Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719  (Read 18615 times)

Offline P-Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
I'm interested in getting into taping. I was advised to purchase the Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719. Is this a good buy? My budget is roughly $500CDN.

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
Re: Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 03:58:07 PM »
no, buy an iriver 120 and some chris church mics and pick up a cheap battey box.

i had mini disc and that exact mic and upgraded after one show!
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
I really just want an all-in-one device if possible and external mic. Nothing with excess cords. Maybe as I get more involved, I'll buy those things, but am just a casual taper to start as I only go to 4-6 shows a year.

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
I really just want an all-in-one device if possible and external mic. Nothing with excess cords. Maybe as I get more involved, I'll buy those things, but am just a casual taper to start as I only go to 4-6 shows a year.
that's what rdflash suggested: the iriver will serve you as storage drive, taping unit and mp3 player and you can get one h120 on Ebay for $140-$150. Not sure how much Chris mics cost now including a battery box (I think around $200???)...This gives you a VERY good started rig, MUCH better than the MD+719 you said and much cheaper than your budget.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 05:21:47 PM »
Hi-MD is good.  There's noting wrong with starting that way.  The only drawback is that blanks will probably have to be ordered online and cane be $4-5 a piece US, sometimes a little less.  The advantage is that you have a physical copy that will last for a long time.  The iRiver is great because it is small and records the same quality as the Hi-MD and serves as a really good MP3 player.  The main disadvantage is that you have no physical medium to record to.  You are basically recording files to be stored on a hard drive or other medium that can go bad sooner than tape or MD. 

I'd say if you want a hard copy of your recording go with Hi-MD.  Since you don't go to many shows the cost of blanks won't be that big of a deal.  If that doesn't really matter get an iRiver H1XX series and put Rockbox firmware on it.  The stock firmware sucks.

The other suggestions about Church Audio were spot on.  For about $200 you can get a batter box and stealth mics and have a great setup.

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 05:29:46 PM »
The main disadvantage is that you have no physical medium to record to.  You are basically recording files to be stored on a hard drive or other medium that can go bad sooner than tape or MD.

This can be an advantage as well.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
what will the battery box do considering the iriver h120 has its own battery? how big will all this be?

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
what will the battery box do considering the iriver h120 has its own battery? how big will all this be?
the battery will power the mics so they don't distort and they can handle high sound levels. They are small: being the smaller a bit more the size of a 9v battery and the bigger something around 10 X 4,5 X 2,5 (cm.)

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »
I was just looking at the iRiver H120 and it doesn't really say it records, but when I look, it says it encodes in mp3. I want a lossless media file. Where would I be able to find these things though? Would I find these at my local Future Shop/Best Buy?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:31:28 PM »
I have an RH1 and it works just fine.  Yes, there is the advantage of removable media.  You can plug stereo mics into "mic-in" or use a battery box and go in through "line-in" for those really loud shows.  The user manual will cover that clearly.  Line-in has no pre-amp which you will not need for the ears bleeding shows.

The folks who reflexively bad-mouth MD's have usually not had experience with the Hi-MD units.  As for the mics, I was warned about SONY mics not having a good bottom end.  Well, I have an ECM-MS957 which does pretty well.  I do prefer the AT and Sennheiser based mics I am using but there are times that a stereo mic is a good thing.  Microphone Madness and Sound Professionals sell good, reasonably priced mics.  Chris Church also makes mics but I found him rude and hard to deal with.  Fortunately lots of other sources exist for mics. Some folks have had the same experience with Chris I had; other think he is swell. I have not yet heard a complaint or had a problem dealing with MM or SP.

Summing up I would say that you can use the RH1 as a platform: it works well.  Generally, SONY's mics are not the most musical.

