Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?  (Read 18478 times)

taperkat

• Trade Count: (0)
are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »
http://liberty.alphaquam.com/viewtopic.php?t=1791&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

This thread on another board is making me question.

I probably have 150-200 shows that aren't out there, because I don't have the means to convert them. Yet, these people on the board are saying "if you don't convert and spread the music you're not a true taper, you're not a real taper".

To which I call: BULLSHIT.

Now, am I wrong in assuming many of these people are just pissed off they don't have the recordings? in many instances, I'm the only taper, so mine IS the only copy. It's not just this band... there are many others, as well.

I don't have the time, money, or equipment to convert, and I haven't since I started taping back in 2000. I switched to dat this year so it will be easier to convert my stuff eventually. I haven't even updated my tapelist in about a year and a half. Taping is a hobby for me, not a job, and I do it because I want to hear the shows again. I do want others to hear them, but I also want the band to get copies as well, and if i were to be converting on my own, I'd be converting for the band, then eventually spread them online.

What do you guys think about this? They're talking about wanting me banned from the message board and all because I don't "share my shows".   ??? and that if I go to a show and tape, I should lie and say I didn't, because "they don't want to hear it".

Keep in mind some people FROM that board have tried sabotaging my recordings before (either by disconnecting wires or trying to break my mics), have told me I didn't "deserve to be in the front" because I hadn't seen the band enough times, and have yelled into my mics at shows on purpose.  :o

[it's a Vertical Horizon board.]

My response has always been "if you want the show, tape it your own damn self. And if you can't, then you're at the mercy of someone who can, so don't piss off the person who HAS the tape, because you're not encouraging me to spread them".

Thoughts? Opinions?

(and as a side note: the band knows I tape, and that I don't have the means to convert, yet they say for me to tape anyway, because at least they know it's getting taken care of.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:09:08 PM by taperkat »

taperkat

Re:are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:18:59 PM »
^ that makes sense, that's kinda why I haven't updated my list. I can't really trade any of my stuff unless it's on analog.. and no one trades tapes anymore.

I see your point though. Thankyaalex:)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:47:37 PM »
Definitely not obligated to share.  But I can understand how the whole "I know it's out there, but I can't have it - now I'm pissed" routine arises.

Kat - sounds like you need a transfer bitch!  Maybe one of the whiners will become your trusted transfer bitch and then they all can stop moaning.

Edit:  Just checked the thread and realized you had some masters disappear when sending out to someone for transfer.  Sucks!!  I like your idea of the listeners buying you a home MD deck with digi-out!  Yeah, that'll happen.  If you want to get the shows out, I'd try the transfer bitch option again - with someone very well trusted, obviously.  Otherwise...sit on 'em and enjoy 'em!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:49:37 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 01:48:56 PM »
For under $100 you can get an Edirol ua-1d for transfers...optical and coax ins and outs.  It's NOT bit perfect but I doubt you or anyone else would ever notice.  I transferred many shows using one and they all sounded great.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 02:19:22 PM »
you are never obligated to share recordings, except in cases where the band only permits you to record if you share a copy with them- that's a different story.  i hate the notion that people are somehow OWED a copy of a show just because a taper was there.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 02:39:43 PM »
obligated - not in the least however   its bad form  IMHO  to talk about stuff you cant or wont share with people who obviously want  said recordings.  

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 03:55:59 PM »
Problem is, once you start to get associated with taping a certain band, people pretty much know you have tapes when you've gone to a show. What do you do then, not even mention you went? Fuck that. The only tapes I've ever lied about are ones that bands have specifically asked me not to circulate.

