Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD 7xx series + other boxes  (Read 2515 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
SD 7xx series + other boxes
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:58:35 AM »
So, as someone who does not own a 722/744, this is straight up question.  Please do not take offense, as none is meant by it.

I thought the 7xx series was designed for the purpose of being a true all-in-one box.  By this I mean superior grade pre-amps and ADCs, not to mention all the bells and whistles (e.g. kick-ass meters etc.).  I could not come up with any other reason why someone would pay $2200 for a recorder.

If that is true, why in the world are people running other boxes (V2/3, Sax, etc.) in front of them?  Does the sound improve that much with a pre-amp?  Especially with something like a Grace box, the transparency certainly isn't adding anything.  If so, why would someone not spend HALF the money for something like a Marantz?  As an R4 owner, I know why I spent $1100...mostly for a 4-channel, light weight, HD recorder, but I can't see spending TWICE that for something with 2 less channels, and behind the same boxes.

I obviously have no idea, since I don't own one, but what am I missing here?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:12:56 AM by balou2 »
Socks are overrated.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: SD 7xx series + other boxes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
I've been playing around wth the 722 as an all in one box, and I'm liking it as that.
The Grace pres are better, no doubt, but the 722 pres are absolutely fine in there own right, just diff. sounding.
I like having the 722 all-in-one box, for lower profile gigs, where a stand and gear bag aren't desireable. So its worth having the functional pres in the deck.
If you've ever seen or held a 7xx, you'd appreciate its build quality. It rivals the Grace units for stoutness.

i owned the V2 before I bought the 722. i had enough $ to buy the 722 without having to sell the v2. i really like the mod460/V2 sound. i haven't really done many runs using just the 722 but I plan on doing so soon. its hard to pass on a combo that sounds so great to my ears.

i definately bought the 722 with the intent of reducing my rig to a single box, and perhaps at some point I may gove up the V2 but its nice to have the option if I want to run it.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 06:54:57 PM »
The 7xx units sound great on their own.

In my case, I already owned the EAA-PSP2. I love the sound of the PSP2 and, because they'll never be made again, will probably never part with it.

Also, I like to run the PSP2 for phantom power. Seems to save a little juice in the 7xx so that I can run with all of the lights on for the duration of the show if I choose.

And, like Moke said, these units are built really well and SD has been VERY helpful everytime I have contacted them with a question.

-b

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 07:00:06 PM »
I've been playing around wth the 722 as an all in one box, and I'm liking it as that.
The Grace pres are better, no doubt, but the 722 pres are absolutely fine in there own right, just diff. sounding.
I like having the 722 all-in-one box, for lower profile gigs, where a stand and gear bag aren't desireable. So its worth having the functional pres in the deck.
If you've ever seen or held a 7xx, you'd appreciate its build quality. It rivals the Grace units for stoutness.

i owned the V2 before I bought the 722. i had enough $ to buy the 722 without having to sell the v2. i really like the mod460/V2 sound. i haven't really done many runs using just the 722 but I plan on doing so soon. its hard to pass on a combo that sounds so great to my ears.

i definately bought the 722 with the intent of reducing my rig to a single box, and perhaps at some point I may gove up the V2 but its nice to have the option if I want to run it.

wanna sell me that v2 8)

i agree w/ what everyone else said, personally for me, i wanted to jump into 24-bit, and i was getting a bit tired of the flat bass that the 480>v3 produces, thats why i bought a modsbm1, well, its limited to 16-bit, so i bought a 722 w/ the intent of running a pre in front simply because i love the transparency of the grace pres, and the PHAT bass and tight sound of the 722's AD :)

i am gonna run the 722 as an all-in-one next sunday, i'll letcha know what i think ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:12:09 PM »
I bought the 722 at the time because it was the most durable product with the best customer support. SD really listens to their customer base, and the box itself is bombproof.. Reviews of the 722 were glowing too, so the purchase was, for me, a no brainer. I never used it much as a stand alone, didnt care for the stock sound, so yes, in that regard, the 722 was not the economical route, as it was nothing but a bit-bucket.  If you use your own pres and adcs, may as well go for a cheaper unit. In hindsight, I should have.

So, as someone who does not own a 722/744, this is straight up question.  Please do not take offense, as none is meant by it.

I thought the 7xx series was designed for the purpose of being a true all-in-one box.  By this I mean superior grade pre-amps and ADCs, not to mention all the bells and whistles (e.g. kick-ass meters etc.).  I could not come up with any other reason why someone would pay $2200 for a recorder.

If that is true, why in the world are people running other boxes (V2/3, Sax, etc.) in front of them?  Does the sound improve that much with a pre-amp?  Especially with something like a Grace box, the transparency certainly isn't adding anything.  If so, why would someone not spend HALF the money for something like a Marantz?  As an R4 owner, I know why I spent $1100...mostly for a 4-channel, light weight, HD recorder, but I can't see spending TWICE that for something with 2 less channels, and behind the same boxes.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 07:14:06 PM by Teddy »

Online fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:05:10 PM »

As an R4 owner, I know why I spent $1100...mostly for a 4-channel, light weight, HD recorder, but I can't see spending TWICE that for something with 2 less channels, and behind the same boxes.

I think it's a great question. I've been asking myself the same thing lately. I want to go 4 channel at some point. I can do that with an R4 AND put some money back in the bank or get the 744 and TAKE money out of the bank. I do love the 722 though, have no complaints, and  prefer it's looks over the R4. The 722 is perfect for stealthing and sounds great all in one. I need to get my hands on a R4 for a show or two I guess.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com