Welcome aboard, recording is a lot of fun.  Learning where to place the mics for acoustic music is the art.  Standing in front of the speakers at a rock show is easy.    ;o)

Cheers    8)

PS - the RH1 is a great MP3 player, too.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:24:32 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:35:19 PM »
I was just looking at the iRiver H120 and it doesn't really say it records, but when I look, it says it encodes in mp3. I want a lossless media file. Where would I be able to find these things though? Would I find these at my local Future Shop/Best Buy?
different versions of the iriver stock firmware allow wav recording. But anyway you will want Rockbox installed on it, it's an open source firmware that improves every feature of the H120 and it's specially focused on recording, of course giving you wav recording.
You can try to get one in this forum in the Yard Sale or on Ebay.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
The main disadvantage is that you have no physical medium to record to.  You are basically recording files to be stored on a hard drive or other medium that can go bad sooner than tape or MD.

This can be an advantage as well.
Very true.  Depends on your outlook.  I can't judge because I use the H120 and think it's great.  However, I'd like to get a Hi-MD one day.  I miss having the physical discs that I can be fairly sure will be here 10 years from now.

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 07:19:34 PM »
get the hi-md.more advantanges than dis-advatanges.

Offline rdflash

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 12:47:12 AM »

i would shy away from HI-MD based on transferring the shows (if he plans on sharing or just transferring to cd or anything involved w/ transfers).

1.  he would need a good sound card
2.  this is real time transfer
3.  still need something to store transfer on
4.  pain compared to the minute it takes iriver to connect and "drag n drop"

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 01:07:26 AM »

i would shy away from HI-MD based on transferring the shows (if he plans on sharing or just transferring to cd or anything involved w/ transfers).

wow, pretty much nothing you said there is true.  RH1 will upload via USB to your computer with some simple software that comes with your HIMD.  Depending on how fast your computer is it will take about 15 min or so to upload a show that was recorded in PCM. 
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline rdflash

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 01:50:18 AM »

wow, pretty much nothing you said there is true.  RH1 will upload via USB to your computer with some simple software that comes with your HIMD.  Depending on how fast your computer is it will take about 15 min or so to upload a show that was recorded in PCM. 

whoops, i meant regular MD's - sorry!

i meant one thing and typed the other...my bad!

btw, iriver fluffing requires no software and records in wav and transfers quicker ;)

Offline MadMaster

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live from Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 04:08:04 AM »
My 2 cents:

I started with a Hi-MD (Sony MZ-RH10), recorded 3 shows and hated the limit of max. 96 minutes on a Hi-MD disc when recording in PCM-WAV.
After that I upgraded to a Nomad JB3, but didn't like the size of it.
Now I have a iRiver H120 and for back-up a H140 and the iRiver with the Rockbox operating software is perfect for me.

My mics (AT931's) + battery box (SP-SPSB-8) + iRiver fits in one of my pockets an the complete rig is really small sized.
I added clips from the Clip Company to the iRiver & battery box to clip the gear to my belt when recording.

Forget the Hi-MD and especially the ECM-719 mic and buy yourself a good rig that isn't that expensive...  8)
Microphones: SP-CMC-2 cardioids / MM-MCSM-4 cardioids
Batteryboxes: SP-SPSB-8 / MM-EBM-1
Recorders: Edirol R09HR / iRiver H120 / iRiver H140 / Sony MZ-RH10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 04:46:46 AM »
I use both my 2 x RH1s and my iriver H140 rockboxed.

pros for RH1:
mic in AND line in=>you don´t need a preamp(important for stealth-tapers) ;)
the internal preamp of the RH1 is top-notch!

pros for iriver:
no 94min 55sec PCM recording limit (thats why i have 2 x RH1s) for hotswapping after 75-80minutes
...i just unplug the line-in cable from the 1st RH1 and plug it to the 2nd one which takes 1 second. you won´t hear this on the recording because the "swap-track" after 75-80 min is the last track of the 1st cd and thats where i do a fade out in post.

Only 1 RH1 wouldn´t do the job for me as I HATE the 94min PCM limit as others mentioned here already.

