Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?  (Read 18479 times)

taperkat

• Trade Count: (0)
are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »
http://liberty.alphaquam.com/viewtopic.php?t=1791&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

This thread on another board is making me question.

I probably have 150-200 shows that aren't out there, because I don't have the means to convert them. Yet, these people on the board are saying "if you don't convert and spread the music you're not a true taper, you're not a real taper".

To which I call: BULLSHIT.

Now, am I wrong in assuming many of these people are just pissed off they don't have the recordings? in many instances, I'm the only taper, so mine IS the only copy. It's not just this band... there are many others, as well.

I don't have the time, money, or equipment to convert, and I haven't since I started taping back in 2000. I switched to dat this year so it will be easier to convert my stuff eventually. I haven't even updated my tapelist in about a year and a half. Taping is a hobby for me, not a job, and I do it because I want to hear the shows again. I do want others to hear them, but I also want the band to get copies as well, and if i were to be converting on my own, I'd be converting for the band, then eventually spread them online.

What do you guys think about this? They're talking about wanting me banned from the message board and all because I don't "share my shows".   ??? and that if I go to a show and tape, I should lie and say I didn't, because "they don't want to hear it".

Keep in mind some people FROM that board have tried sabotaging my recordings before (either by disconnecting wires or trying to break my mics), have told me I didn't "deserve to be in the front" because I hadn't seen the band enough times, and have yelled into my mics at shows on purpose.  :o

[it's a Vertical Horizon board.]

My response has always been "if you want the show, tape it your own damn self. And if you can't, then you're at the mercy of someone who can, so don't piss off the person who HAS the tape, because you're not encouraging me to spread them".

Thoughts? Opinions?

(and as a side note: the band knows I tape, and that I don't have the means to convert, yet they say for me to tape anyway, because at least they know it's getting taken care of.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:09:08 PM by taperkat »

taperkat

Re:are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:18:59 PM »
^ that makes sense, that's kinda why I haven't updated my list. I can't really trade any of my stuff unless it's on analog.. and no one trades tapes anymore.

I see your point though. Thankyaalex:)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:47:37 PM »
Definitely not obligated to share.  But I can understand how the whole "I know it's out there, but I can't have it - now I'm pissed" routine arises.

Kat - sounds like you need a transfer bitch!  Maybe one of the whiners will become your trusted transfer bitch and then they all can stop moaning.

Edit:  Just checked the thread and realized you had some masters disappear when sending out to someone for transfer.  Sucks!!  I like your idea of the listeners buying you a home MD deck with digi-out!  Yeah, that'll happen.  If you want to get the shows out, I'd try the transfer bitch option again - with someone very well trusted, obviously.  Otherwise...sit on 'em and enjoy 'em!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:49:37 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 01:48:56 PM »
For under $100 you can get an Edirol ua-1d for transfers...optical and coax ins and outs.  It's NOT bit perfect but I doubt you or anyone else would ever notice.  I transferred many shows using one and they all sounded great.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 02:19:22 PM »
you are never obligated to share recordings, except in cases where the band only permits you to record if you share a copy with them- that's a different story.  i hate the notion that people are somehow OWED a copy of a show just because a taper was there.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 02:39:43 PM »
obligated - not in the least however   its bad form  IMHO  to talk about stuff you cant or wont share with people who obviously want  said recordings.  

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 03:55:59 PM »
Problem is, once you start to get associated with taping a certain band, people pretty much know you have tapes when you've gone to a show. What do you do then, not even mention you went? Fuck that. The only tapes I've ever lied about are ones that bands have specifically asked me not to circulate.

