Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 134204 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2023, 02:42:24 PM »
Do'h! Yes. 3 o'clock makes sense for line.

Okay awesome, thanks!!
Microphones: AKG 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14c
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Dan33185

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #256 on: June 14, 2024, 01:14:52 AM »
I just bought this machine, and after reading through some of these threads, I'm concerned. It seems like it has a lot of issues with reliability? I am hoping to use this to record a local artist in a studio type setting, as well as using it for shows outside of that. For recording in the studio setting, I am planning on running a vocal mic directly to XLR 1, an acoustic guitar directly to XLR 2, and external mics in XLR 3/4 pointed at her guitar. My main question is, will I need external power for these, or can I record them as is with only the cables? Also, it looks like SD cards are finicky with this machine, what is recommended for a 32 GB card that is reliable? Also, it looks like powering this unit is also very specific...I bought this power bank to use with it, is it adequate? Is this also able to be powered with a wall plug in (using one of those USB blocks that are used to charge cell phones)?

Sorry, lots of questions :-[
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 01:26:58 AM by Dan33185 »
Tascam DR-60D || Tascam DR-70D || LyxPro SDPC-2's

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #257 on: June 14, 2024, 09:12:08 AM »
I just bought this machine, and after reading through some of these threads, I'm concerned. It seems like it has a lot of issues with reliability? I am hoping to use this to record a local artist in a studio type setting, as well as using it for shows outside of that. For recording in the studio setting, I am planning on running a vocal mic directly to XLR 1, an acoustic guitar directly to XLR 2, and external mics in XLR 3/4 pointed at her guitar. My main question is, will I need external power for these, or can I record them as is with only the cables? Also, it looks like SD cards are finicky with this machine, what is recommended for a 32 GB card that is reliable? Also, it looks like powering this unit is also very specific...I bought this power bank to use with it, is it adequate? Is this also able to be powered with a wall plug in (using one of those USB blocks that are used to charge cell phones)?

I've never had an issue with mine. I use a Sandisk card that's not on the approved list, and it works fine. Any 5v power bank will work. The 25800mAh unit you have will power it forever, even using phantom.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #258 on: June 14, 2024, 11:51:09 AM »

I've never had an issue with mine. I use a Sandisk card that's not on the approved list, and it works fine. Any 5v power bank will work. The 25800mAh unit you have will power it forever, even using phantom.

Cool, thanks for the response, helps me feel better about it.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2024, 01:15:34 PM »
Mine was rock solid. I moved on to an F8n eight channel.
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #260 on: June 14, 2024, 04:11:15 PM »
Check to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. My dr70d has been stable using the latest firmware. I also used SD cards on and off the approved list successfully. Test in your living room a bunch to be sure, but it doesn't hurt to just get one that's on the list. If you have one laying around, try it.

You can use any portable cell charger battery to provide power via usb, or any plug-in usb wall wart. I liked my dr70d.
Line Audio CM4 (4) / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 (2) / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / F2 (2) / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #261 on: June 14, 2024, 09:30:55 PM »
With current firmware and an approved 128 card, I've had zero errors in years.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #262 on: June 15, 2024, 12:33:14 AM »
Check to make sure you have the latest firmware installed. My dr70d has been stable using the latest firmware. I also used SD cards on and off the approved list successfully. Test in your living room a bunch to be sure, but it doesn't hurt to just get one that's on the list. If you have one laying around, try it.

You can use any portable cell charger battery to provide power via usb, or any plug-in usb wall wart. I liked my dr70d.

I bought 2 of the SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO cards, which from what I could understand were on the approved list, and they were on the cheaper end, so worked out well. I'll definitely be testing it at home before I take it out for use at shows or anything.

Offline morst

« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2024, 02:44:23 PM »
What the heck, new firmware 1.16 came out in August 2023 and allows some Chinese language characters on the display?!

ALSO - Newly updated LIST OF APPROVED MEDIA released 27-Mar-24!
https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-70d/download
LOL tascam now makes a 128 card that sells for ~$170!!

Note that of the 128 cards listed, only the Lexar and Tascam models don't lose performance when used repeatedly!
*1: The performace of the media may be degraded significantly if it will be used repeatedly. ERASE FORMAT
by DR-70D is recommended before use.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 02:52:56 PM by morst »

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2024, 02:27:42 AM »
What the heck, new firmware 1.16 came out in August 2023 and allows some Chinese language characters on the display?!

ALSO - Newly updated LIST OF APPROVED MEDIA released 27-Mar-24!
https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

Very impressed that Tascam is still showing love for this old recorder!

But it's high time Tascam released new hardware.

Where is a Tascam DR60Dmk3? Tascam DR70Dmk2? DR701Dmk2? DR680mk3? HD-P2mk2? HS-P82mk2? Or similar?

It's crazy how far behind Tascam has fallen behind the Zoom F Series and Sound Devices MixPres.

Offline morst

« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2024, 06:11:01 PM »
Very impressed that Tascam is still showing love for this old recorder!
On the one hand, me too, on the other hand, Tascam still sells PARTS and service manuals for their DAT machines!
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com