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Semayat

• Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
Hi,

To P-man : I used to tape with a MD and that Ecm-719 (omni mic) and i must that was full of crap : I've recorded over 15 shows with that rig and have only 4/5 nice sounding shows....that's a nice rig when you tape in small quiet club, but when you want to tape in festival or loud shows that's truly inapropriate....
I decided to upgrade :

I bought (as you can see in my sig) an IRiver IHp 120 (rockboxed) and some AT831's at SP (who are very reliable) and i have GREAT results...you'll be under 500€, believe me, and your ratio costs/pleasure has no price  ;D ....Be sure that this IRiver unit records in lossless (you can choose the settings your self) and not only Mp3....the size of this rig is cool : I put my batt box in one pack of cigarettes and my unit+mics in my front pocket...I've never get busted by the security, yet  ;) ::)
The IRiver records over 14 hours of music on a 20Go hd....

HIMD+ecm719 : 450$ new
AT831+battbox+IRiver : 450$ (mix of new & used)

just like MadMaster said :
Forget the Hi-MD and especially the ECM-719 mic and buy yourself a good rig that isn't that expensive...

Just think about that... ;)

Semayat
Selling : SP CMC-2, SP SPSB-1

Taping rig :
Mics : SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
Preamp : CA9100 (V3.2)
Recorder : Ihp-120, H2

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »
ok, so I think I've crossed the MZ-RH1 off my list. How long will the iRiver H120 record in wav for? I'm going to see Alexisonfire & Billy Talent on July 13. They'll probably be 3 1/2 hours (on the safe side).

If I look at SP.com for a mic, what am I looking for?

Btw, I've been looking and I can't seem to find any place in Canada, where I live, that sells the H120. Any help?

Just as a side note, I'm kinda in a bit of a rush too because on June 18 I'm going to see Russell Peters, the comedian, and want to tape it.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:37:18 AM by P-Man »

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 11:37:44 AM »
You will have to check on ebay or in the ts yard sale as these are not manufactured new anymore.  You could post as ISO in the yard sale and see if anyone wants to sell one.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 11:55:24 AM »
Aw shit. Is there any other option instead of the iRiver H120?

edit: Can't seem to find it on ebay, only batteries. >:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 12:01:43 PM by P-Man »

Offline smokydays

• Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
It seems like there are a couple of different models that are geared toward our interest.  All of them benefit greatly from installing the third party firmware rockbox. 

EDIT: h120 & h320
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:11:24 PM by smokydays »
Still Missing Woody...

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »
It seems like there are a couple of different models that are geared toward our interest.  All of them benefit greatly from installing hte third party firmware rockbox. 
Example of these?

Is there another manufacturer?

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
ok, so I think I've crossed the MZ-RH1 off my list. How long will the iRiver H120 record in wav for? I'm going to see Alexisonfire & Billy Talent on July 13. They'll probably be 3 1/2 hours (on the safe side).
you can record till you fill the 20 GB hard disc :) There is a limit in size (1.75 GB) or in time (can't remember how much, 3 hours and something). But after reach the limit, it starts another file automatically (while saving the first one), so there is any lost in the music.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2007, 01:54:12 PM »
Keep a lookout for iRiver:

h120
h320

They crop up on ebay from time to time and also in the yard sale here.

I also am interested on how long I can record (by that I mean battery life). I recently got an iRiver and its supurb thanks to Rockbox. Haven't taped with it yet so not sure how long it can tape in WAV with the internal battery.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »

h120
h320

I also am interested on how long I can record (by that I mean battery life). I recently got an iRiver and its supurb thanks to Rockbox. Haven't taped with it yet so not sure how long it can tape in WAV with the internal battery.

You should be able to get 6-8hrs of recording time easy  out of a good battery

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »

h120
h320

You should be able to get 6-8hrs of recording time easy  out of a good battery

Awesome, thanks for the info.  +t
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
Are there any current models that I can buy? Any brand other than iRiver thats more common marketplace (ie. Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.)?

