Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 Direct into Microtrack TRS  (Read 3230 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
AT853 Direct into Microtrack TRS
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »
I understand there is already a wealth of information regarding the Microtracker both I and II, maybe too much. Yes, I've searched and combed through the results.
The AT website says that you can phantom power the 853's with 9-52V. It also says that the phantom impedance is 200ohms, which would yield a current of 150mA at 30V (MT 1 supposedly) or about 75x the "typical current draw" published. I have read that the MT phantom will fry these. This makes no sense given the rated voltage but maybe not so with the impedance.

I already have a 9100 box so that's not the issue, I just want to run with one box if possible.

Anybody know if I can do this? If so, what would be the wiring from the TRS to the mini xlr on the AT 853's? I am thinking those mics are unbalanced with ground on the outside, phantom on one pin, and signal from each of the mics on the other 2 pins. I have a MT1.

If the MT will indeed fry the mics, is there some way to limit the current to run them without an additional box?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline setboy

Re: AT853 Direct into Microtrack TRS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
to run AT853 with phantom power you need an adapter to take down the power so you don't kill your mics. If the MT really out puts phantom power it will indeed kill your mics

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:41 PM »
Anybody have any additional information? Why are these mics rated to 52V phantom power if that will kill them?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline setboy

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
Anybody have any additional information? Why are these mics rated to 52V phantom power if that will kill them?

They are only rated to that with the adapters on them.............

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
What are these adapters you are talking about? Do they limit current or something? Why does the spec sheet fail to mention these adapters?

Offline setboy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT8538
This is one kind...there are others as well

if you search phantom adapter around here you will come up for some answers

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »
OK, I see that AT published the spec in regards to the mic/phantom adapter combo, not for the mic on its own.

What I'm wondering now is can I buy one of these phantom adapters which presumably bump the voltage down to 9V and wire it in such that both mics are powered by the same output? Or does each mic need its own separate circuit? A single phantom power unit is considerably smaller than my CA9100 (and wouldn't eat 9V batteries like the 9100) but if I need two of them I might as well stick with what I have.

Offline setboy

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
don't know he answer to that...................

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »
OK, I see that AT published the spec in regards to the mic/phantom adapter combo, not for the mic on its own.

What I'm wondering now is can I buy one of these phantom adapters which presumably bump the voltage down to 9V and wire it in such that both mics are powered by the same output? Or does each mic need its own separate circuit? A single phantom power unit is considerably smaller than my CA9100 (and wouldn't eat 9V batteries like the 9100) but if I need two of them I might as well stick with what I have.

Honestly, the 9100 would be much smaller than the adaptors and trs cables.  Just have Darktrain or one of the other cable makers make you a 1/8th to TRS and you are good to go.  I went with the M10 to further reduce my  >:D footprint.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:02:43 PM »
Well, I'm still stuck trying to get an SD card formatted, so the whole thing might be a worthless effort anyway. I can read it from my computer from the MT/usb, and I loaded the newer firmware 1.4.5 but still says the card needs formatting every time it boots. Do I just keep trying different cards until it works? Could get expensive. If I get past that point I might try the simple circuits shown in another thread- caps, resistors, and diodes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:50:28 PM by eman »

Online dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
I have not had any trouble with 7 or 8 different brands of CF card formatted on the MT. I hope you mean CF and not SD, as SD would not work in the MT. If it is an CF to SD converter, that will not work either. Also, you should format the card in the MT, not on your computer. That should make the difference. Good luck!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
Doh! Blew $12 on the converter. Starting to think this is a waste of time and blowing too much cash in trying to not blow any cash. Who wants a CF-SD converter?

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:50:17 PM »
OK, got my new CF card 8Gig which is really 7. Looking back on those old MT2496 threads people were shelling out hundreds for CF cards so I guess I don't feel so bad about paying $23 for 8 gigs. Kinda cheap, actually.

I have an order in for the components in this circuit from
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#basics

which is a good resource for phantom power and electrets. I plan to package it in one small box that will plug directly into the top of the MT with no cable.

Balanced electret microphone circuit

This circuit gives out balanced signals and has around 2 kohms output impedance which enables it to be
used successfully with mic cables of several meters or tens of meters.

10u
    +---------o-------------||------o-----------------  HOT    (2)
    |            |                            |
    |            |-                           |
    |         CAPSULE                 22k
    |             |+                         |
    |              |            10u         |
    |             o-------------||------|------o----------  COLD   (3)
   2k2          |                          |        |
    |            2k2                      |      22k
    |              |                      |        |
    |             o--330R---o----o------o------+
    |           +|            +|       |+
    |           10u        12V  10u
    |            -|          -|       |-
  --o---------o---------o----o------------------------  GROUND (1)

The component "12V" is a 12 Volt zener diode

The 10u capacitors in the HOT and COLD signal leads should be high-quality plastic film types. The values
of these may be reduced to 2u2 if the preamp input impedance is 10k or greater. If you for some reason use
electrolytics for the capacitors which couple the audio signal then those these mutst have >50V working
voltage and you must bypass them
with 100n plastic film caps. The 10u capacitor in parallel with the zener should be a tantalum type, and
can have a 10n plastic film cap in parallel if you wish.

The cable to the capsule should be twin+shield. The shield should be connected to ground near the zener
diode, and left unconnected at the capsule. The pinout given is the standard for XLR3 mic connectors.

Source: PZM Modifications web page by Christopher Hicks.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:02:19 PM by eman »

Offline eman

• Return of the Shredi
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
The AT853's are wired with the (-) sides tied together in a 3 pin mini xlr for the CA9100 so I guess to use this circuit I'll have to get a 5 pin mini xlr connector for the MT2496 and rewire the input split cable for the CA9100 with a 5 pin as well. I'll have to redo the wiring on the perfectly functional CA setup to do this so if anyone feels that this is a stupid thing to try please let me know sooner than later. It was $22 for the components, board, and a spool of wire.

In the picture, I have the components for one channel mounted on the board. I will only use half of that board, or one square and the stuff on it will be mirrored. The CA9100 is underneath to show scale and how much pocket space will be saved. I plan to make a small box myself out of scrap plastic if I can't find the perfect one to mount this in. I can cut down the trs ground to maybe make it a little smaller.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:39:30 PM by eman »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com