On the other hand, it doesn't look like anyone on that thread has a clue about what taping and properly converting involves, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what they have to say, really. And I don't really see where you're dangling recordings and then saying nobody's ever going to hear them, either. Just not yet. Looks like they're blowing things out of proportion to me. Not that that's all that uncommon. :P

I guess it all depends on how expectations are set from the get-go about circulating recordings. If folks are properly educated about how it works in a certain community, then they know what to expect, and anything that exceeds those expectations is gravy...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 04:17:40 PM »
no one is obligated to do anything....outside of a band saying they want a copy if you tape, you are under no obligation to give anyone a copy. It's always cool to do so, but if there are people out there that seriously think they are obligated to get a copy because I taped it, then maybe they should go out, pay $1000's in gear, bring it to a show, deal with drunk wooks, and annoying chatter bugs and tape it themselves ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:18:24 PM »
vertical horizon! bwhahahha

it sounds liek they are pissed because you tease them with recordings, so don't

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 06:02:02 PM »
Well if these people are trying to sabotage your rig or break stuff then I would stop taping them. Seems really immature to me. I mean I know of quite  a few people who have HUGE collections of recordings (taped and/or traded) who don't circulate their stuff. it is a lot easier nowadays and people are spoiled. I eman the day after shows people want to know where their copies are. I mean som of us in this community our machines and pump out the tunes incredibly fast others take their time.

If people are unhappy about it they should spend the 1000's of dollars and do it themselves. Same goes for people who bash others tapes. I mean soneone spent their time and effort to make a recording if you have constructive critisim than fine but to just say something like "this sounds like shit" doesn't help anyone
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 07:04:24 PM »
said before..but I agree with the "if you don't plan on circulating, or getting done for quite awhile, just don't talk about it".  It's not right for them to beg or bitch and moan for a copy, but unfortunately, you have to expect that now.  With BT and the archive and whatnot, everyone is spoiled with getting shows right away and no one has patience anymore.  Knowing this, the smart person would avoid the drama all together and just not talk about all the shows they are taping and whatnot if they don't intend on getting them out, at least on a forum like that.  I could see talking about it here, but on a fan board like that...it's just throwing bait in the water for everyone that wants to hear the shows.  

The whole sabotaging your rig, and being a dick to you at shows...thats nuts and totally uncalled for.  You must really love that band or something
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

taperkat

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 10:30:40 PM »
I tape the most random shit.. i mean, bowie last week, angie aparo/vertical this week, and Train, dashboard, dmb at the end of the month? heh.

and yes - if i didn't *heart* the music so much I wouldn't put up with the fans.

and it's not that I "won't"  - I can't. I can trade either MD or analog, and that's about it. And no one wants those.

and as for the Edirol, i don't think it'd help me, since my MDs only have optical in and not optical out, right?

(also, i need another hard drive before i have room to convert anything, and as well, a new processor since that's probably what's causing the clicks in my CD burnings. AAAAARG.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:08:41 AM by taperkat »

Offline radiohead_dpa

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 10:45:18 AM »
Actually it sounds like the best thing (if you are willing and have the cash) is getting a md deck with optical out.  

You can do with your recordings whatever you want.  A good middleground if you FEEL like sharing is if that community could do transfer for you and send the masters back.  If they are going to sabotage gear, keep your masters, and flame, then i wouldn't invest in sharing with the Vertical Horizon community.   I don't actively trade with the Muse community after initial interest because its too young, centered mainly in europe, and so VERY mp3 and md centered.  Sometimes certain communities unfortunately fuck themselves and then its best for tapers just to share with each other or keep their recordings vs sharing with the clueless masses.

As for responding to "did anyone tape this show" be proactive and don't respond to that community.  You are setting yourself up for flaming if you don't have a clear way or sharing or trading.  :banging head:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 10:54:28 AM by radiohead_dpa »

marc0789

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 10:58:41 AM »
this is an easy one. tell people you can only do dat, but are happy to b&p to someone who has a dat>computer, or whatever, with the understanding that they will have to bt the show.

however, if you're active on boards, make no secret of the fact that you tape the shows, and make zero effort to get them out there, you're gonna get shit for it. So either make the effort, or stay off the boards. Probably too late for that, like Brian said, you need a *transfer bitch*. ;D

silverbullet

Re: are tapers "OBLIGATED" to share their recordings?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 07:59:24 AM »
Good comments. I would just add not to list any shows on your list unless your ready to distribute them.

