Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I must be the biggest cables noob ever  (Read 3735 times)

Offline klt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I must be the biggest cables noob ever
« on: September 02, 2005, 09:26:23 PM »
Within a week I should have a Jukebox 3, which will be used for patching.  I'm trying to prepare for what I'll need, I checked out both sbd > njb3 topics and didn't gain much.  A lot of the time I'll be patching off of mic setups.  So basically I am trying to figure out everything I should be carrying to make sure I can patch in.  I'd also perfer to keep it digital whenever possible.

KLT

Ray76

Re: I must be the biggest cables noob ever
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 09:40:04 PM »
Within a week I should have a Jukebox 3, which will be used for patching.  I'm trying to prepare for what I'll need, I checked out both sbd > njb3 topics and didn't gain much.  A lot of the time I'll be patching off of mic setups.  So basically I am trying to figure out everything I should be carrying to make sure I can patch in.  I'd also perfer to keep it digital whenever possible.

KLT

Dude..look two posts below you. ...i mean cmon guy..the subject header below you is "patching cables for the jb3" Read fella, read....

Read...search...lurk...post..then read some more....then read some more..and take it from me. i got flamed when i first got here for asking questions i couldve found answers to myself.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:42:59 PM by BigRay »

Ray76

Ray76

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 07:06:44 AM »
That too.

;D

Offline klt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 03:38:28 PM »
Blah, I do not understand anything at all about cables, I'll just write some stuff down and go to radio shack and see what happens then...

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 06:31:48 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47298.0 pretty complete list of cables.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 07:48:40 PM »
I believe what he meant to say was welcome aboard, +t for being here.

there will be some answers found here;
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=16338.0

lol.   :lol:
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 10:23:26 AM »
i'm with you bud, sometimes unless you understand terms the threads can be more confussing then helpful

here are some cables that could help you patch
dual rca > 1/8
dual 1/4 > 1/8
dual xlr (not sure if its female or male--think male) > 1/8
T link optical > mini optical

many people just get 1 cable then different adapters to make all the different connections
myself however find it easier and have the mental belief that not using adaptors will give you better connections and less chance for error

welcome aboard :)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline klt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm starting to get somewhere I believe.

I'd probably be using the internal ADC, unless I hear that it's total junk or I cannot record digitally that way.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 06:48:31 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm starting to get somewhere I believe.

I'd probably be using the internal ADC, unless I hear that it's total junk or I cannot record digitally that way.

From my experience the JB3's A->D sucks ass. I mean it's horrible. I think it would be fine for recording a lecture but otherwise it's useless. That being said, I can still listen to recordings I've made going line in, but there is a huge difference (to me) going optical in.

Make sure you pick up a nice optical cable (Toslink > Mini) so if you get the chance to patch via someone's optical out, you can.

Also, don't skimp on cables. The crappy Radio Shack cables aren't worth it. You don't need to spend mega bucks, just get something a bit more durable.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 07:06:31 PM »
From my experience the JB3's A->D sucks ass. I mean it's horrible. I think it would be fine for recording a lecture but otherwise it's useless.

On the flip side, lots of folks like the JB3's ADC just fine when run line-in.  I seeded a D100 v. JB3 line-in / ADC comp a while back.  Fatah - did you give this blind comp a listen?  Curious your thoughts if you did.  At any rate, KLT, maybe someone will re-seed if you're interested.  I cannot re-host at this time as I'm still waiting for broadband to come alive at the new house.  If you're just getting started, try the JB3s ADC - if you don't like it, you can always pick up an external ADC down the road.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline klt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks Brian, if I can't trust your advice, who's can I?  ???

BTW, I actually did read that comparison thread last week...I don't really need to listen to it myself I don't think.  I'll try the line-in once or twice and see how things turn out :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com