Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denon DP-DJ151  (Read 2676 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Denon DP-DJ151
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »
I noticed this turntable had a digital, phono, and line out.  Has anyone tried this turntable?  I think it would be fantastic for converting old LP's to digital for car use.  But more important how does it sound? 

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DENDPDJ151
mics & cameras

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Denon DP-DJ151
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
Never heard it, but I'm sure there are plenty of compromises being made.

If you're going to go that route, I'd pick a nice deck up off of agon, run your vinyl through a nice phono section and DAC then sell the gear back to agon when you're done (if the vinyl bug doesn't bite you).
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:49:53 PM »
Oh the vinyl bug has bitten to the tune of about 750 lps, except so has my rent, car insurance, car payment, etc.. So my options  in terms of cash were limited.  My phono pre blows hard right now.  I know i'm looking at around $500 for even a P1 and an OK phono pre.  So I was looking into other options.

Right now my turntable is an old Dual 1257 which is starting to be tempermental. 

There are really no reviews on this thing, which leads me to believe it was crap.  The digi out though is cool as hell. 
mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:59:59 AM »
Honestly for the money you can't beat an old Thorens & a Cambridge Audio phono pre. I would even go for one of the old Denon TT's even thought they were direct drive. In the very least for the money it is hard to beat the Cambridge pre, I replaced mine with a Phonomena & while there was an improvement for sure it wasn't six times better!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1193617197
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 09:05:34 AM »
I suspect you would be disappointed with the sound.  As a taper, you probably have an A/D converter that's far better than what Denon is putting in this thing.  You could just use the analog out, but it's not likely to have a very good phono stage in the first place.  After all, they had to cut corners to equip it with an A/D converter while keeping costs down.

Look into a Rega / Dynavector 10x4 / Creek combination.  The 'table and phono pre you could buy used, but obviously a used cartridge is not a good idea.  I can vouch for Rega and Creek, but I've only read about the Dyna which seems to be highly praised.  I wouldn't recommend a Rega cartridge, even though they mount easily to their tonearms with no hassle.

Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »
Honestly for the money you can't beat an old Thorens & a Cambridge Audio phono pre. I would even go for one of the old Denon TT's even thought they were direct drive. In the very least for the money it is hard to beat the Cambridge pre, I replaced mine with a Phonomena & while there was an improvement for sure it wasn't six times better!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preaphon&1193617197

I have an older Denon TT, and it is belt drive.
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.182 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com