Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Things are going to change soon... I need help...  (Read 10076 times)

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Things are going to change soon... I need help...
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »
One cord, two adaptaplugs.  All available at Radio Shack.   Be sure to see the pics in the second to last post on Page 1 from deanlambrecht's link to make sure you get the polarity correct.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
Jeez, please exscuse my ignorance.  That one chord is all I need?

To connect your battery to your UA5?  Yep!   ;D
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
I need to have the 48V Phantom power button on when recording with the battery, correct?

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 10:54:55 PM »
No.  Always on when running mics.  No when running a board.  Battery has nothing to do with 48v phantom power.  That's assuming you run mics that run on Phantom power.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:56:28 PM by tapermark »

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:01 PM »
So I DO NEED to have the 48V on?

I guess Im confused.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »
I need to have the 48V Phantom power button on when recording with the battery, correct?

Tapermark's not entirely accurate here^.  That's entirely dependent upon your mics.  If they need phantom, turn the switch on.  If not, leave it off (and be careful not to hit said switch).

The battery you're using to power your UA5 and the phantom switch are entirely independent from each other.  Phantom power's only function is to power microphones that, a. need it, and b. can handle the voltage. 

For instance, my MBHOs produce no signal whatsoever without phantom power.  The Nak300's in my possession (they don't belong to me) have their own batteries right in them.  If I hit the phantom power switch while using them, I'll fry the mics.  And my AT831's require a much lower power supply, so they'd also fry if I used phantom on them.  (NOTE:  when I say they'll fry, I don't mean that if you accidentally hit phantom that you've fried the mics, but if you hit it and leave it on for any significant amount of time, you can wreck 'em).

Bottom line, again, phantom is independent of the battery you use to power the UA5.  It can be used to power mics that accept phantom power.  The only impact it will have on your dvd batt is to reduce its operating time IF you're using phantom power for your mics (obviously).  If it's a new, 9v dvd batt you can get as much as 5 hours operating time WITH the phantom switch on.  I've never run it that long without switching dvd batts, though.  YMMV, naturally.

Make sense?  I'm kind of tired and not sure if I'm being very clear or not...   :-\
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 11:01:06 PM »
If you are plugging in a pair of mics into the front, yes you turn on phantom power.  If you are running a soundboard>UA5 then you don't need phantom power.  In fact turning it on when plugged into a soundboard can do bad things.  Avoid it.  What mics are you running?

And Dean I'm assuming his mics need phantom.  Hopefully he'll post what mics he's running.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
SMKH8K's

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 11:20:20 PM »
then my post was correct.  Mics yes.  Board no.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »
If you are plugging in a pair of mics into the front, yes you turn on phantom power.  If you are running a soundboard>UA5 then you don't need phantom power.  In fact turning it on when plugged into a soundboard can do bad things.  Avoid it.  What mics are you running?

And Dean I'm assuming his mics need phantom.  Hopefully he'll post what mics he's running.

Yep, I just don't want to make a blanket statement that you need phantom on whenever you plug mics into the xlr inputs.  That's entirely dependent on the mics.  Since dmbprez may not always use his mics, or may switch 'em up, I sure didn't want him thinking he always had to have phantom power running.

That's all...

livin_grateful

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
Buy a V2 or V3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com