Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any handheld recorder A/D comps out there?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Any handheld recorder A/D comps out there?
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:34:07 PM »
A search has turned up random info but nothing tangable.

Has anyone done a comp of the A/D sections of the popular handheld recorders?

I'm thinking of picking one up to use out of either my brick or 248.  Won't be using any mic-in or built in mics.  Strictly pre > handheld.   Absolute preference to the smaller cell phone size recorders.  R09/R09HR, M10, DR1, etc?

Anyone have any thoughts or links?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Any handheld recorder A/D comps out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
I ran 3 recorders for an attempted comp last weekend.  Part of that was one set of mics > preamp > 'Y' cable split to R-09 / DR-2d which should acurately compare the line-input>ADC performance of those two recorders.  The 3rd used an alternate pair of mics into an identical signal chain (same model preamp > R-09) to comp the mics.  Unfortunately I spaced it and left both R-09s on rec/pause..  :P

I may retry next weekend.

[edit]
There was a line level comp of the DR-2d vs R-09HR (player>line-in) posted in one of the DR-2d threads not that long ago, first few pages of the thread as I recall.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:04:40 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Johnny Thunder

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
GB, you really need top apply that hack to make the R-09's start recording with one touch! ;)

-JT

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:29:47 PM »
GB, you really need top apply that hack to make the R-09's start recording with one touch! ;)

-JT

I actually prefer it going to rec/pause- It lets me set levels and make sure everything ready to go with the recorder in rec/pause then lock it there with the hold-button.  Then all I need to do is unlock and hit play to start recording, so it's essentially one button push after unlocking.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
I worked with Ehren to do a comp of the Sony D50 vs the M10 using the dual outputs of his Naiant littlebox.

Unfortunately, he's got the m10 files and I've got the d50 files.  We really need to get each others files, and get the comp put together.

I'm guessing somewhere in the recordings on my computer, I have the files needed for an A/D comp of the Sony D50 vs Oade C-mod R44, using an EAA PSP2 preamp to feed both.  I also have the files for an Oade R44 vs Tascam 680 comp, again fed by my PSP2, and a I just recorded a Panic show with PSP2>680 and PSP2>Sony D50.

So, if there is interest, I could dig around to make comps of:

- Sony D50 vs Oade R44
- Sony D50 vs Tascam 680
- Tascam 680 vs Oade R44

None of these are comps of handhelds vs each other though, save for the d50 vs m10 comp if I can get the files from Ehren.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
I would be interested to see how the D50 stacks up against the all in one units!!  :headphones:

I worked with Ehren to do a comp of the Sony D50 vs the M10 using the dual outputs of his Naiant littlebox.

Unfortunately, he's got the m10 files and I've got the d50 files.  We really need to get each others files, and get the comp put together.

I'm guessing somewhere in the recordings on my computer, I have the files needed for an A/D comp of the Sony D50 vs Oade C-mod R44, using an EAA PSP2 preamp to feed both.  I also have the files for an Oade R44 vs Tascam 680 comp, again fed by my PSP2, and a I just recorded a Panic show with PSP2>680 and PSP2>Sony D50.

So, if there is interest, I could dig around to make comps of:

- Sony D50 vs Oade R44
- Sony D50 vs Tascam 680
- Tascam 680 vs Oade R44

None of these are comps of handhelds vs each other though, save for the d50 vs m10 comp if I can get the files from Ehren.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com