What about a mic? Any common manufacturers? How long does Sound Professionals take to deliver?

Offline MadMaster

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live from Amsterdam
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 02:16:24 AM »
Are there any current models that I can buy?

The iRiver models that on the market right now won't do the job.

Any brand other than iRiver thats more common marketplace (ie. Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.)?

At the moment, no. Or you have to buy a Edirol R-9 which is more expensive.

What about a mic? Any common manufacturers? How long does Sound Professionals take to deliver?

Soundprofessionals can deliver everything you need, try the AT853's or AT831's. I'm from Europe and received my mic's within' a week, regular shipment.
Other not that expensive suppliers can be Microphone Madness and Church Audio (the owner, Chris, is a member of this forum).

Overall tip, check other topics at this forum, there is a bunch of info available. Use the search-option and 99,9% of your questions will be answered. And check the rigs of other people, many of the members overhere have there rigs mentioned in their signatures (like I have).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:25:12 AM by MadMaster »

Offline Semayat

• Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 03:55:14 AM »
Yep, that Edirol R9 seems nice, but you must buy a SD card to record the show  :-\ ...these IRiver already have a HD...I don't know about the IHp320 (some people here uses to tape, apparently no big differences in term of capacity/battery lenght), but the IHp120 is GREATTT  ;D

For the mics :
SP CMC-2 (AT831's)
SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
CA STC-11
MM HLSC-1
...all these stuffs are great and pretty tiny for stealthing...add a batt box and this is done.
Check in the "rig picture" forum, there are some pictures, then you will have a good idea of what your future rig will look like.

Then your wallet will decide for you ;)

Semayat

Taping rig :

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 05:15:02 AM »
Yep, that Edirol R9 seems nice, but you must buy a SD card to record the show  :-\ ...these IRiver already have a HD...I don't know about the IHp320 (some people here uses to tape, apparently no big differences in term of capacity/battery lenght), but the IHp120 is GREATTT  ;D

For the mics :
SP CMC-2 (AT831's)
SP CMC-4 (AT853's)
CA STC-11
MM HLSC-1
...all these stuffs are great and pretty tiny for stealthing...add a batt box and this is done.
Check in the "rig picture" forum, there are some pictures, then you will have a good idea of what your future rig will look like.

Then your wallet will decide for you ;)

Semayat

try to get 4.7k-modded SP-CMC-4(U) =>low sens mod by soundprofessionals available now for these mics!
this mod will make your mics capable of picking up very high sound pressure levels(SPL) with no audible distortion!
;)

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 11:40:32 AM »
So, considering the h120 is unavailable, the h320 is acceptable?

These battery boxes, how much? where do I buy? what model?

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
So, considering the h120 is unavailable, the h320 is acceptable?
well, they are available on Ebay from time to time. And the h140 (same, but with 40 GB) is easily available right now, seller "roadpal" is selling a lot of those.
The h320 is more than acceptable too (is the same except for the digital input) and also his bigger brother, h340

These battery boxes, how much? where do I buy? what model?
there are always some selling for cheap in the Yard Section here. And you have a lot at Sound Professionals or Microphome Madness for $50 or $60 bucks.
There are many different models: simple ones, with sliders, with bass roll-off...

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »
So, realistically, do you guys think its possible to have everything by June 18 if I buy by tomorrow?

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
I don't see why not.  If you buy from Soundprofessionals they are very good about shipping.  If you buy from eBay just make sure the person has excellent feedback.  I rarely deal with anyone who las less than 99% unless they have thousands of sales.  If you sell to 10,000 different people you're bound to have a few that want to complain.

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 12:35:28 PM »
What's your thoughts on the SP-CMC-19 mic?

The other ones are kinda pricey.