On the other hand, it doesn't look like anyone on that thread has a clue about what taping and properly converting involves, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say, really. And I don't really see where you're dangling recordings and then saying nobody's ever going to hear them, either. Just not yet. Looks like they're blowing things out of proportion to me. Not that that's all that uncommon. :P

I guess it all depends on how expectations are set from the get-go about circulating recordings. If folks are properly educated about how it works in a certain community, then they know what to expect, and anything that exceeds those expectations is gravy...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 04:17:40 PM »
no one is obligated to do anything....outside of a band saying they want a copy if you tape, you are under no obligation to give anyone a copy. It's always cool to do so, but if there are people out there that seriously think they are obligated to get a copy because I taped it, then maybe they should go out, pay $1000's in gear, bring it to a show, deal with drunk wooks, and annoying chatter bugs and tape it themselves ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »
vertical horizon! bwhahahha

it sounds liek they are pissed because you tease them with recordings, so don't

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 06:02:02 PM »
Well if these people are trying to sabotage your rig or break stuff then I would stop taping them. Seems really immature to me. I mean I know of quite  a few people who have HUGE collections of recordings (taped and/or traded) who don't circulate their stuff. it is a lot easier nowadays and people are spoiled. I eman the day after shows people want to know where their copies are. I mean som of us in this community our machines and pump out the tunes incredibly fast others take their time.

If people are unhappy about it they should spend the 1000's of dollars and do it themselves. Same goes for people who bash others tapes. I mean soneone spent their time and effort to make a recording if you have constructive critisim than fine but to just say something like "this sounds like shit" doesn't help anyone
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 07:04:24 PM »
said before..but I agree with the "if you don't plan on circulating, or getting done for quite awhile, just don't talk about it".  It's not right for them to beg or bitch and moan for a copy, but unfortunately, you have to expect that now.  With BT and the archive and whatnot, everyone is spoiled with getting shows right away and no one has patience anymore.  Knowing this, the smart person would avoid the drama all together and just not talk about all the shows they are taping and whatnot if they don't intend on getting them out, at least on a forum like that.  I could see talking about it here, but on a fan board like that...it's just throwing bait in the water for everyone that wants to hear the shows.  

The whole sabotaging your rig, and being a dick to you at shows...thats nuts and totally uncalled for.  You must really love that band or something
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

taperkat

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 10:30:40 PM »
I tape the most random shit.. i mean, bowie last week, angie aparo/vertical this week, and Train, dashboard, dmb at the end of the month? heh.

and yes - if i didn't *heart* the music so much I wouldn't put up with the fans.

and it's not that I "won't"  - I can't. I can trade either MD or analog, and that's about it. And no one wants those.

and as for the Edirol, i don't think it'd help me, since my MDs only have optical in and not optical out, right?

(also, i need another hard drive before i have room to convert anything, and as well, a new processor since that's probably what's causing the clicks in my CD burnings. AAAAARG.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:08:41 AM by taperkat »

Offline radiohead_dpa

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 10:45:18 AM »
Actually it sounds like the best thing (if you are willing and have the cash) is getting a md deck with optical out.  

You can do with your recordings whatever you want.  A good middleground if you FEEL like sharing is if that community could do transfer for you and send the masters back.  If they are going to sabotage gear, keep your masters, and flame, then i wouldn't invest in sharing with the Vertical Horizon community.   I don't actively trade with the Muse community after initial interest because its too young, centered mainly in europe, and so VERY mp3 and md centered.  Sometimes certain communities unfortunately fuck themselves and then its best for tapers just to share with each other or keep their recordings vs sharing with the clueless masses.

As for responding to "did anyone tape this show" be proactive and don't respond to that community.  You are setting yourself up for flaming if you don't have a clear way or sharing or trading.  :banging head:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 10:54:28 AM by radiohead_dpa »

marc0789

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 10:58:41 AM »
this is an easy one. tell people you can only do dat, but are happy to b&p to someone who has a dat>computer, or whatever, with the understanding that they will have to bt the show.

however, if you're active on boards, make no secret of the fact that you tape the shows, and make zero effort to get them out there, you're gonna get shit for it. So either make the effort, or stay off the boards. Probably too late for that, like Brian said, you need a *transfer bitch*. ;D

silverbullet

Re: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 07:59:24 AM »
Good comments. I would just add not to list any shows on your list unless your ready to distribute them.

I tape one band several times in the hopes that others will also and then I would trade my shows out. I made a partial mistake of announcing that I had all these recordings and some fans get impatient because new recordings are hard to come by. Most bare with me because it's only a matter of time before they all do get circulated.

sucks that people yell and harm your equipment. If you have to tape then stealth it for these fans. Or throw them a bone or recording once in a while to keep them off your back. I at least upload a track or video of each show for these fans.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com