Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Last chance I guess)  (Read 19730 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Taping Guide Sign-ups! (Last chance I guess)
« on: August 03, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »
Last Chance, since nobody gives a shit apparently i'll post one more plea and then can it.  People who have contributed stuff (read: humbug) will have their stuff sent to the archive.  The parts I have written will also be sent to be archived unless some people really want to do stuff.  This coulda been so cool, guess we are just a lazy bunch of people.

-sanjay

The layout and mods:

Intro by someone pro-taping (I have an idea but i'm not sure if i can pull it off)

Chapter 1: So you wanna be a taper?  mod:King Crimson
Chapter 2: General definitions, basic stuff to know, taper friendly bands, stealth vs. open, bootlegging vs.taping.  mod:King Crimson
Chapter 3: Equipment choice (Based upon level of $ to spend, discuss beginner rigs, with user ratings, suitability for stealth or open taping, approx cost etc)  mod:____________
   subchapter: mics (I would like to see users of different mics writing a paragraph or two, w/ or without pictures discussing how they like each one)
   subchapter: decks (same deal as above)
   subchapter: preamps and phantom power (same deal as above)  mod:phatdats
   subchapter: cables
   subchapter: stands, t-bars, ect.
Chapter 4: Being nice to tapers (patching)  mod:   yemncsu
Chapter 5: Being nice to soundmen (SBD)  mod:____________
Chapter 6: Technique (How to pick the sweet spot, mic configuration, levels, monitoring, troubleshooting)  mod: S_TL-Taper   
   subchapter: how to find the sweet spot
   subchapter: mic configurations
   subchapter: setting your levels and monitoring
   subchapter: troubleshooting: what to do when something goes wrong
Chapter 7: The Audience (subtitle: your biggest enemy and your friends) mod:____________
Chapter 8: How to stealth a recording  mod:Humbug  (topic limited to equipment and configurations, no discussion of sneaking equipment in)
Chapter 9: Matrix techniques  mod:mmmatt post matrixing: mod:____________
Chapter 10: The future (24 bit etc)  mod:____________
Chapter 11: Mastering (discuss different software and the basic do's and don'ts when mastering a recording  mod:____________
Chapter 12: Spread that recording!   mod:C.Clark
   subchapter: shn
   subchapter: flac
   subchapter: bittorrent
   subchapter: web resources to spread recordings (archive.org, bt.etree.org, sharingthegroove(not the most popular choice)

Appendix 1: Stories from the field  mod:DCDireWolf
Appendix 2: History of 'bootlegging' and how it became live taping  mod:____________
Appendix 3: Equipment mods and Taper DIY (description of how to mod equipment (digimod ua-5, gain knobs on the dmic, NJB3 batts, ect)  mod:____________
Appendix 4: Archival and storage information.  mod:____________
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 05:34:19 PM by sirchek »
mics & cameras

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Taping Guide Sign-ups!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 03:21:34 PM »
yeah i probably won't need an assistant mod for technique. i merely said that for the equipment section since there are so many different types of gear. i'll be good and if i need help i'll do some outside consulting ;)

sorry for the confusion.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:12:37 PM »
Unless this is going to stay on this board, the less that is written in Chapter 8, the better.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 04:18:57 PM »
Unless this is going to stay on this board, the less that is written in Chapter 8, the better.

^^^^^^ good call. i think we need further discussion on how to handle this topic.....

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 04:49:23 PM »
alright, i didn't really think of the ramifications, i was just trying to cover all topics.  On one hand it could be a very negative part of the guide from a legal and ethical standpoint, but on the other hand as a taper i know I have stealthed and i'm sure most people here have  or have been willing to as part of their hobby of taping.  so we should weigh ethics vs what we are trying to do which is educate.
mics & cameras

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 04:50:48 PM »
I think a chapter on appropriate taper friendly online community should be included:

ETREE and Furthur should be mentioned, as well as Bands That Allow Taping (BTAT)...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 04:54:19 PM »
I think a chapter on appropriate taper friendly online community should be included:

ETREE and Furthur should be mentioned, as well as Bands That Allow Taping (BTAT)...

T

what about etree and further mentioned in the spread your shows section, and bands that allow taping as a seperate appendix, kind of an alphabetical listing.  as for taper community/online ness we could include a chapter or subchapter for that.
mics & cameras

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
trying to list all the bands that allow taping in the appendix would be futile and become obselete within weeks. there are always new bands / unknown bands out there that allow open taping. just a thought.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 05:56:28 PM »
I'd like to mod topic 8.

Almost all of my taping is stealth (never seen a taping mic stand this side of the atlantic!). The only time I'm not stealthing is when I have advance permission from the artist or manager, which is probably just 10% of the time. And even then, the equipment and technique is the same. Tricky subject, but I'm sure you'll all help me!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:52 PM »
I'd like to mod topic 8.

Almost all of my taping is stealth (never seen a taping mic stand this side of the atlantic!). The only time I'm not stealthing is when I have advance permission from the artist or manager, which is probably just 10% of the time. And even then, the equipment and technique is the same. Tricky subject, but I'm sure you'll all help me!

alright i'll put you up there, but that topic is kinda up for debate, if it gets axed you can pick a backup if you'd like
mics & cameras

Offline DCDireWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 05:59:58 PM »
I'll take Appendix 1 and/or 2.

Peace.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 06:05:15 PM »
I think what Matt is trying to get to, is that we all have good techniques for stealthing, alot of which work regularly...I think the last thing we want to do is to set ourselves up so that venues/bands have all of these methods in one handy dandy guide to reference....will make stealth taping a thing of the past as quickly as walk through metal detectors are doing it

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »
I think what Matt is trying to get to, is that we all have good techniques for stealthing, alot of which work regularly...I think the last thing we want to do is to set ourselves up so that venues/bands have all of these methods in one handy dandy guide to reference....will make stealth taping a thing of the past as quickly as walk through metal detectors are doing it

what if we made that section but made it only for this site?
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 06:10:14 PM »
what if we made that section but made it only for this site?

unfortunatley there is no way to control it...it will make it off this site whether we like it or not....kinda like our tapes ending up on ebay

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 06:12:49 PM »
don't forget

Chapter 13:  Evil Republicans and why we hate em!  ;)
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com