Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What lens to buy  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
What lens to buy
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:08:07 PM »
Ok, I think I just pulled the plug on a 20d w/grip.  Woot!  Now I have a question on which lenses to get. 

I know what I need for concert photography, so my question is more on whats a good all around lens?  I'm going out to Napa Valley next month and would like something that would be a good for landscapes, party pictures, portraits, that kind of stuff.  Just a nice default lens.  Are the kit lenses any good, or should I try to upgrade from there.

I could probably spend around $300-400, maybe a little more, but would prefer a little less.

Thanks for the help.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: What lens to buy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
The 24-105 f/4 IS is probably THE all-around lens, but 24 is a little long on a 20D, plus it's over a grand. The 17-40 f/4 L is the lens I used most in Napa/Sonoma. It's a little short for portraits, but if you're also bringing one of the good concert lenses (50/1.8 or 85/1.8 ), you'll have that covered. The 17-40 is over $500, though.

The 17-85 f/4-5.6 is probably most of what you're looking for and is right around 500 bucks. It's a slower lens and the glass isn't as good as either of the two I mentioned above, but it will do the job.

If you're comfortable with switching lenses, try the three primes 24/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8. This really isn't a beginner's setup, and you don't give any indication of your skill level. This definitely isn't a "default lens" recommendation.

I hope that helped. For that price, you will have to make some kind of sacrifice, either in flexibility (slow zoom) or in ease-of-use (primes). I love my 17-40. The other nice thing is that it's L glass, so you can resell it at a good price.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:44:16 PM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »
unless you buy a 50 f/1.4 i highly suggest getting a 50 f/1.8.  It's like 60 bucks or something like that.  you will have to stop down to 2.8 or even 4 to get a nice crisp image, but it's a great lens and super cheap.

avoid lenses with f stops above 4.  there are exceptions for specialty lenses (super wides, super zooms) but for what you are looking for go with stuff sub 4.  Also, take a look at www.sigma4less.com for some good lenses.  lots of reviews of these lenses on fredmiranda.com/reviews
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:47 PM »
I haven't really picked up an SLR in the last 3 years or so, but before that I used one quite a bit for school.  Granted, I mostly just used the kit lens back then for everything.  That was a canon lens, and I still have it, I bet I could use that for some things too.

I'm guessing something like this then wouldn't really be worth my time then.

I honestly know nothing about glass.  I can take a picture but all the technical stuff about lenses I've forgotten over the years.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »
Also, take a look at www.sigma4less.com for some good lenses.  lots of reviews of these lenses on fredmiranda.com/reviews

good deal, time to do some reading.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »
avoid those zooms like the plague.  it's rare that they do any one part of that well.

i cant think of one zoom that does wide angle and distance well. 

i do have a few zooms in my kit, but they are reserved for certain ranges.

this is what i'm carting around at the moment and why i have it

canon 50 f/1.8- this is my beater lens.  if i need super low light and something i can get destroyed this is what i use

leica 50 f/1.4- this is my real shooting lens for mid range

sigma 15 f/3.5 fisheye- specialized lens for getting super wide with curvature

canon 70-200 f/2.8L this is my prime shooting lens for distance.  probably gets more use than any lens i own

canon 180 f/3.5L macro lens- this was my primary lens for macro shooting for a while, though i recently got another macro lens (coming in a moment on the list).  Debating whether to sell this or not.  It makes a great distance portrait lens, but it's slow on its AF.  VERY VERY sharp though.

Leica 100 f/2.8 macro- this is the baby of my macro lenses.  just when i didn't think it could get sharper this lens comes along and proves me way wrong

sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3- i keep this lens around and don't use it as much as i should.  it's really for zoo shooting, nature shooting, birding, etc.  I didn't want to spend the money on a 400mm lens, so I got this.  It's ok, not my favorite.  Must use a monopod or tripod with it in order to shoot well.

other things I use a lot

canon 1.4x multiplier
canon 2.0x multiplier
canon 580 flash
canon 550 flash
st-e2 flash remote

I've gotta be forgetting something in my kit, but thats what im using and why i use each piece.  im no longer in the hunt for lenses, though im sure the time will come that i will be. 

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:02:39 PM »
thanks guys +t's

time to get all this stuff sorted out.  I haven't did anything at work today.  And the guy i was messaging about the camera got off fredmiranda and never let me know if i had the cam or not.

ahh.

Offline adubphoto

• Taperssection Regular
  • What happened?!
    • www.boymangodshit.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:00:08 PM »
I've got a Sigma 24 to 70 f2.8 and I love it. it's about $400. Check out the link for examples of what it can do. I use it on a 30d so it's pretty much the same setup as what you would use if you had this lens.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=62738.0
Ret. Audio: Rode NT5's(rodents) > Omnistudio USB > Gateway5300> Cubase
Visual: Canon 30D // Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 // Canon 50mm f1.8 // Canon 70-200mm f2.8 // Canon 580EX

Aquarium Rescue Unit Flickr photo set | FLips Flickr photo set | GRAB Flickr photo set

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »
i hate it when singers wear hats.  you can NEVER get their eyes.

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »
Assumming you have the 50/1.8

Why not the Sigma 28-70/2.8.  It has gotten rave reviews and I believe the new price tag is right at $400.  Maybe that's the used price tag. I forget.  It would be one heck of an all around lens.
Edit: Oops. I see someone already beat me to it.

Make your next purchase the Sigma 70-200mm/2.8 and you've got a pretty nice lens kit.  This lens gets excellent reviews as well.

As time and money permits you can upgrade to the equivalent lens in the Canon L series.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »
well, the guy who i thought i was getting the 20d and the grip from decided to sell to someone else.  I guess thats what I get from just being a lurker on FM.

So I think I'm going to go with this...
http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=pricegrabber&sku=EOS20DW18-55

I was going to get just the body, but if I get the one with the lens, its only $50 more.

I pm'd a guy about a 17-40 f/4 L, but I may just go with the sigma 28-70, that looks good for starters along with the 50/1.8.

I'm gonna have to start upgrading my glass like I did my mics.  Maybe in 4 years I'll have all the toys I need and want to start a new hobby again, haha.

Thanks guys.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »
man im not sure i would buy from them- im not so excited about their reseller ratings.

what about this, its just a touch more and gets you the 30d (newer technology)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0624041&c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=2999&page=external

i know it looks like 400 dollars more, but watch slickdeals.net for a dell deal in the coming days- you may be able to knock 10-15% off of the price.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 05:01:34 PM »

what about this, its just a touch more and gets you the 30d (newer technology)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0624041&c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=2999&page=external

i know it looks like 400 dollars more, but watch slickdeals.net for a dell deal in the coming days- you may be able to knock 10-15% off of the price.

I saw that same 30D kit at Costco for $100 less than the Dell price.   Just FYI....

I bought the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens from a fellow TS.com member that upgraded to L glass and the wife and I are very happy with it.  It yields *much* better colors than the standard 18-55 EF-S kit lens in the comp photos I took when I first got the thing.

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »
yes, but at costco it's likely you'll have to pay sales tax, which may end up making it more expensive depending on where you are.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
well, i just ordered the sigma 28-70/2.8 and the canon 50/1.8.

I haven't ordered the camera yet, gonna wait until later on in the week.  Guess i'll if anything pops up in the meantime.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com