Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?  (Read 30509 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »
The search is over!  An opti mod V3 should be here on Tuesday.   ;D

Now to find a m148.  Oh where oh where can one be?   8)
So I'm beginning to get the impression that the V3 by itself is not the best unit to run behind these mics. Well I don't think I'll be getting rid of my V3 and I doubt I'll be looking for another pre to run in front of it. So it's either get used to this "new" sound or go back to the unmodded 460's. I ran the CK61 caps and found them to be a little less fatiguing than the CK1x caps but still that in your face sound. I find myself wanting to turn the volume down more often, whereas with the unmodded 460's, I could continually increase the volume with very little fatigue. Anyone else with a V3 feel this way.

im sorry to hear you are unhappy with your mods tony, thats a major bummer.  sell the v3 & get a oade warm modfostex fr-2, ($1600 ) that will solve all your problems  >:D
I'm not really unhappy, although it may sound that way. They're just so damn punchy sounding. The unmodded 460's were warm and comfortable to listen to. I'm sure I'll get used to them and feel I did the right thing. Only way I'll get rid of the V3 is to replace it with a V4 ;D

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
460(mod)>248>SBM-1
481(3)>722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
that seems awfully bright tho kevin
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2005, 09:42:23 PM »
that seems awfully bright tho kevin

Yea, the m148 > V3 would sound sweet though  8)
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2005, 10:17:20 AM »
Ran the stock 461's > V3 last night for the first time.  Sounds great!  I'm sending my 460's to JW for the mod next week, though  >:D
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline ts

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
Ran the stock 461's > V3 last night for the first time.  Sounds great!  I'm sending my 460's to JW for the mod next week, though  >:D
stock 460's>V3 is a very nice sounding combo. I ran my JW's with the CK61's for RD and sounds much better than my first attempt. 

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »
Actually JW said the website isn't correct.  It is $175/mic now, and a one week turnaround.
and it's more than a week. i'm going on 2 now. 350 for the mod/pair. i paid 400 for the active cables with the CK1x caps and 350 for the 460 bodies. so i'll have a total of 1100.00 into a nice pair of JW mod 460's with actives. that i hope won't be too bright sounding.

FYI, Jim received my mics last Wednesday late morning.  He sent them back out via UPS on Thursday evening.  I got them last night.  Pretty damn quick, IMO.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2005, 02:16:38 PM »
Actually JW said the website isn't correct. It is $175/mic now, and a one week turnaround.
and it's more than a week. i'm going on 2 now. 350 for the mod/pair. i paid 400 for the active cables with the CK1x caps and 350 for the 460 bodies. so i'll have a total of 1100.00 into a nice pair of JW mod 460's with actives. that i hope won't be too bright sounding.

FYI, Jim received my mics last Wednesday late morning. He sent them back out via UPS on Thursday evening. I got them last night. Pretty damn quick, IMO.

+T bud, cant wait to hear how the jwmods compare to the sdtock 460's/480's

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »
OFOTD and I are still looking for volunteers with MiAGi II > V3 to help us with the comp Bean.  Why don't you head on down?

If not, would you loan out your rig for a weekend to help the cause?   ;D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2005, 02:32:39 PM »
OFOTD and I are still looking for volunteers with MiAGi II > V3 to help us with the comp Bean. Why don't you head on down?

If not, would you loan out your rig for a weekend to help the cause? ;D

where ya gonna be and when do ya need stuff ???

i need the rig this thursday/!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2005, 02:45:32 PM »
OFOTD and I are still looking for volunteers with MiAGi II > V3 to help us with the comp Bean. Why don't you head on down?

If not, would you loan out your rig for a weekend to help the cause? ;D

where ya gonna be and when do ya need stuff ???

i need the rig this thursday/!

ACL Fest is 9/23 to 9/25 in Austin, Texas.  We've been trying to piece a rig together but aren't having much luck.  If your really interested in donating to the cause we'd appreciate it.  If you've got shows planned, no biggie.  I'm sure we can piece something together, just hope to have 3 of the same cables > pre/adc setups running. 

I tried to get the loaner bumblebees, but Aberg's got them through the 25th or so.   :'(

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2005, 10:28:01 AM »
Someone emailed me asking about the JW mod 460's.  I compiled most of the information that I could find on TS.com and summarized it as the following for ease of research.

Jim Williams (JW) started doing these mods to the AKG 460's for studio recording.  It spilled over into field recording eventually.  To quote Jim, "
...the 460 mod includes transformer removal, new LT opamp, Hitachi transistors, MIT caps, etc. Low end extends to 2 hz. Top end has smoother clearer sound with great low level detail, all the plastic overtones are moved. I have Schoeps, B+K, etc., and these are the most real mics I've heard. You can hear yourself smile from 3 feet away!"

Jim compares having the mod done to , "when your driving up a mountain and your ears pop."  Several people that have run both the stock 460's and the JW mod 460's have confirmed that this is an excellent description.

JW also compares the mod 460's to the DPA 4011, 402x series of mics.  Moke & Goose ran a comparision of the JW mod 460's > V3 and the DPA 4022's > V3.  The results showed the highs of the mod 460's to a tad harsher and the 4022's to be more enjoyable overall, but the differences of the two were so little that most people didn't think the marginal increase of sound quality for the 4022's justified the big cost differential.  Moke's post and the responses can be read here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=48168.0

Basically the mod 460's give you a transparent, super detailed mics (the "high speed sound"), with an extended/tighter bass response, and when he mods them he matches the bodies.

Here's a picture showing what JW removes from the 460's:

JW charges $350/pair for the mod and it takes about 1-2 weeks depending on his workload and how you ship them.  The 460's aren't made any more and don't come up for sale used very often.  The bodies seem to go for $350 - 500 depending on the condition.  If they come with caps they're more obviously. 

JW told me the bodies with serial #'s prior to 9,000 or 10,000 have a different roll-off switch.  The old bodies had three separate pads run horizontally, where as the newer bodies have one vertical pad.  He said the older ones are not as easy to do the mod on and he doesn't recommend it.  Something to think about if you're in the market.  You don't want to get stuck with a pair that isn't modable.  This thread has a picture of the one with three pads and the one with one pad:

The other bonus with the 460's over the 480's is that they can be run with the ck1x caps, which the 480's can't.  The 460's can also be run with the AKG active cables, which are very rare.  Leegeddy & JAH are working on a set of actives that will work with the 460's and 480's, but no idea when they'll be available.

Offline ts

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2005, 10:24:25 AM »
nice gg, +T! Have you reached any conclusions on the mod460>V3 sound yet? I still haven't had a chance to burn mine in yet, I'm waiting for some leegeddy ic's to do it all at once.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2005, 10:36:56 AM »
Thanks.  I sold all my old gear including cables, and hurricane Rita postponed the delivery of my new cables from leegeddy.  I'm hoping to get them today so I can try out the JW mod 460's for the first time.  Rita also canceled my trip to the ACL Fest where OFOTD and I were going to do a comparision of the 460 / JW mod 460 / 480.  I sold my stock 460's yesterday, but I'm going to run a quick comp at home between the stock & JW mod before sending them out.  We shall see!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2005, 12:24:10 AM »
Just finished an at home comparision of the stock 460's, JW Mod 460's, and the 480's.  Ran them all through the V3.  Also ran a comp of the JW Mod 460's & 480's > M148 > V3.  Let us know what you think.

BT is available in the Kickdown section:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52183.msg679735#msg679735

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com