Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mics directly into recorder question (at943 4.7k/853/ssdsm6; r-1;r09;iriverh120  (Read 32882 times)

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Slight hi-jack here: My AT943s are (as stated by "joekar" who sold them to me) "terminated in individual 1/8 male connectors (3 wire)". Would I need a preamp for loud concerts? I've probably asked this before, but I never seem to find rest on this matter :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Slight hi-jack here: My AT943s are (as stated by "joekar" who sold them to me) "terminated in individual 1/8 male connectors (3 wire)". Would I need a preamp for loud concerts? I've probably asked this before, but I never seem to find rest on this matter :)

You already own one of my preamps I would use it all the time... It does power your mics properly and it gives you better signal to noise ratio. And it gives you a nice warm sound. Can you tape loud shows with out it YES.. but if you already own it and you can * get it in * then use it :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
I used to own one of your preamps for my 4061s some time ago, now I only have the 943s atm :'( Slowly building myself a new rig.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

I used to own one of your preamps for my 4061s some time ago, now I only have the 943s atm :'( Slowly building myself a new rig.

Well in that case you can go with out a preamp.. give me a shout when you need one and I will cut you a deal.

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

So you have 2 stereo mini, one per mic?  If I understand that right, I'd build a pair of adapters, A) one set with a 4.7 mod,  B)one set connected without and test like mad!  Loud shows-one set per adapter. Medium shows-one set per. Quiet shows-no 4.7k mod adapter required.

Solder is cheap!  Connectors less so but still not expensive!

Good Luck!
Joe

Offline Church-Audio

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.. Now since I adapted my 4.7k mod to the AT 853 mics with no problems I would assume that this will translate to the AT 853 at 2.5 volts bias supply as well. So the idea situation is to have two sets of 3 wire to 2 wire adaptors one with a 2.4k 1% MF resistor for 2.5 volts of bias and an adaptor with a 4.7k resistor for 9 volts of bias power via a battery box. This will allow the best of both worlds for customers of mine that have purchased my cardioid mics I will offer a new set of cables with a 2.4k resistor mod in it for $65.00 + return shipping. But you will need to return your mics to me so I can match the cable/fet to the capsules.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Chris,

Could there be a difference in the way you are measuring distortion in your lab, and the way this affects the mics under concert conditions?

The reason I ask is that I have made hundreds of recordings since Nov '02 (and heard other tapers efforts too) with SP-CMC2s (AT831 cardioids), that are not distorted to my ears, unless the PA is also distorting.

I have tested them at the loudest venues London has to offer (The Borderline, and The Underworld, which can be painful in seconds without earplugs), and made killer recordings.

I'm not having a go, just trying to further my knowledge.

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

Could there be a difference in the way you are measuring distortion in your lab, and the way this affects the mics under concert conditions?

The reason I ask is that I have made hundreds of recordings since Nov '02 (and heard other tapers efforts too) with SP-CMC2s (AT831 cardioids), that are not distorted to my ears, unless the PA is also distorting.

I have tested them at the loudest venues London has to offer (The Borderline, and The Underworld, which can be painful in seconds without earplugs), and made killer recordings.

I'm not having a go, just trying to further my knowledge.

Humbug

What I do is measure distortion at 1k. Now when I measure my mic capsules unmodified they have a distortion of 7% at 114db at 1k when I measure AT 853 Its the same after my 4.7k mod both mics are 0.5% distortion. When I measure the 900 series mics the distortion is 0.5% with out any mods what so ever.. I have measured lots of these mics over 10 pairs that's 20 mics and they were all the same. Now its possible you could be subjecting the mics to a lower battery voltage and a much higher spl say 122 db but your ears would be bleeding before that happens.

I think its possible ( just a theory ) some of these mics have the same fet as the 853 or there is some kind of defect in the capsules of these mics * maybe * that is causing the distortion on some of the 900 series mics. I dont know but my tests show they are at least performing as well as my modified mics perform.

When you put my mod on a pair of mics that dont need it your actually degrading the mics signal to noise ratio unnessisarily. I am not saying that under certain applications these mics will not distort. But there are a lot of variables. My testing is not one of them. Its a pretty standard test I do.

I can measure the same mics over and over again and get exactly the same results. I would like to run a test on a pair of mics that is "known" to distort if someone has a pair they would like to send me. But to be honest guys its impossible to rule out a lot of variables because each concert is different.

For example some distortion is caused by wind. The air movement a big PA system is capable of can easily bottom out a diaphragm to its back plate and cause distortion how many of you use windscreens * if you look at the 900 series mics you can see the diaphragm quite well that tells me there is not enough wind protection built into the mics and windscreens are 100% necessary.

Also distortion does change with frequency its possible the 900 series are very stable at 1k but not so much at 100hz and below.. this is not very desirable because good microphones should be pretty linear at low and high frequencies as far as distortion is concerned, and if this mic is subject to distortion at low frequencies it might be because the back chamber of the microphone has a tuning issue.

I dont know, all I know is that the mics I tested in the same exact method I test all my mics at were operating at the same distortion point at my other mics after my mod. So I feel its not really necessary. But that being said I would love to get some samples of the 900 series mics overloading so I can hear it and I would like to get a few pairs of mics to test again.