Battery boxes, what kind? Can I have a link?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:38:19 PM by P-Man »

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »
I would go church audio cards before I would do those.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,80054.0.html

179 US with pre. That and a h120 you would be golden.

Look on the LMA for tapes of various setups and see what your ears like

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
here lotsa irivers ihp140 with warranty!
search for "ihp140" on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/ihp140_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 02:10:33 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Forget to CMC-19's, they're good (I've used them in past), but Church Audio beat it imho and they are awesome price.

Get in touch with Chris (on this forum) ASAP and order his mics and a battery box (you won't be disappointed).

Then just search ebay and the yard sale here daily for an iriver (either h120, h140, h320 or h340).

Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
CA mics are kind of $$$. Are the CMC-19's decent enough? They'll give a ok to good recording from the seated section of a venue?

The battery box, where do I buy this? Sound Professionals? Where on there?

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »
The Church Audio mics arn't that much more expensive. You really would get much better results for spending that little bit more.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
i have the sp-cmc-19s, um.... get the Church Audio mics, the sp's have a ok sound, but it could be better
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline Semayat

• Taperssection Regular
  • Reggae Taper
    • Reggae live
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 05:28:47 AM »
HI,

Honnestly 10 days b4 june18th, if you live in the states/canada, that seems possible....
I've found some Ihp120 here
Go get the CA or the SP mics+batt box and you'll have the perfect rig to begin IMO...
You'll be under 500$

Semayat

Taping rig :

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
Ok, Which is better, h320 or h120?  I don't know which to buy.

The mics, I'm going to PM Chris in a few min.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2007, 12:48:15 PM »
H120 is slightly better as it has optical in/out (if that matters to you).

H320 doesnt have optical in/out (but still has normal line-in).

H120 will be more expensive I would think.

Doesn't matter which one you get, both will record lossless WAV easily.  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
They seem to be same price...

Anyways, I was talking to Chris. I'm going to buy from him. But, does the iRiver 120 or 320 have 3.5mm input?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »
They seem to be same price...

Anyways, I was talking to Chris. I'm going to buy from him. But, does the iRiver 120 or 320 have 3.5mm input?
yes both have 3.5mm input ;).
its a 3.5mm line-input which provides 3-4V to the mic.
so it´s kind of combined mic/line-input with plugin-power.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
If they are same price, go for the h120.

Church Cardioid mics will fit (I have the exact same set-up)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »
here a pic of my H140:
optical in+output (white ones)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 02:06:58 PM »
Cool, sorry to go off topic but is that an MD case I spot there??

It looks very similar to my RH910 case (with the orange Walkman logo on the side).

;D
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
Cool, sorry to go off topic but is that an MD case I spot there??

It looks very similar to my RH910 case (with the orange Walkman logo on the side).

;D
yes, its my RH1 case ;)
I have 2 MZ-RH1s as you can see in my signature at the bottom.

here the detailed line in/out jacks on my former H120

here my H140 front view: rockbox recording screen (REP = "Recording Enhancement Pack" of "Mmmm" build with custom sized levelmeters and letters as you can see ;) ) with l+r gain set to +20dB for starting a concert recording and at the bottom you see AGC(safety) which will REDUCE gain when needed by itself and NEVER boosts gain! ;)
"AGC safety: 4.0dB" means i have +4.0 db headroom until i reach the max. gain of +24.0dB which i set as "AGC-max"=>can be found by pressing joy downwards until "AGC-max" appears...where you can set the max. possible gain of ie. +24.0dB(max. analog gain)

if i set l+r gain to +15dB =>AGC-safety(clip) would show 9dB, because I have +9dB headroom until I reach +24.0dB(AGC-max)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:27:57 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »
Thanks Arni, the pics make it so much easier to understand.

+t once again  :)

EDIT: gotta wait 12 hour lol to give your ticket...
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 02:32:32 PM »
Thanks Arni, the pics make it so much easier to understand.

+t once again  :)

EDIT: gotta wait 12 hour lol to give your ticket...

