Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras  (Read 123523 times)

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder for DSLR cameras
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:28 AM »
hey all what do you have your pan settings at.... I recorded a show and the for the first  band, the levels were extremely low. The levels for the second band were extremely high. There was not a difference in the level of the PA. Thanks...

I have the level of Gain set to low and my pan is : channel 1: left 12, channel 2: Left 12 Channel 3 Left 12 Channel 4 Right 12

I ran Mk4> sax> Tascam xlr
MK21 > tiny box >Tascam xlr
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:02:09 AM by jmerin »
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
hey all what do you have your pan settings at.... I recorded a show and the for the for band, the levels were extremely low. The levels for the second band were extremely high. There was not a difference in the level of the PA. Thanks...

I have the level of Gain set to low and my pan is : channel 1: left 12, channel 2: Left 12 Channel 3 Left 12 Channel 4 Right 12

I guess it depends on how the recorder is saving the files. Are you getting 2 stereo wav files or 4 mono wav files?

If 4 - no need to pan. If 2 - then pan.

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
hey all what do you have your pan settings at.... I recorded a show and the for the for band, the levels were extremely low. The levels for the second band were extremely high. There was not a difference in the level of the PA. Thanks...

I guess it depends on how the recorder is saving the files. Are you getting 2 stereo wav files or 4 mono wav files?

I am getting a stereo track for 1 2 and a stereo track for 3 4.

I do not understand why the levels would be way off from each band.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »

You're referring to the board feed?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:53 AM »

I guess it would be obvious from the files if you had used the "Dual Record" function and had a set of files that were Xdb lower than the others.

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »

I guess it would be obvious from the files if you had used the "Dual Record" function and had a set of files that were Xdb lower than the others.

I do not believe that I had duel record on. Duel record mixes all 4 channels right. I will tape another show on Friday and see what happens.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
hey all what do you have your pan settings at.... I recorded a show and the for the first  band, the levels were extremely low. The levels for the second band were extremely high. There was not a difference in the level of the PA. Thanks...

Mine are set the same way and I recorded as two separate stereo tracks that could be mixed later.  My first recording came out nice I thought.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »

I do not believe that I had duel record on. Duel record mixes all 4 channels right. I will tape another show on Friday and see what happens.

I don't believe Dual Record mixes all 4 channels.  I believe it records one stereo input at the gain you set and then it records a duplicate of that source at a -6dB setting as a "safety" track.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
I don't believe Dual Record mixes all 4 channels.  I believe it records one stereo input at the gain you set and then it records a duplicate of that source at a -6dB setting as a "safety" track.

Correct.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

stevetoney

« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

Mine are set the same way and I recorded as two separate stereo tracks that could be mixed later.  My first recording came out nice I thought.

Cheese. 

I don't have a 70d but I've had a 744 and a 680, so Jon and I have been texting and trying to figure out the menu structure, so I've read through the manual.  I'm confused about the pan setting on the input menu, especially with respect to your response above.  The manual does a lousy job of explaining it, but unless I'm misunderstanding, the pan setting needs to be correct in order for your channels to be written properly onto your recorded files.

Since Jon said that channel 1 is set to left 12 and channel two is also set to left 12, wouldn't that mean that you are routing the same mic input onto both channels 1 and 2?  In other words, I'd think you'd want channel 1 to be assigned left 12 and channel two to be assigned right 12 so that your recording comes out in stereo.

Also, if you're running four mics the way Jon is running them (two separate rigs), wouldn't the routing for channels three and four be left 34 and right 34?  If they are left 12 and right 12, then wouldn't you simply be recording the same pair of mics on channels 3 and 4 as you're recording onto channels 1 and 2?

Unless I am misunderstanding the pan function on the inputs, if left 12 is selected on 3 out of the four channels as you've stated above, it seems to me that you're recording only one out of the four mics onto three separate recorded channels.

Finally, for the type of recording we all do (two mic stereo recording) I can't figure out when or why anyone would ever choose 'center' on the pan menu.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:17:26 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
Sorry, I was typing before thinking.

This past Monday I ran 4 channels into the deck.

I had a pair of DPA4061's > Tinybox > into channels 1/2.  Channel 1 was panned Left @ 12, channel 2 was panned Right @ 12.

The second set of mics were my Peluso CEMC6's for channels 3/4.  Channel 3 was panned left @ 12, channel 4 was panned right @ 12.

That is was gave the correct stereo separation and levels, etc.

I would not ever use center pan unless I was running 3 mice and wanted one as a center channel.  I don't ever see myself doing that since I have 4 mics though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:58:52 AM by Cheesecadet »

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

stevetoney

« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »

Correct.

From Page 25 of the Manual...

Simultaneously Recording Two Files At Different Input Levels (DUAL REC)

This recorder can simultaneously record a second recording at a different input level along with the regular recording.  For example, when recording with microphones, you can make an oridinary recording with the input level set as high as possible and simultaneously record at a slightly lower input level for safety. 

stevetoney

« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »

I had a pair of DPA4061's > Tinybox > into channels 1/2.  Channel 1 was panned Left @ 12, channel 2 was panned Right @ 12.

The second set of mics were my Peluso CEMC6's for channels 3/4.  Channel 3 was panned left @ 12, channel 4 was panned right @ 12.

Thanks for the feedback Cheese.  Helps to clarify. 

So Jon, your channels were peaking at the same level on left and right channels 1 and 2 because you have the same input routed to channel 1/2.  You need to switch pan for channel 2 from left 12 to right 12.  No changes need to be made to the pan setting for channel 3/4.

I would not ever use center pan unless I was running 3 mice and wanted one as a center channel.  I don't ever see myself doing that since I have 4 mics though.

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:22:37 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2014, 02:02:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Cheese.  Helps to clarify. 

So Jon, your channels were peaking at the same level on left and right channels 1 and 2 because you have the same input routed to channel 1/2.  You need to switch pan for channel 2 from left 12 to right 12.  No changes need to be made to the pan setting for channel 3/4.

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
I know nothing of this device, but you may find that panning functions may differ according to circumstance.  For instance, if recording four inputs direct to stereo, panning of those four inputs would be likely to be written to the stereo file as panned.  If recording four inputs to four channels, panning might simply be for monitoring and will not affect the recorded files.  If I had the device, I would check things at home eg by recording in various track combinations but with only one mic actually connected, and pan that left and right and centre while recording, then play it back and see if the panning was recorded or not, etc etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com