Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Azimuth adjustment (nakamichi) vs. play trim (Yamaha, NAD)?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Azimuth adjustment (nakamichi) vs. play trim (Yamaha, NAD)?
« on: January 21, 2007, 08:25:39 PM »
Hi all,

I have a huge backlog of live recordings from the old tape days, ca 1988-1996. They were mostly recorded with my old Sony D3.
I'm looking at eventually transferring to WAV, but I'm not sure my current tape deck, Yamaha KX-W900U, is up to it.

I've been reading a lot on Nakamichi's playback azimuth adjustment, and know that some models feature this knob, and the Dragon even does this automatically. There are also a few other rare brands that have this knob (Tandberg, Revox). I'm aware that I could use a screwdriver for adjustment of most decks, but I don't trust myself enough to go that way.

But I've also gotten recommendations to pick up any Yamaha or NAD deck with the "play trim" knob. This is supposed to extend the range and adjust the treble straight at playback, matching the sound of high-end Naks. My current deck doesn't have play trim, but many others do, and the good thing is that they can be picked up for less than $100 on ebay.

Other threads on this subject:
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=102150
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tape&n=6921
http://www.vintagecassette.com/search.jsp (search for "playtrim" without space)

For those of you who tried the play trim, would it suffice with a good Yamaha or NAD to give my tapes a decent playback? Or would a Nak make a huge difference?

Thanks,

Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: Azimuth adjustment (nakamichi) vs. play trim (Yamaha, NAD)?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:38 AM »
I only have experience with the Dragon.....I think one advantage with its auto azimuth control is that after you load a tape and the machine finds the correct azimuth, it locks into a closed-loop feedback system that tracks and adjusts the azimuth throughout the whole tape, as it is being played.  It actively seeks the best alignment, and adjusts the head from tape start to tape end.  At least, that's what I thought mine used to do.  Still listen to my cassette masters from time to time......man, that thing made great tapes.   :)
Sold it back to the guy I bought it from when it needed to go to the shop for some work.....sure glad I know where to find it again.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com