Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What would your $3000...  (Read 18632 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: What would your $3000...
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2007, 04:58:16 AM »
744                   4000
140's                 1500
Fathead IIL's        650
v2                      750
misc cables          400                   
petrol pegz2         200
shure stand          200

YIKES!  I don't ever wanna add that up again.   ::)

Will be looking for a V3 and some LD's at the end of the year.           
After that I'm done other than switching around mics every so often.
It really never ends does it?  I've come along way from the AT822>Denon DTR-80P. 
My first rig in 1993.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:03:50 AM by tapermark »

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks a lot to everyone who posted here....

.....I now have about 6 months of research to do on all of that gear. :o

But seriously, those are some sweet looking rigs.

I continue to feel like I am on the verge of a purchase...then new information always seems to come to light...

My current problem is my deck.

I want a hard drive recorder, but the search for me has narrowed down a bit.

I think the Fostex FR-2 looks nice. But from what I have heard it drains batteries quick.

Of course the 722 looks great...but I think I won't use half the functions on that deck. However, the 722 keeps on coming back to the spotlight as far as quality of physical deck and sound is concerned.

I have also been looking at the Roland R-4. But I don't do matrices and I don't know that I would get many soundboard patches.....but maybe.....

Also the Korg Mr-1 or Mr-1000 look exceptionally sweet, but I am largely ignorant of DSD and therefore I fear it....

I don't want to get into a deck that is too specialized that it may become obsolete. Like if DSD doesn't catch on and a few years from now you can get the deck worked on etc.....

Ahhh....it is just an endless sea of decisions......
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
Ahhh....it is just an endless sea of decisions......

but, and i'm sure someone wrote this, put your $$ in your mics.  the 7xxs are nice as are a lot of a>ds and recorders...but you'lll do better to forget the fancy conversion and recording capabilities for now... and just capture the sound as best you can.
db

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »
but, and i'm sure someone wrote this, put your $$ in your mics. 

bottom line for sure, get the best mics you can afford. IMHO the back end gear is secondary to the mics.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
So with a $3000 budget you are saying (roughly and hypothetically or course) what? $1500? $2000?

I have been looking at a pair of Neumann KM184's.......but as far as checking them out I have had more questions/doubts....

.....such as....assuming you must have quality playback to accurately judge the quality of your mics....

.....to listen to a recording on say....the archive....shouldn't I (to truly get the feel for the sonic picture created by the particular mics) burn the recording off and listen to it on my home stereo system as opposed to listening to it through my crappy (I suppose) computer speakers....?

Does anyone do this?

Because what if I DO really like the sound I hear from my PC, then I get them and I realize that I like the sound of them playing through my computer more than the true sound of the mics.....

.....does any of that make sense? ???
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »

I think the Fostex FR-2 looks nice. But from what I have heard it drains batteries quick.

If you're talking about the new FR-2LE, have no worries about battery life.  I think that is actually one of the deck's superior features.

Considering you can get a great sounding all-in-one pre/ad/recorder deck for between $600-1200, that leaves plenty to get some beautiful microphones. 

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
So with a $3000 budget you are saying (roughly and hypothetically or course) what? $1500? $2000?

.....such as....assuming you must have quality playback to accurately judge the quality of your mics....

.....to listen to a recording on say....the archive....shouldn't I (to truly get the feel for the sonic picture created by the particular mics) burn the recording off and listen to it on my home stereo system as opposed to listening to it through my crappy (I suppose) computer speakers....?

Does anyone do this?

Because what if I DO really like the sound I hear from my PC, then I get them and I realize that I like the sound of them playing through my computer more than the true sound of the mics.....

.....does any of that make sense? ???

To me it seems reasonable to spend 1/2 to 3/4 your budget on mics. If you listen to enough recordings you might find a mic that you consistently prefer. IMHO there is not an enormous difference between quality small diaphraghm condensers, you really can't go wrong with the recommendations here, neumann 184 or SKM stereo kit, AKG 480 series, DPA 40xx, Schoeps CMC6/MK4, MBHO, or Gefell SMS2000 or M300, just to name some of the most popular SD condensers used in these circles for taping live shows. 

