Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Digital SLR Recommendation?  (Read 10658 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Digital SLR Recommendation?
« on: February 16, 2006, 01:53:26 PM »
I am blowıng through film like Trey in a snowstorm and I am wondering if any of you had digital SLR recommendations.  I realize that this topic was addressed some time ago, but I am wondering if anything has changed since then.  I am lookıng at spending under 1000 dollars.  Canon or Nikon is my biggest question.  I also value something easy to use, but with maximum flexibility.  I just do not feel like cycling through 100 menu options to do something simple.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Digital SLR Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »
i've owned 3 canon digital xlrs (digital rebel, 10d and now 20d).  i think canon's sensor and processing chips are superior to nikon.  however, the lens that nikon bundles with their consumer dslr's is excellent.  the 18-55 lens that comes with base canon packages is okay, but nothing great.  the 17-85 step-up lens is supposedly a bit better optically.  the entire canon lens line, however, is superior in its breadth and quality.  I would definitely go with canon.  are you willing to buy used?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »
I am such a novice at taking pictures but I bought a Canon Rebel XT and absolutely love it.  I need to read the instruction book alot more but for the pull it our of the box and start shooting it has worked awesome.

Mine has been problem free and has helped me to take some of the best pictures I have ever taken.  I'm actually taking it to Mexico next week on vacation so it should get some heavy use hopefully.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:01:17 PM »
I'd suggest a used Canon 20D.  Amazing cameras, especially for the price.  All the canon units can be set in simple modes.  I've used the nikons- I don't like their lens selection, I hate how the nikons feel in my hand, and I cannot for the life of me get the digi nikons to get the white balance correct.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:49:02 AM »
how much does a used 20d usually go for?  I'm looking at DSLR's too.  I was thinking I'd get a nikon d50 just to get in the game, but I'm thinking it might just be better to get a good camera now rather than buy another one a year from now.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 01:54:36 AM »
Let me know if anyone's interested in a Digital Rebel, though I probably won't sell it until this summer. I'm looking to go 1-series next, but I need a job to facilitate that. :)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »
DMonteseri has some excelent info for you.  Are you hoping to do concert photos?  If so, look for low light performance.  What lenses/system are you currently using?  If you already have a ton of gear, choosing a system that can reuse your lenses can make a big difference if you have a significant investment in glass.  I have a D70 and really like it, but I do think Canon's sensors tend to perform better in low light, although the new D50 sensor does a better job than the D70.  As I remember the Canons will also go to ASA100 for bright daylight if you want to shoot larger apertures.  I'll also second the advice that the Nikon kit lens is very good while the Canon is not so great.  So if you go the Canon route you might just get a body and buy a good lens seperately. Both the Canon and Nikon have very good menus and you will be happy either way there.  I love digital and can't imagine going back to film.  The ease of shooting, low cost, and flexibility are unbeatable.  Just be ready to buy lots of DVDs for archiving.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »
how much does a used 20d usually go for?  I'm looking at DSLR's too.  I was thinking I'd get a nikon d50 just to get in the game, but I'm thinking it might just be better to get a good camera now rather than buy another one a year from now.

often well under 1k.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 11:28:13 AM »
Let me know if anyone's interested in a Digital Rebel, though I probably won't sell it until this summer. I'm looking to go 1-series next, but I need a job to facilitate that. :)

matt takes good care of his stuff.  he also shoots more than me, especially since i'm sans body at the moment.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
Hey do any of you guys have any good sites for the beginner photographer?  I have fried my brain reading through fredmiranda.com    I am looking for some real easy tips/tricks/tutorials. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 06:25:14 PM »

often well under 1k.

I see that.  Looks like I might get one.  Is buying a camera used a pretty safe thing to do?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »
So long as you buy from a place where you know people take care of their stuff - same reason I'd get recording gear from here or gearslutz, for example. I've had nothing but good experiences with the sale board at fredmiranda.com.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 07:16:34 PM »
yep, fredmiranda is probably where i'll buy from.  i lurk there on occasion and have heard good things about others buying there in the past.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 07:50:50 PM »
look for high post counts.  also search their name in the buy and sell forum.  best ways to do your research.  bad sellers don't stick around there long.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »
B&H sells used equipment for a good price and rates the condition very well so you know what to expect. I bought my Canon Digital rebel from them and it was like new.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com