You also have to remember these mics were NEVER designed for high spl at low frequency.. They are after all lapel mics.. So it would seem its possible the design engineers at AT did not test for ultra low frequency distortion. And it would make sense not to test for it because lets face it this mic was not designed for recording loud sources. As most lapel mics are not. I really dont know what the issue is but I will try and figure it out for the benefit of my fellow T.S members :)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Chris,

I'm not disputing that AT853s distort - I've heard this at a Velvet Revolver gig, which is when I decided to get them modded to 3-wire, after which they behaved perfectly.

I'm just questioning whether you can hear the distortion in AT831 mics - I've not been able to.

Maybe I'll upload a track recorded at ear splitting volumes used with them?  There's an mp3 sample on  this Dime show, which I can upload in better quality:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=176075   

Cheers,

H
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

I'm not disputing that AT853s distort - I've heard this at a Velvet Revolver gig, which is when I decided to get them modded to 3-wire, after which they behaved perfectly.

I'm just questioning whether you can hear the distortion in AT831 mics - I've not been able to.

Maybe I'll upload a track recorded at ear splitting volumes used with them?  There's an mp3 sample on  this Dime show, which I can upload in better quality:

Cheers,

H

I am pretty sure that there was no distortion issue with the 831 but I have only measured one pair and it was a long time ago. Not to many people use that mic. So I dont remember if that mic distorted or not. I would have to measure it again anyone got a pair to send me> :)

Alchemy

Chris,

Cheers,

H

I am pretty sure that there was no distortion issue with the 831 but I have only measured one pair and it was a long time ago. Not to many people use that mic. So I dont remember if that mic distorted or not. I would have to measure it again anyone got a pair to send me> :)

I've got a pair in the Yard Sale for sale.  :P

I've been watching this topic unfold though...and admit that I purchased the 831s based on Humbug's suggestions and posts and never had any problems with them distorting on me either. I don't sit here though with a machine and test them. I just tape shows and use my ears.

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

Cheers,

H

I've got a pair in the Yard Sale for sale.  :P

I've been watching this topic unfold though...and admit that I purchased the 831s based on Humbug's suggestions and posts and never had any problems with them distorting on me either. I don't sit here though with a machine and test them. I just tape shows and use my ears.

Hey whats that supposed to mean? lol.. If it was not for me sitting hear using my "machine" most of you would still be using 12 volt battery boxes thinking that somehow that extra 3 volts was going to eliminate distortion.. ;D.. Lets face it someone had to finally measure the distortion and come up with a real solution that eliminated it and that's what I DID.. Now you fuckers better be grateful  :P
The problem with just using your ears is this you dont know what the actual spl level is when your recording a concert so you go to one concert and say heck this mic does not distort.. GREAT! then you go to another concert and all of a sudden your mics are distorting, meanwhile there was a sound pressure difference of 10db between the two concerts.. You must have some method of measuring distortion in order to be able to sell a product. Your statement seems to be a jab at me for taking the time to help you guys out.. Or did I read that wrong?
 ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:12:42 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
Chris, I don't think that comment about using ears vs. measurement was any kind of dig at you.  Rather, he was saying that he never heard distortion but was acknowledging he didn't know what the highest SPLs he'd subjected them to was.

That said, while I appreciate all the contributions you've made to this board with your knowledge I also think you might be well served to be a little more careful and consistent with what you say.  For instance within this very thread you say, with regards to the R09 plug in power:

The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.
(context:  5 volts which is plenty for 4.7k modded mics with no battery box)

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.

So which is it?  You also say that the iRiver does not supply enough voltage, but in another thread you say you measured its output at 4V, more than the Edirol ???

Edit: OK, to be fair you don't directly say you measured it, but you do say it outputs 4V:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91267.msg1218556.html#msg1218556

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:32:26 AM by Will_S »

Offline Church-Audio

Chris, I don't think that comment about using ears vs. measurement was any kind of dig at you.  Rather, he was saying that he never heard distortion but was acknowledging he didn't know what the highest SPLs he'd subjected them to was.

That said, while I appreciate all the contributions you've made to this board with your knowledge I also think you might be well served to be a little more careful and consistent with what you say.  For instance within this very thread you say, with regards to the R09 plug in power:

The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.
(context:  5 volts which is plenty for 4.7k modded mics with no battery box)

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.

So which is it?  You also say that the iRiver does not supply enough voltage, but in another thread you say you measured its output at 4V, more than the Edirol ???

Well That's back when I thought that the edirol put out 5 volts... I know now that it does not I made a mistake.... I also know that using my mics or any mics like mine including in this group the 853 mics with out using a 2.4k resistor in place of my 4.7k yields a very high distortion that might not be a problem for most things.. But its much better to use the 2.4k resistor. I make mistakes I am not perfect. I dont just throw information out there this was based on a good friend of mine that has a r09 and does not use a preamp all the time he never has distortion issues but when I measured his r-09 with my mics with my test the distortion at 114db was almost 15% NOT Acceptable for him it might not have been a problem because he does not go to loud concerts. So he never had an issue with distortion. So when I found out that this was an issue * during my r-09 mic mod * project I published my results here. Nobody is perfect I try to be exact with my tests but in the end I am just like anyone else I make mistakes. BTW thank you for pointing that out I am going to post an update to that thread. EDIT I guess I already did post an update in this thread about it :)

Chris

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:39:28 AM by Church-Audio »

Alchemy

Chris, wow...I wasn't taking a jab at you at all.  :o All I was saying is that I don't have the equipment to test these mics (ie. a distortion analyzer). You do, I don't. So all I can do is test them in the field. That's all I'm trying to say and you are 100% correct when you say the same mics can do different things at different shows.

Peace,
Dan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com