Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: busted recording at a show--what should I do?  (Read 14654 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re: busted recording at a show--what should I do?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2006, 02:29:06 PM »
hey - the dutchman chimes in!!!

i agree with z. 100% - most all movement is audible. sometimes it is not too distracting, sometimes it is barely noticeable, but it almost always is audible, to some degree...

what you wanna do is learn the hippy shake, where the body does its thang, but the head stays still  8)

:D there it is!

Offline Aaron41

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quack
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2006, 02:54:52 PM »
If I can at all come to their defense.  The live cd's that they offer are as good as it gets.  They make Instant Live look like shit.  The shows are usually up for download or purchase within 24 hours and never more than a week.  The show gets a proper after the fact mixdown for the cd's and they are only $10 compared to IL's $25 price tag.

I also know what the policy says but I have also witnessed rigs there as well as I think it comes down to more of how each venue decides to interpret and/or enforce the policy.  The last show I was at a few years back a couple of tapers had run one stand on the back corner of the board without problem.

I'm not a huge fan of their live CDs. There is no bass. When I saw them this year, the bass drum was totally kicking my ass all night. On the CD, it is barely present. Although my tape has way too much chatter, it replicates that bass better.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline gursky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about getting nabbed at the show.  Back in September (2005) I was busted at Pearl Jam as well.  And it happened right about the same time yours did too, an hour in.  I was on the floor (row 22) and about ten people away from the aisle.  Not sure how they saw me, I never checked my levels and I was moving (head bob and such). 

In the end I was able to keep my gear but wiped my recording on the JB3.  I missed a few songs while I was interrogated by security, and caught the rest of the encore.  The rest of the show was kind of ruined for me but a lesson learned at least.  I know I am vulnerable to security and have tried to hide my gear better.

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2006, 05:36:19 PM »
If you get busted during the show, it's almost always for 1 of 2 reasons:  you were seen checking levels, or you were ratted out by an audience member who saw the mics.  If your gear is well hidden, those are the 2 reasons you'll be caught.  I really don't think anyone gets busted stealthing because they were standing still.  I'd say it's more likely an audience member saw your mics & ratted you out.  The security guy was looking for you already, & your guilty staring at him led him right to you.

Maybe not, but that seems far more logical to me.  Don't sweat it, they won't remember you.  If you're concerned, trade back a couple rows.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: undeleting data om CF card? (was: busted recording...)
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »
oh yeah they erased my flashcard.

- Try to do an Undelete/Unerase of the flashcard once you get home after the gig. It makes sense always bringing two cards for a gig, if they force you to erase your recording mid-gig, in best case scenario you might be able to continue taping later on, and don't risk overwriting the music that still is stored latent on the first card.

Erasing a flash card actually programs the erased area back to bytes whose values are all 0xFF (all 1's).  It's not like erasing a hard drive where they just modify the file allocation table rather than actually erasing the information.  In the case of a flash card, the information itself is erased.

Hmm, my bad. But this might only be partly true. With my Lexar 2GB CF card (for my Nikon D70) comes a software that claims to "Recover lost or deleted pictures". Maybe erasing a WAV file is a different thing, but somebody with more technical insight can explain this? Deleting pictures on the CF card doesn't reset the byte value to 0xFF, or how does the Lexar software work its magick?!

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2006, 05:46:50 PM »
In order to become writable again, your CF card MUST be programmed to FF's in any area where you will write data.  It is possible that files that are smaller than the size of a block will be left intact because there may still be writable area within that block.  In that case, it's possible for the file allocation table to be updated to show those files as erased, but by the time your file is larger than the smallest writable block (which for almost certain will be the case for live recording files), you'll actually be erasing the data in order to "erase" the file on your card.  Now, if you pull the card out of the programmer before it's done erasing, then the job will not be complete and it will simply resume the next time you plug the card into the card reader because the file allocation table will show that it's supposed to be erased.

So, I can believe that some .jpg files may remain after an erase as long as the block size is larger than your file size and you haven't used up all of the current block, but your wav files will be much larger than a block size.  If you erase one of them, there will be loss of data.  You might find a small snippet of the file left in the last block that was being written, though.

Now, if you're using a microdrive instead of a CF card, that's another deal.  In that case, you don't have to erase memory before it can be used again.  It may be the same form factor as a CF card, but a microdrive card contains a hard drive and you don't want to erase the data before rewriting.  That would just reduce the lifetime of the hard drive to write FF's before you wrote the data you really want.  A true CF card is FLASH memory based and any writable block must be erased to FF's before it can be programmed.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2006, 07:07:19 PM »
man i hate reading these kind of threads the day where i have to stealth a big show.  not having had to stealth a show in almost 2 years doesn't help either.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com