wooks here think they are cheapo stealth mics, and head over to the fatty big sennheisers.

actually don't mind patchers at all. just hate when they use a taped up oade cable, and think it must be something in my rig that caused the dropouts. ;D

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 03:55:04 PM »
I'll generally give a patch to anyone, but if the patcher is using an MD, JB3, mp3 recorder of some other non-dat deck, I'll require them to run their own gear and make sure they have a long enough cable so that we all have plenty of breathing room.  I've had more than a few patchers get pissy at me when I won't run their MD which I don't get...

As for an excuse... just tell 'em the truth... "I've got some brand new gear/I'm trying some new techniques out and you'll probably have a better chance of a good pull going with someone else."

Make them think you're turning them down for their benefit and I don't see how they can argue.

Rusty

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2004, 04:36:24 PM »
Why is give a patch a prob?? I general give patches to whoever needs them as long as I can do it. I really dont care what they are runing. Sometimes its better to have a back up.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 05:39:39 PM »
4) or if you live in Minneapolis or a similar rube city, buy some dpa 4022's or other active setup. The wooks here think they are cheapo stealth mics, and head over to the fatty big sennheisers.

I get more patch requests with the ADKs than I ever had with the 4022s or 480s.  I'm looking forward to getting my JK labs so they move on down the line.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 08:27:24 PM »
I usually hook up most patchers.

I split my dig coax into a M1 and D7/8 chain
and give the optical out to the 1st person that needs optical ( I do tell MDers that if someone comes along with a JB3 they won't be getting the optical out)

km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 01:49:57 AM »
I happily give out a patch if asked.  My ua5 is fixed in my case facing up so I leave a 6' coax dangling out the back.  I don't want to be screwing around so I just pass my cable out.  If someone wants optical they are sol (I use a jb3), if they want analog they get it off the ua-5 headphone jack (The ua-5 headphone jack shares an amp with the analog outs anyway).  I have that adaptor in my "everyday" jb3 case because I use that cord for my car deck, so I don't mind whipping that out.
     Most patchers I've run into are ok... most of the time I get offered a beer or other intoxicant.  Share the love... thats what I say.  They usually help with the blocking if you're fob.  ESPECIALLY if they are using a nice deck.  I've gotten cd's out of the deal too.  Got some good Keller a couple of weeks ago!   More shows than not, I have someone patched out.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 02:19:36 AM »
present your rear end and exclaim "patch this!"
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 03:17:02 AM »
Must have pissed off some patchers w/ this thread, I've dropped 4 +T's since it was posted. Anyway, thanks for the advice as always all.

Team Texas

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 04:43:25 AM »
Must have pissed off some patchers w/ this thread, I've dropped 4 +T's since it was posted. Anyway, thanks for the advice as always all.

well, here's a + to get you back on track. one more if you change your avatar. she's scaaaary. :)

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 09:49:11 AM »
so man, what the reason you don't want to give a patch...it's all good and you can do as you wish (and should) but you have not really told us why you would not want to provide a patch.

whatsupwithdat ;)
jah

ps don't worry about the + and - T's  again...it's a facade of fluffing but to each their own.....  CHOCOLATE RULE!!!!  the only thing better would be a spell check  ;)
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »
I typically only give one to people who don't seem like they are gonna put it on-line the next day. The reason is I ALWAYS do some post production to recordings and thats what I want circulating. My first question is always "what are you gonna do with the recording"

Most often I just let them patch.

Somtimes I am the patcher. I'll bring my p1 occasionally to show for a patch. I ussually end up knowing the person who I get a patch from but I still look forward to getting turned away some day. That would be a kick!

I'm usually more than happy to give a patch, I just lay down the ground rules first -

1.  Come see me after I'm completely set up.
2.  Leave your deck and I'll start it for you.  I don't need another person in my way at the beginning of a show when I'm starting the tape, checking levels, etc.
3.  Trade it all you'd like but no seeding shn/flac/mp3s or anything else.  That's my job.  This is more a quality control issue, as you never know what kind of equipment they are using for post-prod work.

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 11:20:33 AM »
so man, what the reason you don't want to give a patch...it's all good and you can do as you wish (and should) but you have not really told us why you would not want to provide a patch.

Most likely I'll usually provide a patch to people. I just wanted to know what a nice way was to turn people away if need be. I highly doubt that I will turn people away in the future unless they are a complete ass.

well, here's a + to get you back on track. one more if you change your avatar. she's scaaaary.
It's a he.

Team Texas

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:46 AM »
Quote from: wsphansam quote

Most likely I'll usually provide a patch to people. I just wanted to know what a nice way was to turn people away if need be. I highly doubt that I will turn people away in the future unless they are a complete ass.