I tape one band several times in the hopes that others will also and then I would trade my shows out. I made a partial mistake of announcing that I had all these recordings and some fans get impatient because new recordings are hard to come by. Most bare with me because it's only a matter of time before they all do get circulated.

sucks that people yell and harm your equipment. If you have to tape then stealth it for these fans. Or throw them a bone or recording once in a while to keep them off your back. I at least upload a track or video of each show for these fans.

AdamZ

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 08:07:20 AM »
In 1987, as I was freaked out after a Dead show trying to hook up tape trade, the guy told me "you want a tape? geta fuckin D6 and make your own". So,I did. Anyone who expects you to make them tapes/cds/whatever , and gets pissed if you don't, needs the following advice (updated for the ages) : "you want a tape? geta fuckin minidisc and make your own."
And dont put something on your list unless you're trading it,thats just foolery.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »
you mean, like, people actually, like, omg, like, go out and like, tape on their own?  I thought robots did that.

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 09:09:03 AM »
i have plenty of stuff that i tell others, if you want it then convert it for me, plenty of only tapes from really small things, but somehow no one ever seems to want to convert them, and it takes a while with a home deck, so i agree if you want dat you can have a copy or you can have untracked discs, you should teh look some folks give you when you say untracked, you would think it was the worst thing!!!  My computer is not fast and my time is very limited
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline Joe DiDia

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:57 AM »
you could just lie and tell them the recording came otu sounding like shit and you can't release it cuz it's unlistenable.

Peace,
Joe

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 10:05:48 AM »
gotta go with all of the above:

do tape, don't taunt, don't put on list what won't be circulated, do kick someone in the genitals who attempts to fuck with your gear(and for sure circulate that), transfer as your schedule permits or find a trustworthy bitch, don't use MD

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 10:26:28 AM »
TaperKat,

I'm in NC and can transfer DATs for you...  I'm sure I could dig up a MD with digi-outs also...  That is if you want help transferring any of that stuff...

As for obligation and what not, screw those folks...  Don't let it affect you... 

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

jessedscott

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 12:09:51 PM »
I like sharing with pp that call me asshole and other stuff.

JasonGreen

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2004, 02:40:23 AM »
*Wetting Huggies Now!*

No offense to you, but they REALLY piss me off over there.

thierryhenry

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »
*Wetting Huggies Now!*

No offense to you, but they REALLY piss me off over there.

Oh I know, I was one of them once...

By the way I love your 2003.08.30 and 2003.08.31 Radiohead tapes..

They are fablous..

Offline distance

• Taperssection All-Star
    • explosions in the sky tour archive
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2004, 02:55:54 PM »
i definitely don't feel obligated to circulate my tapes.  www.ateaseweb.com knows this already.. heh
a lot of it depends on the band or the community, though, as to whether i'm likely to circulate it.  if the band is open taping and people widely circulate things, then sure.  if it's like radiohead, not very likely.

then again, i also rarely get around to transferring stuff these days. i've only transferred one of the sets i've taped this year so far.

thierryhenry

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2004, 03:50:29 PM »
i definitely don't feel obligated to circulate my tapes.  www.ateaseweb.com knows this already.. heh
a lot of it depends on the band or the community, though, as to whether i'm likely to circulate it.  if the band is open taping and people widely circulate things, then sure.  if it's like radiohead, not very likely.

then again, i also rarely get around to transferring stuff these days. i've only transferred one of the sets i've taped this year so far.

Oh yeah how is that Camden tape of yours doing Distance?

:)

Offline distance

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2004, 03:54:07 PM »
Oh yeah how is that Camden tape of yours doing Distance?

that wasn't me.  i sold my camden tickets.

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2004, 04:00:30 PM »
thierry i think you're thinking of me in the case of camden   :-*   :P   :-*

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2004, 04:01:32 PM »
i dont' feel obligated to share my recordings. however, i don't brag about them either.

thierryhenry

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2004, 04:29:34 PM »
thierry i think you're thinking of me in the case of camden   :-*   :P   :-*

Yeah, that is you..

