Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-Ear-Monitor Taping  (Read 28096 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: In-Ear-Monitor Taping
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 10:36:15 AM »
In the interest of preserving the S/N ratio of this thread, perhaps this is a good time to repeat my original question before we all break out our copies of the Code of Hammurabi, the Ten Commandments, the sermon on the mount, and Roe v. Wade :-)

Anyone have "recommendations for good general IEM receiver equipment that can 1) scan frequencies from multiple IEM manufacturers 2) separate the L/R channels correctly and 3) collect as much (non-noise) background data as possible.  DIY instructions or external links are more than welcome."

I haven't mentioned which bands I'm interested in, what their taping policies are, what circumstances under which I would tape in such a fashion (assuming I would, which is a huge assumption), and what the disposition of the result would be.  This is an equipment recommendation question, nothing more.

http://www.music123.com/Shure-P4R-In-Ear-Monitor-Receiver-i79690.music

I just called our sound chief, and this is the model reciever we use with our shure mics. OUr jazz band uses these , for the four vocalists mainly. OUr sound guy is a pro, so he generally gets the best, so this may be worth lookin into

Ray

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sleep is for Christians
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 10:39:48 AM »
http://www.music123.com/Shure-P4R-In-Ear-Monitor-Receiver-i79690.music

Sweet - I have those on my frequency list.  I will certainly check into them and see what they look like on the rf spectrum.  In answer to your previous question, most of the bands that I would be interested in taping like this don't have a stance one way or the other on taping, but soundboard patches are almost unheard of for them.  Not that I don't drool at the thought though ...

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2005, 10:41:01 AM »
and three pages later,... no ones offered any advice in direct regard to your question. And this is the way these threads typically end.

So if I came up with some good recommendations through my own research and experimentation, would anyone be interested in hearing about it or should I save it for somewhere else?  I don't want to inflame too much emotion, me being a newb and all :-)

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
Im not bashing at all, just a question for my own knowledge. What makes this method easier than flying mics or getting a SBD patch, given the ethical questions it raises potentially, and the obvious drawbacks in the sound quality.??

Just learnin.

I guess IEM taping is only useful when no open taping is allowed.
There is no reason to tape the IEM source when you can get a SBD patch

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 10:42:32 AM »
you tell me,....
I'm the one who here speaks out constantly against stealth recordings going out on the internet d/l sites, because I feel its detrimental to tapers.

I can understand you are against massive d/l sites, but what do you think about stealth tapers?
Are they evil tapers, too?

Ray76

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2005, 10:47:36 AM »
Im not bashing at all, just a question for my own knowledge. What makes this method easier than flying mics or getting a SBD patch, given the ethical questions it raises potentially, and the obvious drawbacks in the sound quality.??

Just learnin.

I guess IEM taping is only useful when no open taping is allowed.
There is no reason to tape the IEM source when you can get a SBD patch

Thanks Fellas. I personally would love to see more info on it. I never would do it personally, but from a knowledge standpoint, itd be very interesting. Thanks+T
ray

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2005, 10:48:29 AM »
I see people critizising IEM tapers, and I understand them from a open taper point of view, but I can't see any moral difference between IEM and stealth audiences.

Unfortunately for me 90% of european bands are against taping.
I consider taping stealth shows for personal enjoyment (and trading with fellow tapers) is not inmoral, and if I ever can manage to do an IEM recording and mix it with a nice
audience source I won't feel myself the evil.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 10:55:09 AM by redbook »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2005, 11:39:22 AM »
Now what about ALDs?

OK...ALDS recording is where a lot more people in the taping community will go off on you. If you do a search TS.com, you'll find (I think you can still find) some very heated remarks from a number of people against the practice of ALDS recording.

I've done it twice and I will never do it again.

The ALD's are very easily traced, the 2nd time I tried this the bands road manager walked right up to my seat and grabbed me and the ALD box.

I was young and stupid, I would never do it again. The ALD's are there for people with an actual disability and we shouldn't be exploiting them so we can make tapes.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2005, 11:53:47 AM »
I've asked this question before, but thought I'd pose it here again - what about ALD taping for someone like me, who is hearing impaired and often uses an ALD for outdoor shows?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2005, 11:55:14 AM »
that's a personal values judgment that you will have to make on your own

Most of us are not similiarly situated and as such I don't think we're really in a position to comment one way or another.

my $0.02
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2005, 12:19:08 PM »
Fair enough. FWIW, I haven't yet used that "stealth" option, and probably won't unless I know it's going to be a smoking show.

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »

Just learnin.
It is only beneficial in stealth tactics, especially for bands that do not allow taping. Concealability (if that is a word) is a big factor. No noticable wires coming down from the back of a baseball cap. No requirement to be in the "sweet spot". No needing to worry about the proximity of microphones to loud obnoxious teenage girls, or the Clapping Guy. I've taped plenty of local shows via the tried and true "stealth microphone" method, and the results have been better than no tape at all, but not as enjoyable as those I've made with my larger, stationary mics. Actually, I take that back. I did make one very sweet Barenaked Ladies tape a few New Years Eves ago with my SP-CMC-4s and my road weary Sharp MD deck. But beyond all that, the audible drawbacks of taping via IEM receievers do not outweigh the benefits of sneaking around with concealed microphones. I would consider it an interesting experiment, but not a total replacement for ambient recording.

Offline dev0n

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »
I would consider it an interesting experiment, but not a total replacement for ambient recording.

It is rarely even an augmentation in the best of circumstances from what I hear, and I doubt it could ever completely replace ambient recordings.  I think it makes sense to have an AUD as a backup to an IEM, if for no other reason than to replace certain components in the AUD with the IEM content.  Worst case scenario the IEM is useless for whatever reason and you still have a good audience recording, best case scenario the vocalist wanted all the audio components in his ear and the IEM recording just needs remastering.  The latter has been the case on enough occasions for my acquaintances that I deem it worthwhile to research it more and give it a few tries.

Ray76

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2005, 05:24:46 PM »
BTW, wtf is an ALD>??ray

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2005, 05:36:46 PM »
I believe the acronym is Assisted Listensing Device. It is a FM reciever from the soundboard. You just have to talk to one of the people at the information desk and they can give you one. Usually don't sound great. Recording can have FM wave issues and the sound can be analog.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com