Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wanting to purchase camcorder for taping concerts  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Hot-Cross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Wanting to purchase camcorder for taping concerts
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 02:01:15 AM »
Ah, ok, well, the thing is, since the onboard mics aren't too great for the GS300, I would need an external mic.  Could anyone recommend me a mic that is compatible with this camcorder?  Also, how much would it cost me for a mic with pretty good sound, no worse than the sound quality of those youtube videos i posted in my previous post?

Offline Hot-Cross

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 12:33:10 PM »
Ok, so I think I might go with the Panasonic Pv-GS180, which I can get from here:

http://www.zoommania.com/descript.asp?prodid=PVGS180

And I will get the Sony ecm-msd1 external microphone, found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMMSD1-Camcorder-Microphone-DCRVX2100/dp/B00008ZGSP

I know someone who recorded a CKY concert in Reading, Pennsylvania in 2005 using a JVC gr-df550u along with this external mic, and his audio and video came out great.  Or does someone thing I should just get the GS300 and this external mic?

This will probably be my last question concerning this, so thanks for the help!

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:05 AM »
This camcorder puts out nice video as well as good sound, and the newest version is right around $300.  I am assuming that the same mic technology has been used in the current version.

It's best not to assume ~ you gotta read the specs very carefully.  If a particular function doesn't seem to be very popular, the manufacturers will often drop it from the latest model in an attempt to save a few bucks.  Keep in mind, shooting concert vids is not what videocams are typically used for, and shooting this kind of video presents some somewhat unique challenges, so finding a cam that's up to the task can be kind of tricky - especially if you're on a tight budget.

Regarding Pannys... I have a Panny 3-chip PV-GS120 (obviously - an older model Panny).  The onboard mic handles concert audio surprisingly well and it can shoot some absolutely beautiful video.  HOWEVER, it doesn't have exposure adjustment.  It's pretty good about handling exposure, but there are some situations when it just doesn't handle it well (the further away from the stage - the worse it gets).

So...I'd make sure that whatever you're getting has manual exposure adjustment - because of the stage lighting, it's critical for shooting nice concert vids.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Hot-Cross

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 12:33:56 AM »
So I won a bid on ebay for a JVC gr-df550u for $123 that has only been used about 3 times.  I'll be getting the Sony ecm-msd1 external microphone as well, this is the same combination that was used to shoot the CKY Reading 05 concert.  O am pretty sure I will be happy with it...it does well with low-lighting.

Offline shaggy28

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
hey i just saw this thread. But i have a gs300 and i really don't mind the audio. It's not GREAT but i've been more than please with some of the stuff that came out in clubs. Bigger venues it's always more of a hassle but the cam itself is great. I actually filmed the whole protest the hero gig with the cam (same one you posted links to before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRecbw91XM (think this one has a mixed audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSd1Gs7SA9k  (this should be just cam)

I've never plugged into the cam i always use either R09 or minidisk but i've been meaning to try it out.

Offline Hot-Cross

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
Hey man, do you trade out the shows you tape?  I'd love to get that Protest the Hero gig from you.

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:37 PM »
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I got a Panasonic PV-GS90 and it is fantastic at recording concerts.  It does not have a mic input (Like most models you can buy in a store unfortunately) but it handles the loudness really well.  Also it has a condenser built in mic, and zoom mic function.  I taped a few concerts with it, and it
sounds very good for a built in mic.  No distortion, and with the zoom mic function you can cancel out a lot of crowd noise.  The only problems are the frame rate, which at highest picture quality is only 20 fps, and the fact that older Panasonic batteries do not work on it.  I am still an amateur at recording concerts (I have been doing video for a month) but overall, I am very glad that this camcorder did so well.  You can see some songs I recorded here:

http://www.youtube.com/IndustrialLive
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:46:48 PM by Industrial »
Audio: Audio Reality Homemade Binaurals > MZ-R70
Video: Panasonic PV-GS90

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
I got a GS120 back before the 300 series came out and have had mixed but mostly good experiences with it.

Pros:
Good picture and color under well-lit stage conditions
Audio from the built in mics has always sounded good
Small size makes it easy to carry & set up

Cons:
Steadyshot function does not work in low light conditions (including many club shows), so unless you have a tripod you will end up with a very shaky picture.
Can't handle strobe lights well without llosing focus
No real 16:9 mode, just a faux-widescreen "Cinema" setting

I heard they fixed the Steadyshot function by making it optical instead of digital and added true 16:9 to the newer models, so most of my cons probably wouldn't even apply to those.   I paid about $500 for mine a few years ago so if the 300 series can be bought for $300 I would recommend getting one.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 06:07:56 AM »
Can't handle strobe lights well without losing focus
I'd go with manual focus in these situations.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Elvis Hitler

• Taperssection Member
    • Video & Audio List
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 07:46:05 AM »
Regarding Pannys... I have a Panny 3-chip PV-GS120 (obviously - an older model Panny).  The onboard mic handles concert audio surprisingly well and it can shoot some absolutely beautiful video.  HOWEVER, it doesn't have exposure adjustment.  It's pretty good about handling exposure, but there are some situations when it just doesn't handle it well (the further away from the stage - the worse it gets).

So...I'd make sure that whatever you're getting has manual exposure adjustment - because of the stage lighting, it's critical for shooting nice concert vids.

I've found that the auto exposure on the 120's actually seems to work much better than the Sonys I've used (which always need to be adjusted down to avoid that grainy picture).  I tried the "spotlight" setting on the 120 but it's usually too dark, so I just leave everything on auto (though you're right that manual focus should probably be used to avoid the strobe problems).

My main cams are the Sony VX2100 and FX1, but I'll often use my GS120 for a stationary full stage shot or for a "drummer cam" and the picture quality is usually good enough to edit together with the footage from the two higher end cameras.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com