Has that tape ever seen the light of day by anyone other than yourself?

thierryhenry

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2004, 04:30:32 PM »
i dont' feel obligated to share my recordings. however, i don't brag about them either.

Simply, but brillantly put..

This is the mentality all tapers should have I think.

Offline mahntoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2004, 04:50:17 PM »
Bragging is fun sometimes, especially with the atease community.

thierryhenry

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2004, 04:51:31 PM »
It's cool..

Yeah.

taperkat

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2004, 05:28:21 PM »
i don't brag. i just usually am either excited about the show, or I get asked if I tape.. so i'm just not going to lie.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »
I always hate it when people come up asking (or incases demanding) my phone number/email address.
If I'm in the mood and feeling generous, I'll give out a few copies. But to the pricks who demand a copy.. fuck off. I didn't drop $$$$ to tape shows for YOU. If you wanted it to bad, you'd be taping shit yourself! :)

But, I do believe in giving bands a copy if they ask, or any hookups I've got with soundpeople, etc..

-Jim

JasonGreen

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2004, 08:06:46 PM »

I don't know, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but aren't you one of the pricks over at ateaseweb that publicly shit on me because I asked not to mp3 my source and then had the audacity to offer the mp3s via HTTP and shit on other tapers that chimed in on the thread?  If not, excuse this post.

And maybe I've been living in a cave, but for someone that doesn't tape, how to you know what the "mentality" of a taper is?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what went on over there was absolutely bullshit and is the number one reason I'll never release another radiohead show except to other tapers.

JasonGreen

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2004, 08:39:00 PM »
side note:  Sorry Kat for hijacking your thread.

taperkat

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2004, 08:49:05 PM »
*laughs* not a problem at all. I don't mind.

anyone else think that spinny avatar is craziness? wow.. reminds me of an ecstacy trip

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2004, 09:25:43 PM »

I got a mentality all tapers should have.

"FUCK STG!"

JasonGreen

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2004, 09:43:59 PM »

I got a mentality all tapers should have.

"FUCK STG!"

I feel some gossip coming on.

Offline distance

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2004, 11:38:07 PM »
I always hate it when people come up asking (or incases demanding) my phone number/email address.
If I'm in the mood and feeling generous, I'll give out a few copies. But to the pricks who demand a copy.. fuck off. I didn't drop $$$$ to tape shows for YOU. If you wanted it to bad, you'd be taping shit yourself! :)

i couldn't tell you how many times i have gotten email addresses, actually emailed and then those people never replied to my emails.  unless they go out of their way to impress me or something, i don't really think much of people giving me their email addresses.

thierryhenry

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2004, 12:35:06 AM »

I don't know, maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but aren't you one of the pricks over at ateaseweb that publicly shit on me because I asked not to mp3 my source and then had the audacity to offer the mp3s via HTTP and shit on other tapers that chimed in on the thread?  If not, excuse this post.

And maybe I've been living in a cave, but for someone that doesn't tape, how to you know what the "mentality" of a taper is?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what went on over there was absolutely bullshit and is the number one reason I'll never release another radiohead show except to other tapers.

Yeah that was me...Sad to say, but sorry.

That is when I first starting getting into all of this, and I didn't know what the difference between loseless and mp3 was. So I just collected everything in mp3....And I'm sure I pissed a bunch of people off in the process. Finally after talking to Evolvist and the RH Hub, I realized I was doing it all wrong, and eventually got rid of all my mp3 recordings and downloaded most every Radiohead show in loseless. I was dumb and stupid, and sorry for whatever I said in the past.

And about people expecting shows, that's true you didn't drop $$ to record for me, if they wanted it they'd be out there taping themselves...And that is what I've decided to do..

Sorry for anything I said in the past JasonGreen, like I said, I really do fancy your 2003 tape of Radiohead...And hope my recordings will turn out well in the future..Cheers.

