Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is breaking down RUDE?  (Read 7283 times)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
Re: Is breaking down RUDE?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 01:37:25 PM »
Doesnt bother me in the slightest to break down.  I paid my money to the band/venue.  If I dont want to tape it really isnt any of their concern.  Also, unless its a small band with not alot of folks there, the people on stage arent going to see it (unless its the onstage thing).  When your on the stage with the lights in your face you cant see diddley beyond the first few rows of folks.  And if some patron in the audiance or another taper tries to give me grief, well thats just laughable.  Who are they to question what I do.  Ive only been in that situation a couple of times and let them politely know in no uncertain terms that they can just STFU....and they did ;)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:02 PM »
I wouldn't even worry about it.  I leave after openers all the time.

Saturday I was hired to tape the opening band at a club here in town.  The drummer for the headlining band came up and checked out my gear during the tail end of the set and asked what was up.  I told him I was hired to tape the opening band.  He said, "oh OK.  Are you sticking around for us then?"  I said "I hadn't planned on it." and that was that.  No grief, no guilt trip.  It's a club, after all.

Had he offered to pay me for my time like the opening band, I probably would have stayed.  It wasn't in my plan though, and it was going to take some $$$ to change that plan.

I agree with previous posters - most people won't care if you leave between bands and you're fully within your rights to do it and no-one there should be able to say boo to that.  At club shows that happens all the time anyway!  Tearing down in the middle of a room in the middle of a set though, that is bad form (although I have done it before and would certainly do it again if I had to).  Try to avoid it if you can.

Dirk

Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2005, 03:22:22 PM »
I see no problem with it... In my opinion there's no point taping a band that I'll never listen to again... unless they want to pay me.

just run your own stand... I've had people clamped on to my stand decide to leave in the middle of the set... I didn't think that was very cool to be breaking down mid-set and possibly messing up my recording in the process.

I had to do this a few weeks ago, I felt AWFUL but the girl that came with us got sick and demanded we leave. I think it was Lance who let me clamp, if you're on these boards LET ME APOLOGIZE AGAIN.  Luckily, Lance was super cool, and he understood.

From now on if I'm clampin all members of my party will be clearly informed ahead of time that early departure is unacceptable.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2005, 06:15:32 PM »
i say don't even think twice about it. Should be no problem. If anyone asks...go with Brian's advice..."I have other plans or have to get up early."

I have broken down in mid set of the band I came to tape b/c of a drunk teenager whom I was beginning to feel "unpeacefull" towards. >:( I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that either. If your gear's in danger....or your sanity....I say break it down.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 12:22:37 PM »
or... if somone were to ask; you could tell them that the sound is just too dang good to be recorded.
db

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com