So  sounds like no issue for you then...if someone is being an ass..tell em or don't worry about not hooking them up/being polite.  When it happens you'll know exactly what to say.

peace and patch-on
jah
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2004, 04:05:13 PM »
get a 10' digicable that you can run away from all of your stuff and let the patchers deal with it all!
Works like a charm.  This past summer and in vegas this year, the same crew of people came to me since they know i dont mind it one bit if i send a digi out of my deck to them!  Makes like easy for me since i dont have to start a single deck and they are happy too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 04:07:07 PM by plucks »
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Tim

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2004, 04:07:47 PM »
yeah, for Phish I usually have the same patchers.

If any of you know Craig Burks from Vail, that guy is the best patcher in the world... always brings beers and treats, his shit works, and if something messes up he's really chill about it.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »
i'm open for patching, doesn't really matter. MD DAT JB3 whatever.  I will though tell them i'm not gonna guarantee a good tape, although its not normally bad, but who can predict a problem in a cable, deck, pre, battery, whatever.  I know some people wont give analog out for MD'rs cause they have to use their headphone jack, and that drains a lot more power, but i have 2 extra unused RCA outs and headphone outs as well, so i use them no big deal.

But if you really don't want them to patch and wanna get them away, say i'm what someone said about i'm not sure this is gonna work out i'm trying new techniques, or my batteries are getting low, i don't know if they will make it through the show.  peace.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2004, 04:17:23 PM »
record music that no one else records

Bingo!  Haven't had to give a patch in ages  8)

Sloan

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2004, 04:22:31 PM »
yeah, for Phish I usually have the same patchers.

If any of you know Craig Burks from Vail, that guy is the best patcher in the world... always brings beers and treats, his shit works, and if something messes up he's really chill about it.

mississippi kid, I told him to hook up with you
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2004, 04:24:35 PM »
he's patched from me before... love that kid. Gonna see him at Mule in Vail in a few weeks...

I didn't know he was a MS kid, now we have something to talk about...

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »
The best patcher I ever had was a young hippie chick at a Dead Rocks show in 1984. She was wearing one of those real loose fitting hippie girl dresses. I was looking down her top at her young, ample, white breasts the whole time.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2004, 01:07:24 PM »
The best patcher I ever had was a young hippie chick at a Dead Rocks show in 1984. She was wearing one of those real loose fitting hippie girl dresses. I was looking down her top at her young, ample, white breasts the whole time.

"is that a Nak CM shotgun mic in your pants or are you glad to see me?" ;D

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »
ha, classic chuck!!

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2004, 01:46:50 PM »
I've only had one patcher come up to me before.. MD kid with a 1/8" -> 1/4" cable in his hand (he tried getting a board .. hehe) I just had the D8 running since the DAp1's sla was dead (old battery). Had to turn him down (mainly for cabling issues). What was funny, is he was asking me repeatedly if I had an optical output on my deck..

I'd have no problem giving patches if:
1.) let me get setup first, and dont come to me when the band is onstage!
2.) Run yr own deck if MD.. I dont even wanna touch it
3.) Have your own cabling. why do I need to have cables for you?
4.) No mp3 conversions or any kind of editing.. thats my job yo!
5.) Get the source info correct! (this should go w/o saying)
6.) Buy me a fucking beer!!!

not a lot to ask for really..

-Jim

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2004, 07:21:34 AM »
i generally like to kick patchers in the crotch area then tell em to "fuckin get lost, spanky"

;-);-)

hahaha, ive only had one really dumb fuckin patcher, and sure enuf, it was at a biscuits show

d00d was movin my stand around at setbreak saying he "thought it would be better a lil higher this way", i fuckin flipped on him, hes really the only person ever ive flipped on, but anyway, hes all spun out w/ a md and acting like he knew how to run my shit, i was fuckin heated..........

but i let the fucker get the rest of the show off my patch since i was the only taper;-)he knew to keep away after setbreak and got the fuck outta there afterwards

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2004, 08:37:23 AM »
i'm confused..are we talking about the nicotine patch or the birth control patch?
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2004, 11:44:37 AM »
Bean, I dont blame you man! thats fucked up. I'd be like, "dude, you touch my shit again, my size 12 WILL be buried up your ass!!"
hahah

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2004, 03:43:27 PM »
How about "Sorry, I don't give out patches.  I'm too much of an asshole to offer anyone help with a recording"

That should turn them away.  Why be dishonest?  Geez, you'd think the drunks would be enough to get pissed about.

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2004, 04:06:56 PM »
I give out patches at will, partly because I've only run my rig about 6 times and I get pretty excited if soemone wants to patch. I guess I'm just thankful to all of those that let me get a patch for all those years, with an MD no doubt  ;). I can see how it gets annoying though, I already have a couple stories about some drunkin wooks with an MD in their hand and NOTHING else!

Sterling

PS - curious, have I ever patched out of any one here? Patched probably 50 shows in the past 3 years, whatever just curious.