JasonGreen

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2004, 01:04:13 AM »
thierryhenry-

I'm not one to hold a grudge, (as some on this board can bring up some embarrasing moments from my past *cough* Scott *cough* *cough* Alex *cough*).  +T

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2004, 01:10:51 AM »
alex

hold a grudge?

bah! ;)

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2004, 01:25:59 AM »

That is when I first starting getting into all of this, and I didn't know what the difference between loseless and mp3 was. So I just collected everything in mp3....And I'm sure I pissed a bunch of people off in the process. Finally after talking to Evolvist and the RH Hub, I realized I was doing it all wrong, and eventually got rid of all my mp3 recordings and downloaded most every Radiohead show in loseless. I was dumb and stupid, and sorry for whatever I said in the past.

And about people expecting shows, that's true you didn't drop $$ to record for me, if they wanted it they'd be out there taping themselves...And that is what I've decided to do..

Sorry for anything I said in the past JasonGreen, like I said, I really do fancy your 2003 tape of Radiohead...And hope my recordings will turn out well in the future..Cheers.

that was you! i remember you. from stg too, if i'm not mistaken... i knew i remembered the usename from somewhere... i remember you really making me mad about something. i guess it was radiohead.
anyway, whatever.
armen

Offline gewwang

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2004, 01:34:57 AM »

that was you! i remember you. from stg too, if i'm not mistaken... i knew i remembered the usename from somewhere... i remember you really making me mad about something. i guess it was radiohead.
anyway, whatever.
armen

Yeah, that thread was way, way, way back in the past....All of like two months ago.

JasonGreen

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2004, 01:44:10 AM »
kat-  This thread has officially been hijacked.  +T for letting us do it :)

taperkat

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2004, 01:48:33 AM »
i am but a pretty pawn. actually, it's facinating watching how things go... i watch people too much, I guess. :)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »
kat-  This thread has officially been hijacked.  +T for letting us do it :)

Anybody picked any good 'maters lately?

Sloan

thierryhenry

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
thierryhenry-

I'm not one to hold a grudge, (as some on this board can bring up some embarrasing moments from my past *cough* Scott *cough* *cough* Alex *cough*).  +T

Haha, go on my boy...

Anyway, yeah for anyone I pissed off in the past, I'm sorry. I was stupid and didn't know how the real trading/recording community functioned. I am trying to do it all correctly now, and hopefully I am...If not tell me! Thanks!

taperkat

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2004, 05:03:26 PM »
picking it back up where I left off.

Someone asked today on the Vertical board if there was any intent to have any recent shows spread. I mentioned that I"d be handing off some masters to my friend next week :)

and then I'm asked:

"Awesome. Do you have any plans on uploading any of them to the usual places (Bt.etree, STG, ETc.)? I will keep my eyes peeled. "

my reply:

"I won't be the one uploading them - most likely they will be going on FTPs, not any normal site, because I don't want to see them on eBay and I'm not too enthused about letting any ol yokel download them.

However, i'll make sure that the FTP information gets to this circle of people. Smile"

then someone else posts:

"im not gonna start an argument or anything...all i will say is that the 2 shows that were put up on sharing the groove were downloaded by a lot of people...people that are not part of this board, and people who may not have dled it in any other setting....and since the idea is to spread vh's music as much as possible, that seems like a really good idea to continue...confining the people who have access to dl it is essentially defeating the purpose... "

so then I posted:

"Depending that there seem to be server issues with STG right now, as well as some legal issues, I would prefer to keep VH's name off that area.

I could always convert them and then just do B+P where it will probably take me a month or 2 per show to do them. Smile"

Now i'm thinking I just get them converted and give copies to the band, and THEN let the BAND decide what they want done.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »
Since they're taper-friendly, have someone seed them on bt.etree.org

taperkat

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2004, 05:11:10 PM »
is that a good place to put them? not the legal problems of stg or anything as such?

i haven't downloaded much at all :/

Offline gewwang

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »
They have a check box on the upload page that asks if the band is verified to be taper-friendly. I've never left it unchecked as I only torrent taper- friendly (or at least tradable) shows there, so I don't know what the form will do if you don't.