;), nevermind, I don´t care about tickets ;).
use your time with studying rockbox or with taping instead of giving me t+  ;D!

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 03:03:36 PM »
ok, thanks Arni99! Where do I find/download Rockbox? I think I'll be asking for help with Rockbox once I get my stuff.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 03:09:13 PM »
ok, thanks Arni99! Where do I find/download Rockbox? I think I'll be asking for help with Rockbox once I get my stuff.

rockbox.org site:
http://www.rockbox.org/

manual(how to install rockbox! READ IT CAREFULLY!!!):
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-h100/rockbox-build.html

latest build(June 8th 2007):
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/h120/rockbox-h120.zip

fonts:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/fonts/rockbox-fonts.zip

after installation you MAY install the REP(recording enhancement pack)..just extract the files to your Iriver´s root directory and say "YES" for overwriting files:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.scarratt/Rockbox/rockbox.zip

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:12:32 PM by Arni99 »

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »

rockbox.org site:
http://www.rockbox.org/

manual(how to install rockbox! READ IT CAREFULLY!!!):
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-h100/rockbox-build.html

latest build(June 8th 2007):
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/h120/rockbox-h120.zip

fonts:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/fonts/rockbox-fonts.zip

after installation you MAY install the REP(recording enhancement pack)..just extract the files to your Iriver´s root directory and say "YES" for overwriting files:

Thanks a ton! If I have any questions, I'll ask.

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
hey, Arni, I'm pretty happy with the "normal" builds, they do the work very good. But I want to try the REP...does it have any bugs or it works flawlessly?

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
If you put Rockbox on it, does it still function as a MP3 player too?

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »
If you put Rockbox on it, does it still function as a MP3 player too?

Yes. You can even boot up the original iriver software. You can boot up either of the two, its really handy.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline rdflash

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
all these answers have been covered many times under the "iriver team" threads  ;D

carry on, i like being refreshed  8)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »
hey, Arni, I'm pretty happy with the "normal" builds, they do the work very good. But I want to try the REP...does it have any bugs or it works flawlessly?
I always used Mmmm´s most recent REP-builds and ha NO problems at all. taped a lot since I got my H140 almost 1 year ago. ;)

Offline MadMaster

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live from Amsterdam
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »

Thanks a ton! If I have any questions, I'll ask.

As usual...  ;)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 06:49:21 AM »
The only problem with the Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719 combination is the Sony ECM-719. Don't ever use a Sony mic. The MZ-RH1 or the iHP-120/140 will make great recording when combined with an inexpensive battery box (I use Chris Church's tiny one-about $52 on E-Bay) and Sound Professionals or Church Audio omnis or cardiods costing around $120 or less. Do not use a mic that attaches directly to the recorder-get a corded one. This avoids any chance of recording noise made by the recorder. If what you are recording is fairly quiet, you may need a pre-amp instead of a battery box (or you can try battery box into mic in instead of into line in), but this is rarely a problem with rock concerts. It is very stealthy, and if you need to record longer than 94 minutes without changing discs, to my ears Hi-SP is basically indistinguishable from PCM. With Hi-SP you can record over 7 hours on 1 disc. The battery will last over 7 hours in that mode also.

I have made great recordings with my MZ-RH1. I don't care for having to use Sony's software to upload, but it's not that hard to get used to. The only thing I really dislike a lot about the MZ-RH1 is that when using line in (which is generally best when you have a battery box), the recorder automatically starts a new track when the volume drops enough. They can easily be combined and tracks put where you want them with audio editing software, however. 