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2004, 04:27:33 PM »
I've had some really bad patchers and really good patchers.

Everybody has to start somewhere ;D

I rarely turn someone down..

Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2004, 04:36:39 PM »

Ditto T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2004, 10:28:51 AM »
go team bama, you sound like team p-burgh

we should all get together sometime;-)

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2004, 11:37:51 PM »
go team bama, you sound like team p-burgh

we should all get together sometime;-)

Yea we should...
TDS!

Offline Tim

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2004, 02:03:14 AM »

for sure! and even if I turn you down I'm very nice about it...

jessedscott

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2004, 02:08:57 AM »
If they wait , untill I'm done setting up, and get my own head goin in the right direction. I'm ALWAYS glad to lend a patch..

BUT, and I MEAN BUT! If the  :guitarist: ARE A  :headbang: DON'T COME A  :banging head: your HEAD around here!

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2004, 06:12:26 AM »
If you really don't want to give out a patch just say that you might have to leave early and they would be better patching from someone else.  I always try to give out a patch if I can--met some really cool folks for the most part.

Had this one patcher patching out of my D8 and damned if the guy didn't tell me a couple of times to turn my levels down!!  Levels were nowhere near clipping.  Was -><- this close to telling him he can take his D8 and patch from someone else if he wants, but I just ended up ignoring him for the rest of the night.  I think he got the point.

AdamZ

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2004, 10:04:28 AM »
How about "Sorry, I don't give out patches.  I'm too much of an asshole to offer anyone help with a recording"
That makes sense to me. Why lie? Tell em you're neurotic about your stuff and to go away if you don't want patchers.
I ALWAYS hook up a patcher if I can. I met one of my best friends patching out of him when the long line of decks i was hooked into had a bad connection somewhere and I was only getting left channel into the analog D3 I had. He grabbed my cord and plugged me in to his shit and I got a stellar tape and a good friend.
I'd be stoked to have a HEAP of decks hooked into my mics. Make tape, party, socialize. Don't lose focus.
MiniDiscos are going to be enjoyed just as much as cassettes and all the other crap we all got.
 8)

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2004, 09:20:45 AM »
i generally like to kick patchers in the crotch area then tell em to "fuckin get lost, spanky"

;-);-)

hahaha, ive only had one really dumb fuckin patcher, and sure enuf, it was at a biscuits show

d00d was movin my stand around at setbreak saying he "thought it would be better a lil higher this way", i fuckin flipped on him, hes really the only person ever ive flipped on, but anyway, hes all spun out w/ a md and acting like he knew how to run my shit, i was fuckin heated..........

but i let the fucker get the rest of the show off my patch since i was the only taper;-)he knew to keep away after setbreak and got the fuck outta there afterwards

he would have been walking with his gear in his hands if he touched mine.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2004, 09:27:13 AM »
He would have been walking with something else in his hands if he touched mine... ;)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2004, 02:36:47 PM »
Slap the deck out of thier hands, and then stomp on it when it hits the ground! ;)
Then glare at them with a low throaty growl.

If they bitch after that say fuck it decks are cheap you can get another one.

I used to sell loose diamonds on the road. I'm in selling This guy that owned 10+ top selling jewelry stores. In walks a newbie diamond salesman. He looks at me & says lets screw with the new guy. (BTW he also screwed with me the first time I sold him.) So I'm like hell yea!!

He tells the guy I don't have much time show me your best stone. Salesman pulls out a nice 3ct rock. Shows it to Phil & he flips it across the room out of the diamond tweezers. The sales man freaks out. Phil laughs & said that stone sucked. Don't worry about it. You got anything better?

Some of the funniest shit I've ever seen. & yes Phil found the stone before the newbie left. But I bet he never went back to Phil's store.
TDS!

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2004, 04:23:49 PM »
all you have to say is aes out and they are out of there
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2004, 05:43:46 PM »
all you have to say is aes out and they are out of there

LOL thats a good one!!!

Just wait until some guy whips out his home deck though.. hahah

-Jim

Offline pecheney

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2004, 02:13:21 PM »
Man, I am a MiniDisc recorder and I feel like an outcast after reading all this.  Am I polluting the bootleg pool with bad tunes if i record with a MD?   ???

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2004, 02:29:58 PM »
Not if you're the only taper...or the only one willing to circulate a recording of a particular show. The general rule of thumb is that as long as you label what you're putting out, it's cool...but if you're patching out of someone who's planning on distributing their copy, it might be better to check with them first.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Tim

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2004, 08:22:13 PM »
what Dave said...

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2004, 08:54:12 PM »
Man, I am a MiniDisc recorder and I feel like an outcast after reading all this.  Am I polluting the bootleg pool with bad tunes if i record with a MD?   ???

He used the "B" word....

:yikes:

:instagib:
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.205 seconds with 86 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com