Not sure what the legal issues are with STG. I've torrented alot of stealths there and never worried about it.

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2004, 05:26:36 PM »
They have a check box on the upload page that asks if the band is verified to be taper-friendly. I've never left it unchecked as I only torrent taper- friendly (or at least tradable) shows there, so I don't know what the form will do if you don't.

Not sure what the legal issues are with STG. I've torrented alot of stealths there and never worried about it.

If you don't check the box it rejects your upload and forces you to check it before continuing (I forgot once).  I, too, am wondering about these legal issues with STG.

taperkat

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
basically, it boils down to if stuff is being sold on ebay that is gotten off stg, does that mean STG is participating , albeit unwillingly, in the sales?

I guess I can always email the band and ask.

JasonGreen

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2004, 07:08:08 PM »
kat-  Just lie about taping.  Obviously these spoiled kids have taken your tapings (and others) for granted and now expect it.  I'd quit giving them shows all together.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2004, 01:16:43 PM »
Kat, I agree with you 100000%. The first person who offers to buy me a cd burner with no scms code can feel free to do so. Until then, I've spent my 5K on gear and don't need any more. I do have some shows at which I was the only taper and they are uncirculated. I'd love to spread these tunes, but I am not willing to pony up any more of my cash right now. This wook asked me one day how I plan to listen to the shows after I recorded it on dat. I pointed to the PLAY button. I'll go cd when I stop stealing coasters from the bar, otherwise they have little use to me.  ;)

People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2004, 03:04:02 PM »
Yep...  I agree unless the band has a policy that states otherwise you are under no obligation to do anything with your recordings.

However...  I must say I will never understand the people not wanting to distribute the shows they record.  I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$ on gear to do transfers...  but it's not hard to find a trustworthy transfer bitch - I am sure you could even find people willing to cover postage both ways. 

As far as the ebay excuse goes, people will always try to sell bootlegs on ebay.  Archive.org has 1,000's of shows available for the bootleggers to DL and sell.  The bootleggers could care less if I don't share my recordings - they will find something to sell - and if not they will start taping the shows themselfs (like the old days) - then I will have to pay $40 for an "import" of the show instead of grabbing it for free off stg.

I will also never understand tapers acting all high and mighty when people come up after a show wanting a copy.  Just give them an email address and offer a B&P or point them to stg/etree/ftp/etc.  I LOVE it when a crowd of people come up after a show wanting copies.  Also only about 1 out of 10 will actually email you back so it's not much effort to rattle off an email address to them.  However if someone demanded a copy or got pushy I'd tell them to buzz off.  But all the people who have came up to me after a show have been super nice - after all you have something they want.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2004, 11:51:41 AM »
Yep...  I agree unless the band has a policy that states otherwise you are under no obligation to do anything with your recordings.

However...  I must say I will never understand the people not wanting to distribute the shows they record.  I can understand not wanting to spend more $$$ on gear to do transfers...  but it's not hard to find a trustworthy transfer bitch - I am sure you could even find people willing to cover postage both ways. 

As far as the ebay excuse goes, people will always try to sell bootlegs on ebay.  Archive.org has 1,000's of shows available for the bootleggers to DL and sell.  The bootleggers could care less if I don't share my recordings - they will find something to sell - and if not they will start taping the shows themselfs (like the old days) - then I will have to pay $40 for an "import" of the show instead of grabbing it for free off stg.

I will also never understand tapers acting all high and mighty when people come up after a show wanting a copy.  Just give them an email address and offer a B&P or point them to stg/etree/ftp/etc.  I LOVE it when a crowd of people come up after a show wanting copies.  Also only about 1 out of 10 will actually email you back so it's not much effort to rattle off an email address to them.  However if someone demanded a copy or got pushy I'd tell them to buzz off.  But all the people who have came up to me after a show have been super nice - after all you have something they want.