I also recently picked up the iHp-120 and installed Rockbox. That shows great promise as well, but I haven't yet made a recording with it combined with a battery box (or pre-amp), so I can't report on it personally. From what I see on the internet, it will make great recordings with a pre-amp (the Church Audio ST-9100, which I have ordered, is highly recommended) and probably, in many cases, with just a battery box. I like the fact that you can upload the iHp-120 recordings by drag & drop and that it doesn't arbitrarily start new files when the volume drops. (I made one recording using just the recorder's internal pre-amp. The loud parts sounded great, but the quiet parts were fairly noisy.)
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
I also recently picked up the iHp-120 and installed Rockbox. That shows great promise as well, but I haven't yet made a recording with it combined with a battery box (or pre-amp), so I can't report on it personally. From what I see on the internet, it will make great recordings with a pre-amp (the Church Audio ST-9100, which I have ordered, is highly recommended) and probably, in many cases, with just a battery box. I like the fact that you can upload the iHp-120 recordings by drag & drop and that it doesn't arbitrarily start new files when the volume drops. (I made one recording using just the recorder's internal pre-amp. The loud parts sounded great, but the quiet parts were fairly noisy.)
grats to your gear, I´m using the same....2xRH1 + h140 rockboxed. ;)
I love both.
Yesterday I recorded the same song from cd on my home stereo with 2 RH1s...1st in PCM and 2nd in HI-SP.
Afterwards I listened to the recorded tracks not knowing and I really could NOT tell the difference ...what was PCM and what HI-SP.
Before this test I thought it must be audible, but to my ears it isn´t ;).
Using the RH1-mic-in for silent or moderate loud concerts has the advantage of not needing an external preamp ;).
SO this is the ultra-stealth gear setup.
1 RH1+bbox+HLSO(or SP-CMC-4U).
keep on taping! ;)

nameloc01

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »
The only problem with the Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719 combination is the Sony ECM-719. Don't ever use a Sony mic. The MZ-RH1 or the iHP-120/140 will make great recording when combined with an inexpensive battery box (I use Chris Church's tiny one-about $52 on E-Bay) and Sound Professionals or Church Audio omnis or cardiods costing around $120 or less. Do not use a mic that attaches directly to the recorder-get a corded one. This avoids any chance of recording noise made by the recorder. If what you are recording is fairly quiet, you may need a pre-amp instead of a battery box (or you can try battery box into mic in instead of into line in), but this is rarely a problem with rock concerts. It is very stealthy, and if you need to record longer than 94 minutes without changing discs, to my ears Hi-SP is basically indistinguishable from PCM. With Hi-SP you can record over 7 hours on 1 disc. The battery will last over 7 hours in that mode also.

I have made great recordings with my MZ-RH1. I don't care for having to use Sony's software to upload, but it's not that hard to get used to. The only thing I really dislike a lot about the MZ-RH1 is that when using line in (which is generally best when you have a battery box), the recorder automatically starts a new track when the volume drops enough. They can easily be combined and tracks put where you want them with audio editing software, however. 

hmm. never heard of that happening, is it something that can be changed with a menu setting? groups setting? something like that? neither of mine do that, either because they are not set to, or just dont, but i find it weird that the "new and improved" rh-1 would do something as dumb as that,when my older models do not.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
hmm. never heard of that happening, is it something that can be changed with a menu setting? groups setting? something like that? neither of mine do that, either because they are not set to, or just dont, but i find it weird that the "new and improved" rh-1 would do something as dumb as that,when my older models do not.

When I tape off the board it happens every now and then but when using mics it never gets quiet enough to do an autosplit.  I dont think its a feature you can turn off but merging the tracks is easy enough to do in post on the computer or right on the disc.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:24 PM »
Just an update, I ordered the ihp120 and Church Audio cardoid mics and battery box.

If I'm recording a comedian, should I use mic in or line in? (does it have this option? I haven't got it yet.)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
Just an update, I ordered the ihp120 and Church Audio cardoid mics and battery box.

If I'm recording a comedian, should I use mic in or line in? (does it have this option? I haven't got it yet.)
mic+line-in are the same on the iriver ;).
there is only 1  1/8"(3.5mm)jack.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.248 seconds with 93 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com