Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: busted recording at a show--what should I do?  (Read 14653 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: busted recording at a show--what should I do?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2006, 01:24:01 AM »

TIP OF THE DAY: Don't look like you're miserable when you're stealthing.  I can often pick the folks in a crowd just by their drab, bored looking stare.  Smile, look stoned, and enjoy your tape!

This is the best advice, ever.  If you are not enjoying yourself, then why the hell are you doing it?  I never drink before a big stealth job, only a puff or two.  Perfect glow, a little rocking back and forth never hurts.  I also do the 'stiff neck twist'....the head stays still and the body rotates.  Try it at home in front of a mirror, it is easy to do and it saves your neck as well as disguises your true intention which is to keep your head still.

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »
Next time some security guard starts to stare at you wink and blow him a kiss.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »
Next time some security guard starts to stare at you wink and blow him a kiss.

Yeah, ya never know...you might get lucky... :realhappy:
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2006, 02:24:38 AM »
i just thought since there was LA forum security and LAPD that i would be polite to the police because i dont know the rules.  so basically i can just say i want to leave-even to the police and just walk out-saying they cant hold me against my will--

So they cant even take pictures? I have the right to say no?

and leave?

thanks in advance

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2006, 03:00:28 AM »
i just thought since there was LA forum security and LAPD that i would be polite to the police because i dont know the rules.  so basically i can just say i want to leave-even to the police and just walk out-saying they cant hold me against my will--

So they cant even take pictures? I have the right to say no?

and leave?

thanks in advance
They cannot touch your gear...period.  They may try to intimidate you, and throw some fancy words and jive at you, but they cannot do it.  They DO have the right to boot you, but that's a different story.
Socks are overrated.

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 03:48:29 AM »
waitva sec, shouldnt you be at the show right now, not poisting on ts about last night.
how did they get you to erase the stuff off the card? did they make YOU do it? or did THEY know how to do it and did it?
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2006, 08:21:19 AM »
hypothetical - what if, when ushering you out, after catching you in the act, venue crew doesnt allow you to leave..?

Call the cops.

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »

TIP OF THE DAY: Don't look like you're miserable when you're stealthing.  I can often pick the folks in a crowd just by their drab, bored looking stare.  Smile, look stoned, and enjoy your tape!

This is the best advice, ever.  If you are not enjoying yourself, then why the hell are you doing it?  I never drink before a big stealth job, only a puff or two.  Perfect glow, a little rocking back and forth never hurts.  I also do the 'stiff neck twist'....the head stays still and the body rotates.  Try it at home in front of a mirror, it is easy to do and it saves your neck as well as disguises your true intention which is to keep your head still.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been stealthing for years with mics clipped to my glasses, done the head-bopping thing and never had a problem with the end result.  I've found that turning my head to the side more than 45 degrees has a definite effect with the omnis, but bopping up and down seems to be okay.  As long as you keep the amplitude only a few inches.    :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've been stealthing for years with mics clipped to my glasses, done the head-bopping thing and never had a problem with the end result.  I've found that turning my head to the side more than 45 degrees has a definite effect with the omnis, but bopping up and down seems to be okay.  As long as you keep the amplitude only a few inches.    :)

Concur
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2006, 09:20:12 AM »

Concur

disagree... but it's ok. :)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2006, 09:30:14 AM »
hey - the dutchman chimes in!!!

i agree with z. 100% - most all movement is audible. sometimes it is not too distracting, sometimes it is barely noticeable, but it almost always is audible, to some degree...

what you wanna do is learn the hippy shake, where the body does its thang, but the head stays still  8)
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline dank

• Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »
if youre tall enough, collar mounted omnis are nice... buddy who is 6'6' does this so he can move his head around during the show.

standing still doesnt really bother me.... im there to watch whats going on on stage anyhow, not look around the place.

puffs pre & during show have been a stealth requirement for me, for many years tho :)
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »

Concur

disagree... but it's ok. :)

i agree with z. 100% - most all movement is audible. sometimes it is not too distracting, sometimes it is barely noticeable, but it almost always is audible, to some degree...

I wonder if my playback just isn't sufficient...???   My experiece thus far is that vertical head movement is nbd, and horizontal is bad news... strange.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2006, 12:46:50 PM »
My thoughts on Pearl Jam's recording policy

Audio Recording
Small, handheld recording devices welcome.
No feed from soundboard.
No large, professional audio equipment.
No boom mics.
No external mics.

So basically you are using the internal mic on an Iriver, etc.

Thats gonna sound like shit, what are you gonna do, hold it over your head the whole show, or stick it in your pocket and get muffled sounds, or leave it on the floor and have somebody step on it maybe.

Anyways, its not even a taping policy, its almost like your forced to buy their LIVE CDS mp3 or flac over the internet.

Monopoly tactics = BS

they basically allow no taping if you read that and your gonna buy their tapes (if you follow those rules)

- T for Pearl Jam
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2006, 02:27:14 PM »
If I can at all come to their defense.  The live cd's that they offer are as good as it gets.  They make Instant Live look like shit.  The shows are usually up for download or purchase within 24 hours and never more than a week.  The show gets a proper after the fact mixdown for the cd's and they are only $10 compared to IL's $25 price tag.

I also know what the policy says but I have also witnessed rigs there as well as I think it comes down to more of how each venue decides to interpret and/or enforce the policy.  The last show I was at a few years back a couple of tapers had run one stand on the back corner of the board without problem.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com