--mizary

It's not always a case of high and mighty though.  It can become a huge pain in the ass; I'm trying to get my stuff together and get out of the venue without pissing off the staff.  God forbid I try to speak to a taper/civilian friend while I'm doing so, 'cause everytime I'm swarmed by a bunch of rude folks making demands.  And then how dare I suggest that they find a pen?  And why won't I contact them, or just send them CDs? "Oh I don't have email, just give me your number" (like I want some total stranger calling me at work to do them a favor; they don't wanna send B&P either, just send 'em the CDs).  Nobody waits politely while I try to speak to a cute girl.  My favorite is the guy that wants to yell to me while the band is gettin' down about getting a copy.  My policy:  "no problem, just come talk to me after the show."  "Oh, I'm leaving before the show ends."  Well, I'm not talking to you to explain the concept of B&P while I'm listening to the band!  I have 'em get pissed that I don't wanna trade (my favorite, being a Georgia resident, is "man I've got lots of Panic to trade!", like I don't know where to find that stuff); I can't keep up with all the stuff I tape, but I'm an asshole if I don't wanna trade with every pushy stranger at 2:00 am.  And the ones that do actually write you, I've had 'em write before I got home from the show!  I've also had a couple folks respond, hit me up for the B&P, and then a couple days later I'll get a random email from someone I didn't give my email to, one of the people I gave it to PASSED MY EMAIL ADD ON to their friends!!!

Anyway, I know you guys all know about all that kinda stuff, just seemed like a good thread to vent in  ;D !!

Sloan

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »
I just read through this, and one thing that really really bothered me was the people with a few posts that said, If you're not going to trade it, dont put it on your list. Well, fuck that. My list is for my own refrence, I cant believe the sense of entitlement some people have. Just because its on my list, doesnt mean you desearve to have it... Sorry, end rant.

thierryhenry

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2004, 12:30:34 PM »
All very valid points in my opinion..

Offline gewwang

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2004, 01:02:19 PM »
I've given shows to people and told them to keep it on the down low. Then found it on their list and had to ask them to remove it. If I'm trying to keep something out of circulation, having it on someone's list on the web isn't going to help me.

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2004, 02:39:22 PM »
I dunno, I am always glad to share my recordings.   The easiest thing I do is just print up a bunch of paper slips I keep in the side pocket of my Lowepro bag with my info and just hand it to anyone that asks about a copy.   Tell them to check my website when the recording status says "Done" then feel free to email me for a B+P or trade...or just download from archive.org or bittorrent.   Yep it seems to be the 1 in 10 ratio...it only seems about that many ever bother to follow through and even contact me later so really isn't that much work it ends up being ;p    I'd have to agree with the phone # thing though, fuck no is anyone going to get my phone #...go to a damn library if you don't have a computer with internet access or something.    Have yet to have someone ask for it though so that's good ;)
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »
My business cards at work have both my personal email add (I hate keeping up w/ multiple email accts.) and my office phone.  Since I don't have a whole lot of legitimate use for those cards anyway, I started handing 'em out at shows.  Didn't take very long before someone called me asking for copies  ::) , so now the handful of 'em in my wallet have a Sharpie line drawn through the number.  Never underestimate stupidity. . .

Speaking of which, my favorite is when someone INSISTS that you take their card, even though they are the one wanting copies.  Easiest thing is just to hand that card to the next person that asks  ;D . . .

Sloan

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2004, 03:00:19 PM »
Speaking of which, my favorite is when someone INSISTS that you take their card, even though they are the one wanting copies.  Easiest thing is just to hand that card to the next person that asks  ;D . . .

That is an awesome idea!  I will have to try that...

marc0789

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
I just tell everyone waldron is going to bt the show. ;D

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »
I've given shows to people and told them to keep it on the down low. Then found it on their list and had to ask them to remove it. If I'm trying to keep something out of circulation, having it on someone's list on the web isn't going to help me.

