Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83466 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »
very nice!

Well, didn't get my lens today.  Ordered during bus. hours (before 4pm est) on Thursday with overnight shipping.  Figure process the order on Thursday.  Ships on Friday, recieve on Saturday, go out of town sunday night.  No dice.  They waited 2 days to process the order.  It went out today.  I like BH return policy but they are slow pokes on getting stuff shipped.  95% of my online shopping (which is substantial), I order and it is here 3 days, maybe 4, with standard ground.  This makes twice I've ordered overnight and recieved package 4 days later from them.  Fuckers!

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »
i got the new 40D yesterday and snapped a couple of pictures with the kit lens to get familiar with the camera(wow....never thought i'd be overwhelmed by technology :o ).  Although the WB is a little off, i really liked how this one came out.

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
I am inline to get that camera myself...please share some thoughts on it with us if you get a minute!  THANKS
audio - STC-11's (card's & omni's) > CA-9100 > R-09
photog - Canon 40D, 50mm 1.8 II, 70-200 4.0 L, 28-135 kit

Offline Brian

« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2007, 02:47:46 PM »
I am inline to get that camera myself...please share some thoughts on it with us if you get a minute!  THANKS

well....this is my first SLR and major camera purchase so i don't have much frame of reference.  I know enough about photography to have a basic understanding exposure, ISO, aperture, choosing the right glass....etc etc etc. so after thorough reading of the manual, i was able to make my way through the camera menus and settings fairly easily....but holy cow!  i haven't even come close to tapping the potential of this camera.  there are so many different settings and options it sort of makes my head spin. 

the 3" display is quite nice but not totally accurate to actual picture you are taking.  mine makes the picture look barely overexposed even at lower brightness settings, but i think that comes with the territory with LCD displays.  All of my pictures looked much better once i transferred to the computer.  I've read reviews that the utilizing the "live view" feature can make the camera really hot.  I prefer using the viewfinder anyway so it's no big deal.

the build quality is great!  very solid piece of gear.  the big improvement that the folks on fred miranda mention all the time is the Auto Focus.  They say it's much better than the 20/30d and rebels.  but like i said i have no frame of reference so i can't compare.  It is nice though, but there were certain circumstances i chose to go with the manual focus to get it just right.  I think that's pretty common among all cameras because if the auto focus was perfect.....nobody would ever buy anything other than point and shoots :)

i know...not the best review....but that's really all i can comment on at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:00:58 PM by Brian »

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »
Thanks alot for the quick response!

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »
I appreciate the review...just picked this camera (40d) up yesterday and so far I don't know what to say...pretty blown away by it!!!

Offline Brian

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
I appreciate the review...just picked this camera (40d) up yesterday and so far I don't know what to say...pretty blown away by it!!!

awesome! you're going to love that camera. it's really nice.  i currently don't have photoshop, but after working on pictures with the canon software, it's helped me choose better settings when i take the pictures.  it's been a great learning experience so far.

here's one of the better shots i took my first time out with the 50mm f/1.4
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:55:08 AM by Brian »

Offline calvinroots

• Taperssection Regular
  • Time Will Tell
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »
Nice shot bro!  I can't wait to learn a little more about it.  I am new to "real" camera's, but it's in my blood.  My father, grandfather, and Uncles are all photographers...I am lookin' 2 learn

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2007, 10:29:54 PM »
Thoughts?

Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Brian

« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »
i really like the maroonish-brown color you got, but don't feel qualified to really comment on much else without sounding like a jackass.

it seems dark(underexposed? i am looking on a crappy lcd monitor though so take it with a grain of salt) and i can't really tell what's dripping from the cork....wax i'm guessing?

but yeah....i like the color a lot.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #160 on: November 07, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »
i really like the maroonish-brown color you got, but don't feel qualified to really comment on much else without sounding like a jackass.

it seems dark(underexposed? i am looking on a crappy lcd monitor though so take it with a grain of salt) and i can't really tell what's dripping from the cork....wax i'm guessing?

just to show you differences in perspective..  Im not crazy about the colour.   I also think the exposure is fine, however it is obvious there is just not enough light to begin with.  Also, I had a hard time (off the bat) telling just what the image was, allthough knowing does improve the image.   hmm..  If you were to shoot over again, I'd say move up a stop so that a wee bit more of the bottle neck is in "focus" and add a bit more external light.   Overall, I kinda like it..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Brian

« Reply #161 on: November 07, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »

just to show you differences in perspective..  Im not crazy about the colour.   I also think the exposure is fine, however it is obvious there is just not enough light to begin with.  Also, I had a hard time (off the bat) telling just what the image was, allthough knowing does improve the image.   hmm..  If you were to shoot over again, I'd say move up a stop so that a wee bit more of the bottle neck is in "focus" and add a bit more external light.   Overall, I kinda like it..

+t for a better critique and another in 12 for the willow avatar :) val kilmer's best movie....evah! i must have watched that movie every other day when i was a kid.  such a great underrated 80's fantasy movie.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #162 on: November 07, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »
Thanks guys. +Ts to you both.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #163 on: November 07, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
Thoughts?

Ryan

also, Im not sure what equipment you have..but experiment a little with the flash...try turning the camera upside down when you take the pic, and make sure the flash if diffused, but it SHOULD give you a little reflection on the drop, which will greatly affect the image.  i agree that the stop should be bumped up a little.  I like the lighting, especially back lit like that, thats why i think a very diffuse flash for the drop may be very effective.  If the flash fills to much and ruins the type of light you had...try a small beam flash light at very close range pointed at the drop...  just something to get a nice reflection...

however...in doing this, it might look a tad weird as you will have a backlight for the main light, and the reflection will be "off"...so you might want to experiment with the light source (left and behind) so it is barely picked up by the shot.

all in all ...i like the idea...keep experimenting!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #164 on: November 08, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »
Thoughts?

In my experience, if you think you're on to something, you probably are.  Keep at it.

Just for kicks (not to mention I've been sick with the flu and have time to kill) I messed around with that photo last night and ended up with these.  As you can see, I took a different approach.  Tacky, huh?

"Detail"

The Acid House Remix?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:00:07 AM by Frank in JC »
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com