Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Best All-purpose Closed-back Headphones?

<< < (3/3)

robgronotte:
I'm looking for some new headphones after my previous ones crapped out.  Would like over the ear headphones with bluetooth wireless capability but also with the option of using a cable.  (My last pair would start playing a fraction of a second after playing something on my computer when using bluetooth - no big deal for regular listening, but a problem for fine editing of music files).

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  I would like as good sound as possible, but I don't really need any extra features like EQ or noise cancelling.  Those things are fine but I wouldn't want to pay more for them as I'm unlikely to use them.

I hadn't even heard of the difference between open back and closed back headphones before this thread.  I guess I want closed back since I don't want others to hear things coming from my headset.

mccordo:

--- Quote from: robgronotte on March 30, 2024, 05:52:43 AM ---I'm looking for some new headphones after my previous ones crapped out.  Would like over the ear headphones with bluetooth wireless capability but also with the option of using a cable.  (My last pair would start playing a fraction of a second after playing something on my computer when using bluetooth - no big deal for regular listening, but a problem for fine editing of music files).

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  I would like as good sound as possible, but I don't really need any extra features like EQ or noise cancelling.  Those things are fine but I wouldn't want to pay more for them as I'm unlikely to use them.

I hadn't even heard of the difference between open back and closed back headphones before this thread.  I guess I want closed back since I don't want others to hear things coming from my headset.

--- End quote ---

About 7 years ago I got a set of Audio-Technica ATH M50x on Amazon that came as a package with the BAL M50x Bluetooth Adapter. They can be used with the included cables for 3.5mm and standard headphone jack or plug the BT adapter into the plug for the cable and you’re good to go there too. Unfortunately that package is listed as currently unavailable on Amazon, but you may be able to find the BT adapter separately and you’ll have a great set of headphones that you can use wired or wireless.

robgronotte:

--- Quote from: mccordo on March 30, 2024, 01:27:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: robgronotte on March 30, 2024, 05:52:43 AM ---I'm looking for some new headphones after my previous ones crapped out.  Would like over the ear headphones with bluetooth wireless capability but also with the option of using a cable.  (My last pair would start playing a fraction of a second after playing something on my computer when using bluetooth - no big deal for regular listening, but a problem for fine editing of music files).

--- End quote ---

About 7 years ago I got a set of Audio-Technica ATH M50x on Amazon that came as a package with the BAL M50x Bluetooth Adapter. They can be used with the included cables for 3.5mm and standard headphone jack or plug the BT adapter into the plug for the cable and you’re good to go there too. Unfortunately that package is listed as currently unavailable on Amazon, but you may be able to find the BT adapter separately and you’ll have a great set of headphones that you can use wired or wireless.

--- End quote ---

I just found the "Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 Wireless Over-Ear Headphones", which appears to be the same thing in wireless, but I can't tell if it also has a wired connection or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50xBT2-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B09BYFHL25/?asc_source=verso&asc_campaign=5b8ff23f828b792d4e4b50f0%7C2AhsktH8969mRUtJrTtmSS&asc_refurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wired.com%2Fgallery%2Fbest-wireless-headphones%2F&ascsubtag=5b8ff23f828b792d4e4b50f0&tag=w050b-20

robgronotte:
Well, the Amazon listing didn't say anything about a wired option, but I've now read several reviews that say it does have that, and comes with the cable as well.  One review even said that the Bluetooth version sounds a little better than the original set.

Looks like I will probably try this one.

mccordo:
You can still buy the ATH M50X with the standard cables, but no Bluetooth. An Amazon search shows they sell the Bluetooth adapter separately now. There’s an official AT version that only comes in white; black is available from another brand that is made to fit.

AT: https://a.co/d/5mkGYrn

East Brooklyn Labs: https://a.co/d/3mxJr2v

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version