If you're trying to keep something out of circulation, giving to anyone is not going to help you.

-Kevin

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »
kat-  Just lie about taping.  Obviously these spoiled kids have taken your tapings (and others) for granted and now expect it.  I'd quit giving them shows all together.

QFT!!!!!!

thierryhenry

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2004, 07:19:08 PM »
My business cards at work have both my personal email add (I hate keeping up w/ multiple email accts.) and my office phone.  Since I don't have a whole lot of legitimate use for those cards anyway, I started handing 'em out at shows.  Didn't take very long before someone called me asking for copies  ::) , so now the handful of 'em in my wallet have a Sharpie line drawn through the number.  Never underestimate stupidity. . .

Sloan

Ha, I bet your business likes that...

JasonGreen

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »

QFT!!!!!!

qft?

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2004, 07:43:19 PM »

QFT!!!!!!

qft?

quoted for truth!!!

Offline gewwang

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2004, 08:15:22 PM »

If you're trying to keep something out of circulation, giving to anyone is not going to help you.

-Kevin

Yeah, but my reply was in response to another post saying someone's list could contain anything they wanted. Obviously I would not think this in true in the case of a hoarded show.

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2004, 08:39:23 PM »
Cool....I have just always followed the thinking that if you truly want to keep something uncirculated you can't give it to anyone.  Guess I'm kinda push this thread toward a different aspect of trading...back on topic I say!!

-Kevin

JasonGreen

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2004, 09:12:02 PM »

QFT!!!!!!

qft?

quoted for truth!!!

ah, I see

taperkat

« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2004, 04:02:49 PM »
the thing is - I'm not hording. I'm not.

I just have about 100000 other things I have to worry about (oh let's see, new car, need a job, trying to go back to school) before I even think about transferring anything.

Like i always say, if you want the show so bad go tape it your own damn self - or if you can't, help pay for someone to go tape it for you.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2004, 04:11:48 PM »
no time!!! thats what works for me.
or: I NO LONGER TRADE to get the non tapers at shows to quit bugging me.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2004, 11:19:29 AM »
time, that's the answer.  who has enough.  i can't even think of transferring and circulating all the sets i've taped.  the thing that get's me, is when you're at a festival, and someone wants a specific set.  that's nice, what if i never get to/want to transfer it.  there may be other acts that totally blew me away, they'll get priority.

jr
we all live downstream.

thierryhenry

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »
This is such a good thread, let's keep it going.

:)

JasonGreen

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2004, 03:47:24 AM »
and going...lol :)

thierryhenry

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2004, 10:43:01 AM »
and going...lol :)

Jason did you and those other bands open for Sarah McGalhan at that Seattle show you taped?

I went to your site, I am quite impressed with your stuff, keep up the good work!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2004, 12:41:16 PM »
as a taper I am obligated to do the following things.

1. Set up in the sweet spot
2. Pull good tapes
3. Tell yappers around me to shut the fuck up
4. Drink beer
5. put my shit away slowly at the end of the show because I drank too many beers.

;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

taperkat

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »
6. Knee anyone in the balls who thinks my mic stand is a urinal.

[7.3.00 3 rivers]

JasonGreen

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2004, 03:56:05 PM »

[7.3.00 3 rivers]

wtf?! lol

Monkey bars, yeah, but urinal? lol

taperkat

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2004, 06:32:10 PM »
dude, even in 9 inches of standing water, IT WASN'T WARM OTHERWISE.

he was a fucktard :)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2004, 06:55:05 PM »

[7.3.00 3 rivers]

yikes...good addition ;D
In Tyler we Trust

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2004, 02:05:31 PM »
as a taper I am obligated to do the following things.

1. Set up in the sweet spot
2. Pull good tapes
3. Tell yappers around me to shut the fuck up
4. Drink beer
5. put my shit away slowly at the end of the show because I drank too many beers.

;D

hah hell yeah!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.252 seconds with 111 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com