As far as evaluating recordings, I would steer away from listening on cheapo PC speakers, do your listening on the best playback system possible, either decent headphones or on your home stereo.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2007, 02:32:17 PM »
used 480s, used m148, used modsbm1, used jb3.     old skool :P

actually for a long time i ran a ps2 between the 480s and the modsbm.   it made some really sweet tapes.   you could probably pull that off for less than 2k and add your preamp of choice when you get around to it (if ever).      i would have run that way for a lot longer if i didn't get the 'i have your m148 ready' email from doug about 5 years ago :)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
with a budget of $3000, I'd encourage you to stick with the biggies when it comes to your selection of mics:  AKG 480's, Neumann 184/185 or 140/150, MBHO 603's, or Microtech Geffell 200 or 300 series, at a minimum; or you can of course step it up to Schoeps mk4/ccm6; I say that DPA microphones will be out of the price range you have in mind; the balance of 1200 to 2000 you will need for the remainder of your gear; and I would echo the above statements about spending the majority of your budget on mics alone since great gear will not make average mics sound all that much better

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
some of us are modest, some of us are not.
I know a fella who carries around enough schoepps gear to pay for *both* of my vehicles.

Hmmmmm might that fella's name begin with "See" and rhyme with "ox"?  ;D My advice? Get a job in the industry and get you gear on accom. Nothing like 50-75% off new gear!  ;)
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2007, 05:36:45 PM »
Stagger...
like school on sundays.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »
used akg 460's = $800/pair
new 722 = $2200

$3000

BINGO! I like my MBHO's and all too, but the AKG 460/mod560/480>7xx is by far my fav mic combo up until this point, and Ive heard em all boys ;) I am strongly growing on to teh Schoeps as well, and would love to have an mk41/cmcx>Busman FR2-LE or the Neumann Cardioids>ACM/Busman 660/FR2-LE. I also like the Schoeps>7xx sound, but if the show is bass heavy, forget about it, you might as well not tape IMO :) Schoeps>V2>7xx is also tits.

BUT, for 3k on the nose, I suggest 483/463>7xx for sure. You are going to beed a little extra $$ to get a set of silver-clad XLR cables(150) and a bag to hold it all, and some extra 7xx lion batteries. BUT I think anyone running the 4x1/3>7xx is going to be happy for a LONG while. I got the MBHO's not because I wasnt happy with the 48x>722 sound, but because they were 300 cheaper than the last MBHO Cards/Hypers/actives/603a bodies sold for, plus mine came with silver-clad active cables as well.and the taper wa slocal and let me do a payment plan ;D but mainly becasue the MBHO handmade sound is VERY nice,a nd I figured the actives would be easier on my deteriating back, and would compliment the 722's preamps quite well because of their rather neutral/'brighter' sound. I was def right ;D

so go get a pair of 460/480's and a 702 and dont look back.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2007, 08:51:03 PM »
or any HQ mics>Busman Mod FR2-LE. I bet that thing sounds good with any pair of mics. I am unsure if Chris is doing multiple mods on it, but I know he's doing a 'vintage' mod on it that should be PERFECT with my 483's/MBHO's :) Vintage should sound very clear and in-your-face and also a touch of warmth, so basically, the best of both worlds IMO :)

You couyld buy TWO, yes TWO pairs of HQ mics, like 184's and 483's and still have $$ left over for a Busman Mod FR2-LE(24-Bit/Writes to CF Cards) or a Busman Mod 660(16-Bit/Writes to CF Card). Personally, after hearing my buddy Steve Toney's Neumann 184>Busman Mod 660 from All Good(he was about 5-6 feet directly behind my 483/MBHO Hypers>722 recordings) and I must honestly say, his recordings of his 184>Busman 660 are SMOKIN, and I am pretty sure sound better than my MBHO Hypers>722 from the sets he ran his 184>Busman 660 tapes. His lowend was better than mine, and he ran cards and I ran hypers :) If I would have maybe ran Cards, it would have been a better comp, but what Im saying is, is that Steve's 184>Busman 660 rig sounded just as good(and IMO better) than my MBHO Hypers>722 rig, which cost substantially more, at least the backend did. Thats what folks are saying about putting your $$ into your mics first. Personally, I think you will be happy with any of the above mic choices, but you ahve to find one you consistently like, because youre the one whos going to be listening to your recordings ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »
A down payment on a 744T
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:40 PM »
a HD24, 3x 8 channel Presonus preamps, and a splitter snake
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.271 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com